American Pale Ale Three Floyds Zombie Dust Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
These are vintage Goblets from the 60's/70's made by the Federal Glass Company...

Here you go:
http://www.etsy.com/listing/177908718/vintage-retro-beer-glasses-water-goblets?ref=related-0

Same glass, just in a "smoke" color. Check this link: http://www.etsy.com/listing/91266016/vintage-glassware-goblet-glasses-smoke

I literally just bought 4 of these (umsmoked) from the local Goodwill. $0.99/ea+tax.

Edit: hey, they had 2-4 more. I'd be willing to trade for some ZD homebrew. :)

Just brewed the extract version this last Tuesday. I'm hoping I did't screw it up by steeping my grains in 6 gallons of water instead of a small amount. It smells awesome and is still bubbling away!

Brewed this today. I've been doing BIAB and this is my 5th all-grain batch. Each time I've hit very low efficiencies, usually around 65%.

Today, I made sure the LHBS double milled the grain and I mashed for 90 minutes.

My best brew day ever! I hit 72% pre-boil efficiency. I boiled a little too hard and ended up at 5.75gal an 1.063 OG.

I am stoked that it looks like I've gotten a hold of BIAB!

Just brewed this, used the 6 gallon AG. First time with my ghetto fly sparge hit 1.072OG. Those citra hops smell fantastic. Used US-05 I think its slightly cleaner than 04 , with my IPA's I want a clean yeast. Even my local LHBS agreed. Can't wait!!

Brewed this yesterday using my ghetto BIAB with batch sparge on my stove - used the oven trick to maintain mash temp - worked great! I made a 3 gallon batch (using BIAB for test batches now, when I don't have time to make it over to the brother's to brew on our real setup). OG was 1.067 - so I had pretty good efficiency. Ended up with exactly 3 gallons in the fermenter despite using all whole cones. Pitched some 1968 and she is already bubbling away in the bathroom. Looking forward to this beer. I love citra and I recall liking the original a great deal. If I can I will post pics of how it turns out!

I brewed this AG biab this past sunday, and it is happily fermenting away. My fermentation fridge sure does smell good...

Racking the ZD to secondary to finish some clean up. The preliminary taste was amazing. Looking forward to the final product.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Home Brew mobile app

1394464395521.jpg

Anybody not sure whether or not to try this needs to just do it. Mine is fully developed and flowing from the keg. I'm doing a side by side with the real thing bottled on 2/11. As you can see mine is a little darker and a lot cloudier. This thing is really close. The real thing is a little crisper, maybe a little more bitter. My clone is a tad bit sweeter. This will be a regular beer on tap for me. Thanks for the recipe Skeezer! :rockin: :rockin: :rockin:

photo.jpg

Just brewed this Saturday. I changed my recipe to 14 pounds of 2 row, I milled my own grain for the first time, and I now realize my efficiency is much improved over my LHBS milling. My OG was 1090, hopefully my 1968 will ferment enough and it won't be too malty. Guess the dry hops will help.

Me and my uncle each brewed a 5 gallon batch together. LHBS only had enough citra for one. We subbed galaxy for the citra for his batch. We are calling it zombie stardust.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I am looking at the math here in brewersfriend. Seems like I am coming up a little short on the ABV. And I neeed that ABV...lol

Anyone see anything I missed? This is for the 5 gallon batch.

rZ402PV.jpg

Tool doesn't matter, it is based on your actually efficiency. If it is lower, then you need to use more grain. Looking back at Beersmith, i used 75% as mine for the original post.

Tool doesn't matter, it is based on your actually efficiency. If it is lower, then you need to use more grain. Looking back at Beersmith, i used 75% as mine for the original post.

Thanks.

Thats sound good. Can't wait to brew this but this will be after I finish the Allagash Curieux.

I am looking at the math here in brewersfriend. Seems like I am coming up a little short on the ABV. And I neeed that ABV...lol

Anyone see anything I missed? This is for the 5 gallon batch.

rZ402PV.jpg

Your attenuation will likely end up better than 69%.

Sent from my MB865 using Home Brew mobile app

Can anyone comment on the water profile they used to brew this beer?

This is what I'm thinking:
Code:
Calcium      (ppm)	132.5
Magnesium (ppm)	        9.0
Sodium        (ppm)	26.0
Sulfate        (ppm)	300.0
Chloride      (ppm)	37.0
Bicarbonate (ppm)	47.1

Does that look good? Any changes?

First batch here.

We brewed this a little over 4 weeks ago. The bottles are conditioning right now. We switched the 60 min hops from citra to warrior. Every taste sample we have tried was absolutely delicious.

I am very familiar with the real ZD... can't wait til mine is carbed.
This beer stinks like grapefruit.

First batch here.

We brewed this a little over 4 weeks ago. The bottles are conditioning right now. We switched the 60 min hops from citra to warrior. Every taste sample we have tried was absolutely delicious.

I am very familiar with the real ZD... can't wait til mine is carbed.
This beer stinks like grapefruit.

Hey can you give me your breakdown of timing of hops. I thought on the first page it was

1.00 oz Citra [12.40%] (15 min) Hops 21.7 IBU
0.62 oz Citra [12.40%] (First Wort Hop) Hops 18.1 IBU
1.00 oz Citra [12.40%] (10 min) Hops 15.8 IBU
1.00 oz Citra [12.40%] (5 min) Hops 8.7 IBU
1.00 oz Citra [12.40%] (1 min) Hops 1.9 IBU
2.50 oz Citra [12.40%] (Dry Hop 10 days) Hops -

I must be reading these times backwards

1oz warrior @ 60
1oz citra @ 15, 10, 5, 1
Dry hopped 3oz @ 21 days

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Home Brew mobile app

1oz warrior @ 60
1oz citra @ 15, 10, 5, 1
Dry hopped 3oz @ 21 days

Cool...see I didnt see anything at 60 min for the 5gallon batch.

Thanks

Edit...

Does not look like it has any mentioning of adding at 60 min for the 5 gallon all grain. But I did switch the 15 min from Citra to Warrior and MAN does it shoot the IBU's up.

Just bottled this one up and it smells and tastes great so far. Followed the recipe besides used US-05 because the LHS did not have US-04 at the time. Will let you guys know how it turns out in a couple of weeks but so far its looking good.

Solid Recipe - thanks for sharing and everyone who contributed. I think the dryhop is too aggressive if you're trying to clone ZD. Freshly kegged off the dryhop and it tasted like a bag of skittles - not necessarily bad - just not ZD cloned.

I will be rebrewing, but I'm going to cut the dryhop in half and simplify the hop additions to FWH, 10min and 0 min with a whirlpool to see how it ends up. I ended up a few SRM dark but I contribute this mainly to some kettle caramelization with my setup.

zd-62535.jpg

I just re brewed this, but used a combination of Chinook and Citra. I used the Chinook more for bittering, and citra towards the end/citra dry hop for the aroma. Should be pretty spicy, but we shall see in a few weeks.

Cool...see I didnt see anything at 60 min for the 5gallon batch.

Thanks

Edit...

Does not look like it has any mentioning of adding at 60 min for the 5 gallon all grain. But I did switch the 15 min from Citra to Warrior and MAN does it shoot the IBU's up.

The 60 minute addition is replaced by the First Wort Hop (fwh) addition. Just add those hops in during sparge and leave them in for the whole boil. If you are going to sub out hops this is the addition I would recommend subbing, since that is where your bitterness is coming from.

It's a great grain bill. You can have blast rebrewing it with a lot if different hop combos and it'll still be great.

That's what we just did. Our first was just bottled, and for our second batch we just did an all simcoe ipa using the exact same grain bill.

Another thing I noticed worth mentioning is how my yeast cake at the bottom of the fermenter was a lot smaller and cleaner looking then with previous batches of us-05. Not sure of the reason but this beer ended at 1.012 and had a sg of 1.060. Fermented this at 63 degrees and followed skeezers fermentation times. Also, it turned out really clean from the hydrometer sample. The cold crashing at36 degrees for four days and the gelatin for two days made this beer crystal clear. Will see how it carbs up but I went off of a bottling calculator, on a cold crash brew it said to add less priming sugar because when cold the actual beer itself has less dissolved (something) and u don't need as much sugars to prime. Is that true? Well anyways it looks like the only thing that might mess this up is low carbonation, crossing my fingers that the calculator was right.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Has anyone used just s05 on this recipe with good results? I completely forgot this called for s04 and forgot to get while at the store.

We used wyeast 1056.

Tried our first bottle, ever, on Friday night. It was only one week into bottling so somewhat flat... this stuff is incredible. I have access to the real deal, and this is extremely similar.

I have to say that we deviated from the original recipe by using warrior as the bittering hops.

Has anyone used just s05 on this recipe with good results? I completely forgot this called for s04 and forgot to get while at the store.

I used US 05, but it is not finished yet so I can not tell you how it turned out yet. If you read earlier in the thread people have used it and it comes in dryer and not quite the same as real Zombie Dust which I guess has some sweetness in it. It should come out fine though from what others have said, so I would go with it and not worry. By the way you can always get 04 for the next batch.;)

Has anyone used WLP001? Have a vial and looking for my next recipe, really want to do this one tho.

Latest posts

Back