American Pale Ale Three Floyds Zombie Dust Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have changed this recipe a bit. Have not done FWH. Cascade and galaxy was used on boiling. Citra was used on hop stand and dry hopping.

Anyway, this brew tasted amazing when I was bottling. Great malty flavors, quite grainy. And how beautiful it is!

Here is my grain bill:
Pale Ale Malt - 75%
Munich Malt - 12.5%
Melanoidin Malt - 5%
Viena Malt - 3.7%
Crystal 40 - 3.7%

When you show percentages how do you know how many pounds of each you need? For instance a 12 gallon batch?

When you show percentages how do you know how many pounds of each you need? For instance a 12 gallon batch?

% is actually a better way to do it since weights will depend on each person's efficiency. As mentioned above, there are tools that can do it. The way I do it in Beersmith is just put each grains % as pounds (5%=5lbs, 7.5%=7.5lbs, etc) then scale the OG to the desired amount and it will adjust. Then you can scale the batch size also.

I Just had my first Zombie Dust last night and decided I need to have a lot of this stuff on tap! :D I'll be brewing this one! Thanks, skeezer!

I have by no means read all of the pages in this thread yet, but flipping through the first couple dozen, it appears all the side-by-sides have the clone a little darker. Is this just because those were extract batches or is the C60 a little too dark? I swapped it with C40 and the resulting SRM is 7.7 (down from 8.5). This could be all the color change needed. Thoughts?

Recipe color for AG is spot on. See my picture comparison a few pages back.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

This really came out great. After 2 weeks carbing giving them a week in the fridge I have to start hiding them from the mbc drinking family so I can have more than a sixer.

Cheers!

I missed the mark, after trying it and having a couple friends try and confirm it definitely is tasting different than Zombie. The aroma is spot on but the citra grapefruit taste does not come through. it taste a little more malty and one friend said a little peppery.

by my gravity readings i know i have higher abv than zombie 7.5 vs 6.5, and the Citra hops i had were 14.4AA. But where could i have missed something? I topped off to 5 gallons should I have topped off to 5.5 gallons? is that why I got the higher gravity?

Extract version

Just tasted ours. Not cloned but good either way. I get tons of ripe mango and pineapple using the 1968. I also split using the S-04 and don't get as much ripe fruit flavors. I think the S-04 is closer in taste but a real fruit bomb for both. This is very tasty, just not exactly cloned.

I'm thinking there has to be a mix of hops and not all Citra even though they say it is. Maybe some Mosaic mixed in??

I would say I am getting good head...LOL

IMG_20140607_223306.jpg

I just cracked my first bottle of this beer over the weekend and i must say that its definately an excellent summertime IPA. My batch even survived over a month in the fermenter and a move. I thought for sure she would be a gonner.

I've made it three times with SafAle English Ale (S-04) and LOVE it, I'll prob rebrew it again soon with the same yeast

Friday the 13th seems like a pretty good day to brew this one up. Low on citra, so I'm subbing in some Mosaic in spots

So, I just got back the results from my version of this at a local competition. I followed the recipe, except I upped the total calculated IBUs to 79 by upping the FWH to 44.5 IBUs (calculated in beersmith). I also used WLP005 since it's what I had on hand.

I got a 34 and 37. I think they are decent scores, but I actually don't love the beer that much. Didn't stop me from drinking it though. It just doesn't have a very strong bitterness despite upping the IBUs. I know ZD is an APA, but the few times I've had it, I felt the bitterness was closer to an IPA. I'm not sure what it is. I targeted a mash pH of 5.4, but only got 5.57, so I corrected it 5.47, but that was after ~20 minutes, so it might have been too late. I added MgSO4 and gypsum to get to 300 ppm SO4, 106 ppm Ca, and 25 ppm Mg. The bitterness does seem smoother and not as harsh, which everyone says that's what FWH hopping does, but I wasn't expecting it to mute the hoppiness that much. Maybe I just like the harsh hoppiness more than smooth hoppiness.

Anyone have any ideas on what I did wrong, if anything? The few times I've had the original I've enjoyed it. Could it be the yeast? I see the 1968 is the same as WLP002, which is very similar to WLP005, so I rationalized that it would be close enough?

Could it be the FWH that I don't like? Any other ideas?

Are you responding to my post? If so I fermented at 66-67F then increased to 68-69F.

I used harvested slurry but it was a couple weeks old so I used a portion of it and made a starter. I used mrmalty for the calculations.

Just brewed this a few days ago with a buddy. We are both new brewers and have never dry hopped before. Lack of preparation led to us putting the hop pellets at the bottom of the primary before even pouring the wort onto it and pitching the yeast.

I've read that the fermentation will eat up most of the hop oils and could also produce a vegetable-like flavor. Should we be concerned about any ill effects? Should we dry hop again? If so, when? And How?

Also, we a currently fermenting at room temp of 62 (basement). Fermentation was very active on days 1 and 2, but has slowed down substantially here on day 3. Is this normal or is our yeast stalling?

So many questions! Cheers!

Brewing a 3G batch tomm. I was wondering if it's absolutely necessary to dry hop in a secondary? I was planning on fermenting my 3G batch in a 5g carboy. Problem is I only have one 5g carboy so I was hoping to get everything done in the primary. I do however have a 6g carboy that I could use as a primary and move to a 5g for my secondary if needed. Whatcha think?

Brewing a 3G batch tomm. I was wondering if it's absolutely necessary to dry hop in a secondary? I was planning on fermenting my 3G batch in a 5g carboy. Problem is I only have one 5g carboy so I was hoping to get everything done in the primary. I do however have a 6g carboy that I could use as a primary and move to a 5g for my secondary if needed. Whatcha think?

The 5g will be fine. You don't have to secondary.

I did mine in the 6.5 g carboy. Ferment, dryhop, all of it. It came up super tasty. Just kicked it on Saturday morning. I would try and contain the dryhop addition though. I had hop particles floating in my beer through the duration of the keg. It got bad towards the end, when they could be tasted. Dryhop in a bag or but a bag over the end of your siphon. It grossed out a few people. I thought it was fine though.

Again, skeet, this is a phenomenal recipe. Great work!

This will be my next batch it just gets rave reviews and I'm trying to get my hands on some of the real stuff to compare it too just have to get to my buddys house to get it. lol

Brewed this up yesterday. Did the extract version and did a full boil. Even in my 9 gallon pot, I had 2 small boilovers and lost a little bit of hops. Aargh! There was LOT of break and hop particles after I chilled. I did a whirlpool in the kettle and waited 30 minutes while I cleaned up some stuff and it didn't seem to help. The cone didn't seem to form at all. The siphon got clogged several times. I ended up using a fine steel strainer and had to clean it out 3 times before I finished racking and there was still about 0.5 gallons of stuff that settled to the bottom of the carboy.

I added a bit of Wyeast nutrient on a recommendation from the LHS and the fermentation is going good. It's been about 16 hours since I pitched and the fermentation is very active. I'm using a 6.5 gal Big Mouth Bubbler for the first time and it is cool to see how much movement there is in a fermatation.

Entered this in a local competition and scored a 40.5. BJCP national judge commented "Where do I buy this?" And my mash temps weren't perfectly under control as it was my first batch. Cannot say enough that is a great recipe and hopefully when I brew it again I will come close to the actual Zombie Dust. Thank you to skeezerpleezer.

Entered this in a local competition and scored a 40.5. BJCP national judge commented "Where do I buy this?" And my mash temps weren't perfectly under control as it was my first batch. Cannot say enough that is a great recipe and hopefully when I brew it again I will come close to the actual Zombie Dust. Thank you to skeezerpleezer.

Care to post your recipe and/or Beersmith file?

I think that the scores for the competition I entered are a little high. I was worried because I had heard that the IPA category in general were scored pretty low but then my score was very high and I did not even medal. I got first in the same comp for English Mild Ale with a 30 so who knows.

I brewed it all grain exactly as shown on the first page. Used RO water with 2 tsp gypsum added. I was working on equipment new to me so between 10-20 minutes after dough in my temps hit nearly 160 but quickly cooled back down to 151-152 for the rest of the mash. Fermented with S-04 and kept the temps pretty well controlled in the 64-66 range (was in basement not ferm chamber so some small fluctuations). In my mind it could have been better had the mash temps been under more precise control, however the comments seem to appreciate the little bit of extra sweetness/maltiness. I believe mine finished around 1.018 to 1.020.

Edit: One thing I think helped my score was that it was fined with gelatin. For future IPAs I think I would try to fine before the dry hop. To me the nose suffered a little but not much from the gelatin. It worked beautifully for me, after a gross pint the rest of the beer from the keg was a beautiful golden color you could see straight through. Not quite commercial clarity but very close and between the color, clarity, and head retention from the caramel malts it was a beauty.

Wondering what water profile people are using with this beer? Tap water, filtered tap water or RO with mineral additions

This is what I used, which was based off the "Pale ale" profile in Bru'n Water:

Ca - 106 ppm
Mg - 25 ppm
Na - 26 ppm
SO4 - 300 ppm
Cl - 37 ppm
HCO3 - 36 ppm

I used tap water with added gypsum and epsom salt to get to the target sulfate level. Also acidified to 5.4 with lactic acid.

Back