American Pale Ale Three Floyds Zombie Dust Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I finally got to brew this recipe today. Using Weyermann equivalents of malts, added a 20 minute hopstand. As previously mentioned I wanted to test the Northwest Ale (1332) for the first time, and I had gotten a 14 month old package. But I stepped it up thrice, gave it lots of love, and it was bubbling away after a few hours.

Possibly my most enjoyable brew day so far. Hit my numbers spot on, no major mistakes despite introducing a pump and a sous vide cooker.

Keeping it at 66, which is the low end for this yeast, for 3-4 days before ramping a bit. If I can get it down to 1.016 or so I think it'll be awesome.

Entered my version of this into a local BJCP comp, won the entire IPA class and got a second overall (~60 beers entered).
For those interested, I scored a 44 average :)
Pretty happy with that!

Really excited to hear about everyones hop stand turn outs on this one. My brew day went really well yesterday until I just couldn't dial in my OG. Nailed my estimated preboil gravity of 1.052-1.053 and it only went to 1.060! It got stuck there at the 45 minute mark and I even boiled another 15-20 minutes past the 60 minute mark to try to get this thing to bump up....but I got nothin! So I ended with 11.5 gallons instead of my targeted 12 and will just have to deal with the 1.060...so disappointing. Everything else went great though...chilled the boil to 165-170 and stuck it there for 40 minutes and whirlpooled the 11.5oz of Citra...chilled to pitching temp and separated into two separate fermenters and pitched one with S-04 and the other with 1968. Used my brand new oxygenation kit 2.0 for the very first time from Northern Brewer...that thing is wicked awesome and very very convenient and beneficial. My wort was blowing off like crazy already this morning after pitching yesterday at 5pm....It's never taken off that fast before. Got the fermentation chamber set to ferment these at 68 (probe stuck to the side of the S-04 one) and will let them sit now for 2 weeks til transferring to secondary and dry hopping with 3oz for each. Will keep you posted on my FG findings and throughout til that first pull off the tap! Can't wait! and as always, thanks again Skeezer!

Really excited to hear about everyones hop stand turn outs on this one. My brew day went really well yesterday until I just couldn't dial in my OG. Nailed my estimated preboil gravity of 1.052-1.053 and it only went to 1.060! It got stuck there at the 45 minute mark and I even boiled another 15-20 minutes past the 60 minute mark to try to get this thing to bump up....but I got nothin! So I ended with 11.5 gallons instead of my targeted 12 and will just have to deal with the 1.060...so disappointing. Everything else went great though...chilled the boil to 165-170 and stuck it there for 40 minutes and whirlpooled the 11.5oz of Citra...chilled to pitching temp and separated into two separate fermenters and pitched one with S-04 and the other with 1968. Used my brand new oxygenation kit 2.0 for the very first time from Northern Brewer...that thing is wicked awesome and very very convenient and beneficial. My wort was blowing off like crazy already this morning after pitching yesterday at 5pm....It's never taken off that fast before. Got the fermentation chamber set to ferment these at 68 (probe stuck to the side of the S-04 one) and will let them sit now for 2 weeks til transferring to secondary and dry hopping with 3oz for each. Will keep you posted on my FG findings and throughout til that first pull off the tap! Can't wait! and as always, thanks again Skeezer!

The amount of sugar in the wort doesn't change, so it was likely either a gravity reading or pre-boil volume was off. Based on the numbers above, pre-boil volume would have been around 13g. You would have needed to boil it down to ~11g to get 1.063 or 10.6g to get 1.065.

To determine boil-off required, take Pre-boil gravity * Pre-boil volume, then divide that by the desired SG.

.053 * 13g = .689
.689 / .065 = 10.6g

I am sure it will end up good either way.

Cheers:mug:

Anyone try this with azacca instead of citra?

Footheels brewery in NC is using Azacca and Sorachi Ace hops in one of their beers called Hopjob IPA. I had it this weekend and very flavorful and I like the taste better than citra. I've not had a chance to do much more research. I had never heard of either of these hops before.

I finally got to brew this recipe today. Using Weyermann equivalents of malts, added a 20 minute hopstand. As previously mentioned I wanted to test the Northwest Ale (1332) for the first time, and I had gotten a 14 month old package. But I stepped it up thrice, gave it lots of love, and it was bubbling away after a few hours.

Possibly my most enjoyable brew day so far. Hit my numbers spot on, no major mistakes despite introducing a pump and a sous vide cooker.

Keeping it at 66, which is the low end for this yeast, for 3-4 days before ramping a bit. If I can get it down to 1.016 or so I think it'll be awesome.

About 30 hours in and my fast ferment sample is down to 1.015-1.016. This is my first go with a fast ferment, so not sure how long it would usually take to reach FG. It settled out a bit, while still having a thin layer of krausen on top, so I raused it a bit.

If this is as low as the fast ferment will go I suspect I'm gonna land at best at 1.017-1.018?

About 30 hours in and my fast ferment sample is down to 1.015-1.016. This is my first go with a fast ferment, so not sure how long it would usually take to reach FG. It settled out a bit, while still having a thin layer of krausen on top, so I raused it a bit.

If this is as low as the fast ferment will go I suspect I'm gonna land at best at 1.017-1.018?

If it is at 1.015-1.016 why would you think 1.017-1.018 would be the best you will end with? Seems like the worst you should end with is 1.015-1.016 at this point.

If it is at 1.015-1.016 why would you think 1.017-1.018 would be the best you will end with? Seems like the worst you should end with is 1.015-1.016 at this point.

if im not mistaken, fast ferment tests yield maximum attenuation possible for the wort/yeast the sample is taken from

this allows the brewmaster to understand when his/her beer is finished, or nearing full attenuation for purposes of dry hopping, racking etc

if im not mistaken, fast ferment tests yield maximum attenuation possible for the wort/yeast the sample is taken from

this allows the brewmaster to understand when his/her beer is finished, or nearing full attenuation for purposes of dry hopping, racking etc

Ah, ok. I was thinking he meant his using that yeast was a test, not doing another test along with it. Makes sense now, thanks

Ah, ok. I was thinking he meant his using that yeast was a test, not doing another test along with it. Makes sense now, thanks

Yeah, fast ferment is basically a grossly overpitched half-pint of wort that is fermented at higher temps.

I've never used one before, but since I was unsure about this yeast both in terms of AA but also if it was actually alive, I wanted an early warning in case I needed to pitch some S-04 as well.

So after 5 days at 66 I bumped it to 70, and now after a week since pitching it's at 1.017. The fermentation was very vigorous, switched to blow off tube at day 3, it was pushing krausen throu the tube until day 6.

Going on a 10 day holiday on Thursday, so on Wednesday I'll dry-hop and start ramping down by 5F per day until 35 and keep it there until I get back.

brewed this this past sunday. PM gave me a gravity of 1.042. brewsmith calculated i needed to add 3lbs 6oz of dme to hit my target of 1.069. ended up hitting 1.076.

10.00 g Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 60.0 mins Water Agent 1 -
6 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 2 48.0 %
1 lbs Munich - Light 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 3 8.0 %
8.0 oz CaraFoam (1.8 SRM) Grain 4 4.0 %
8.0 oz Caramel / Crystal 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 5 4.0 %
8.0 oz Melanoidin (25.0 SRM) Grain 6 4.0 %
0.75 oz Citra [13.40 %] - First Wort 20.0 min Hop 7 21.5 IBUs
3 lbs Extra Light Dry Extract (3.0 SRM) Dry Extract 8 24.0 %
1 lbs Corn Sugar (Dextrose) (0.0 SRM) Sugar 9 8.0 %
0.50 oz Citra [13.40 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 10 10.7 IBUs
1.00 oz Citra [13.40 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 11 15.6 IBUs
0.50 oz Nelson Sauvin [11.90 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 12 6.9 IBUs
1.00 oz Citra [13.40 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 13 8.6 IBUs
1.00 oz Citra [13.40 %] - Boil 1.0 min Hop 14 1.9 IBUs
0.50 oz Citra [13.40 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 15.0 Hop 15 5.3 IBUs
0.50 oz Nelson Sauvin [12.00 %] - Steep/Whirlpoo Hop 16 4.8 IBUs
0.50 oz Nelson Sauvin [12.00 %] - Steep/Whirlpoo Hop 17 4.8 IBUs
1.0 pkg London ESB Ale (Wyeast Labs #1968) [124. Yeast 18 -
3.00 oz Citra [11.00 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days Hop 19 0.0 IBUs
2.00 oz Nelson Sauvin [12.00 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Da Hop 20 0.0 IBUs

Brewed this last night everything went smooth until a giant moth flew into the wort during the boil (gross) hopefully it doesn't cause any weird moth flavor!

Kegged and on gas. I'll post up on Monday when it's all carbed and cooled. My warm flat sample I must say tasted absolutely spot on. And that's speaking for the s-04 batch. My 1968 yeast batch won't be hooked up to gas til my summer IPA line goes dry.

Kegged and on gas. I'll post up on Monday when it's all carbed and cooled. My warm flat sample I must say tasted absolutely spot on. And that's speaking for the s-04 batch. My 1968 yeast batch won't be hooked up to gas til my summer IPA line goes dry.

The two batches of this I've made and used 04 and did side by side blind tests with my wife and a friend who gets me the zd and it was so close it might as well have been a spot on recipe. Really doesn't make me want to jump through hoops to get the real thing when this recipe is so darn close. Next batch I'm gonna try with 1968.

Just brewed my second batch today. Sub'd some mosiac for some of the citra (and increased to total a little as well). We will see how it turns out!

brewed this this past sunday. PM gave me a gravity of 1.042. brewsmith calculated i needed to add 3lbs 6oz of dme to hit my target of 1.069. ended up hitting 1.076.

10.00 g Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 60.0 mins Water Agent 1 -
6 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 2 48.0 %
1 lbs Munich - Light 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 3 8.0 %
8.0 oz CaraFoam (1.8 SRM) Grain 4 4.0 %
8.0 oz Caramel / Crystal 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 5 4.0 %
8.0 oz Melanoidin (25.0 SRM) Grain 6 4.0 %
0.75 oz Citra [13.40 %] - First Wort 20.0 min Hop 7 21.5 IBUs
3 lbs Extra Light Dry Extract (3.0 SRM) Dry Extract 8 24.0 %
1 lbs Corn Sugar (Dextrose) (0.0 SRM) Sugar 9 8.0 %
0.50 oz Citra [13.40 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 10 10.7 IBUs
1.00 oz Citra [13.40 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 11 15.6 IBUs
0.50 oz Nelson Sauvin [11.90 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 12 6.9 IBUs
1.00 oz Citra [13.40 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 13 8.6 IBUs
1.00 oz Citra [13.40 %] - Boil 1.0 min Hop 14 1.9 IBUs
0.50 oz Citra [13.40 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 15.0 Hop 15 5.3 IBUs
0.50 oz Nelson Sauvin [12.00 %] - Steep/Whirlpoo Hop 16 4.8 IBUs
0.50 oz Nelson Sauvin [12.00 %] - Steep/Whirlpoo Hop 17 4.8 IBUs
1.0 pkg London ESB Ale (Wyeast Labs #1968) [124. Yeast 18 -
3.00 oz Citra [11.00 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days Hop 19 0.0 IBUs
2.00 oz Nelson Sauvin [12.00 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Da Hop 20 0.0 IBUs

Yesterday i racked this to the secondary and dry hopped. Gravity was at 1.015 giving me a abv of 8% so far. Taste was solid can't wait to taste the final product

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1435798787.395947.jpg
S-04 batch....turned out absolutely amazing. And this is even with my bad city water I recently got tested. Turns out it's terrible for...well...pretty much everything. Can't wait to take another turn at this with the same method and with correct water and water treatment. I got my 1968 yeast batch hooked up to the gas now right next to this one and it will be ready Friday. Really excited for the side by side taste test. If anyone is interested in doing this they way I did I really highly recommend it. I posted it a couple pages back and it's 100% Citra.

View attachment 287802
S-04 batch....turned out absolutely amazing. And this is even with my bad city water I recently got tested. Turns out it's terrible for...well...pretty much everything. Can't wait to take another turn at this with the same method and with correct water and water treatment. I got my 1968 yeast batch hooked up to the gas now right next to this one and it will be ready Friday. Really excited for the side by side taste test. If anyone is interested in doing this they way I did I really highly recommend it. I posted it a couple pages back and it's 100% Citra.

You did a little citra to bitter than all the rest whirlpool right? Let me know how the 1968 compares to the s04. I've only used 1968 and really love it..

No Citra in the boil at all. It was 100% HopShot for bittering. Then 11.5 oz of Citra for a 45 minute hop stand at 165-170 degrees post boil. Then 3 oz of dry hop in each 5 gallon fermenter.

Well....I love the 1968 over the s-04 but the wifey likes the s-04 better. IMO the s-04 has a drier bite kinda taste and feel. 1968 is much more rounded and smoother....almost more flavorful. So all in all I guess it depends on taste preference. Bothe very very good though via HopShot and whirlpool method.

Well....I love the 1968 over the s-04 but the wifey likes the s-04 better. IMO the s-04 has a drier bite kinda taste and feel. 1968 is much more rounded and smoother....almost more flavorful. So all in all I guess it depends on taste preference. Bothe very very good though via HopShot and whirlpool method.

Copper, did the different yeasts have different finishing gravities? Were they from the same boil? I've used S-04 on my last several batches and all have finished lower than I expected. Had another IPA go from 1.082 all the way to 1.008! That sucka is a beast.

They actually finished out exactly the same. Started at 1.060(a little low per the recipe) and ended at 1.014. Gotta 6% ABV on this one so I was just fine with it. They both were of the same boil just finally split into two different fermenters at the end. Fermented at the same temp (67 degrees)in the same chamber and everything. It was funny last night though I got home from work and and pulled a glass of the s-04 and it tasted just as good as the 1968 batch. I think what threw my palate off was I had a daisy cutter before

I see copper2hopper mention that he whirlpooled the hops (and apparently all of them).

Could someone who is familiar with this thread quote someone else who has also done whirlpooling for at least some of the hops? I'd just like to see what others have tried too.

I also like the idea of adding a little bit more bitterness as I see many others suggest that it's missing that extra bitterness. So which bittering hop and how much?

I see copper2hopper mention that he whirlpooled the hops (and apparently all of them).

Could someone who is familiar with this thread quote someone else who has also done whirlpooling for at least some of the hops? I'd just like to see what others have tried too.

I also like the idea of adding a little bit more bitterness as I see many others suggest that it's missing that extra bitterness. So which bittering hop and how much?

When I do this recipe i only add my bittering hops then I do 4 oz at FO and and 4 more at 165 degrees whirlpool. Huge improvement!!

And what is your timing on the FO and whirlpool hops?

It usually takes the FO addition about 25 min or so to drop down to my whirlpool temp. Then I usually do about the same 25-30 min for whirlpool. Make sure you keep a lid on your kettle. Don't want to lose that great aroma. Also if you don't have pump revirculating give the pot a stir every 5 min to keep the hops suspended. Another big help was getting the ph dialed into 5.4 really helps hops to come through.

Brewed a 5 gallon batch with the OP's recipe. Not sure how close to ZD it is, since I have none on hand. But this is by and far my most favorite brew to date. Everyone that has tried it raved about it, and numerous persons said I should enter it in a competition.

I hope for the same success on my next batch.

So i took the original grain bill added a pound of sugar to bump the abv and added nelson Sauvin to the hop schedule mixed with citra.

I'm horrible at describing tastings but here it goes. Smell is strong citra but definitely has a little something mixed in there. In the taste I'm actually picking up alot of orange/orange peel and the bitterness doesn't hit you until way late

View attachment 1437105596576.jpg

All ingredients picked up and ready to be brewed this weekend. I plan to do:
.75 oz Citra @ FWH
4 oz Citra @ Flame out for 20 min (stirring every few minutes to create whirlpool)
4 oz Citra @ 20 minutes into flame out @165*F for an additional 30 minutes (stirring every few minutes to create whirlpool)
Dry hop with 3 oz

== 11.75 oz hops :mug:

Brewing this again this weekend. I slightly increased the malt bill and the hops. Overall I am very well pleased with this recipe. Thanks for sharing it!

I haven't seen a single person who wasn't impressed with this beer. I think it could even convert some non-hopheads to good beer...

Back