American Pale Ale Three Floyds Zombie Dust Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have 1 oz of Summt remaining from my last brew day. Could I substitute the FWH addition of Citra to Summit without major changes in taste if i calculate our the correct IBUs?

MikeyLXT said:
I have 1 oz of Summt remaining from my last brew day. Could I substitute the FWH addition of Citra to Summit without major changes in taste if i calculate our the correct IBUs?
I have done that before and it turned out fine.

Poured the 1st pint yesterday of my 3rd batch of this recipe. This one used whole leaf hops from 2012 and is so much more citrusy than the previous. You never know from hop source to hop source. I'm digging it though! Lots of mango flavors where before, just general citrusy tastes. I have another half pound of this hops source as well as a new delivery of 2013 Citra. It will be interesting to see the differences between the 2 hop sources in the next batches. I also used a pound less of 2 row pale and got a 6.3% abv. This one is kind of a zombie dust xmas special! I believe I will add that pound of pale back in though going forward.

So glad this thread is still rockin! I've yet to try a real Three Floyd's Zombie Dust and would gladly pay to have some shipped but never have even come close to getting that accomplished. Great recipe none the less!

Poured the 1st pint yesterday of my 3rd batch of this recipe. This one used whole leaf hops from 2012 and is so much more citrusy than the previous. You never know from hop source to hop source. I'm digging it though! Lots of mango flavors where before, just general citrusy tastes. I have another half pound of this hops source as well as a new delivery of 2013 Citra. It will be interesting to see the differences between the 2 hop sources in the next batches. I also used a pound less of 2 row pale and got a 6.3% abv. This one is kind of a zombie dust xmas special! I believe I will add that pound of pale back in though going forward.

So glad this thread is still rockin! I've yet to try a real Three Floyd's Zombie Dust and would gladly pay to have some shipped but never have even come close to getting that accomplished. Great recipe none the less!

Zombie Dust has changed and is believed to no longer be all Citra. In my opinion, this recipe tastes better than real Zombie Dust (as does Toppling Goliath pseudoSue).

Adaman05 said:
Zombie Dust has changed and is believed to no longer be all Citra. In my opinion, this recipe tastes better than real Zombie Dust (as does Toppling Goliath pseudoSue).

Yeah that's been discussed multiple times. While the initial bettering hop probably changed nothing contributing to flavor or aroma really has IMO.

Pseudo sue is good stuff

Subd for my next IPA. I had poptarts version last night where he used MO instead of 2-row, probably the best HB IPA ive had. Hop aroma was intense and he said it was 5 months old! Cant wait to make this, thanks skeez :mug:

2013-12-19 19.31.13.jpg

I am going for my second attempt on this next week, and I wanted to see if the wyeast 1968 is still the preferred strain to use? I will def make a fat starter for my 12 gallon batch. Also.... If using 1968, what temps are you guys mashing at and fermenting at?

Just got my 1lb. bag of Citra from Hops Direct last week from the latest crop! Stoked!!!

I would like to brew this, have never tried it but like the sound of it and have enjoyed other Three Floyds beer. I only have 5oz of Citra leaf left, after adjusting the recipe for a 5.5gal batch I would need 8oz. Any good ideas oh how to make this work? I have lots of Columbus, Bravo, Belma, Cascade, Pearle and Willamette. And some Centennial, Mosaic, Chinook, Falconers Flight and Northern Brewer.

I apologize if this has been asked before, I read 30 or so of the 81 pages of this thread and didn't see a good answer.

I would like to brew this, have never tried it but like the sound of it and have enjoyed other Three Floyds beer. I only have 5oz of Citra leaf left, after adjusting the recipe for a 5.5gal batch I would need 8oz. Any good ideas oh how to make this work? I have lots of Columbus, Bravo, Belma, Cascade, Pearle and Willamette. And some Centennial, Mosaic, Chinook, Falconers Flight and Northern Brewer.

I apologize if this has been asked before, I read 30 or so of the 81 pages of this thread and didn't see a good answer.

Mosaic will work great.

I think there is only 1oz of Mosaic left, but maybe a little more. Will changing the FWH to something else make a big difference or is that one to leave alone?

I'd save at least 3oz of citra for dry hopping and mix match the other hops you have for whatever IBU you're comfortable with. It won't be exactly the same recipe but am sure it will taste great!

Brewed this one yesterday as my 4th all grain batch. I hit all of my numbers and the brew process wasn't as hectic as the first couple of all grain batches. It's nice having really cold tap water right now as I was able to cool to a couple of degrees below my pitching temp. Had everything cleaned up and the batch in the fermentation freezer well before noon. Then IT happened. Some teenager decided to run off the road and take out a utility pole. (Don't worry, other than a trashed car, he was fine). My power went out and the first thing I thought of was OH CRAP, MY BEER! Fortunately, the utility guys got it back up and alive within 2 hours and my temps had only risen about 1 degree. Just checked on it and it is bubbling away nicely.

I am adding the recipe from page 1 to my beersmith 2 and It is calculating a very different IBU from what the page 1 recipe says.
beersmith is close on everything else.

which should I trust? paste from beersmith 2 is below..

beersmithimage_zps7567dc53.jpg

Brewed today, and things went well. Used white labs 02, couldn't get the wyeast strain. Mashed a bit low, breaking in some new gear. Was at 149-49, was aiming for 150

I just brewed this last night and it smells incredible, but holy nutballs this thing is an angry fermenter.

Brewed this today as my first All grain brew after doing 7 extract batches. Everything went as planned to my great surprise.

I am adding the recipe from page 1 to my beersmith 2 and It is calculating a very different IBU from what the page 1 recipe says.
beersmith is close on everything else.

which should I trust? paste from beersmith 2 is below..

beersmithimage_zps7567dc53.jpg

Wow, that's a big dry hop schedule!

I just tapped my second keg. The first keg I didn't care for that much. Second batch was in secondary for a month or two on some whole leaf Citra 3 oz I believe. Its not fully carbed yet, but taste is much smoother I think. Not sure why its so different.

Good recipe.

TD

I've just tried this recently. Warmer serving temps in upper 40s there was a distinct melon flavor which goes away in the 30's. I thought the beer was weak overall, but it is only an APA and a pretty good one at that. More dry hops would certainly be interesting. Perhaps a perfect summertime thirst quencher. Though it seemed to pack quite a buzz while not tasting any alcohol at all (s04).

I've just tried this recently. Warmer serving temps in upper 40s there was a distinct melon flavor which goes away in the 30's. I thought the beer was weak overall, but it is only an APA and a pretty good one at that. More dry hops would certainly be interesting. Perhaps a perfect summertime thirst quencher. Though it seemed to pack quite a buzz while not tasting any alcohol at all (s04).

That was a very ambiguous post

11745970064_16ea0562ee_z.jpg

9 days primary, 12 days dry hop. 19 days in the keg at 12 psi up until tonight (dropped it down to 8 psi). It took a bit to come along, but it smells incredible now. Taste isn't quite there, mild citrus and quite floral. Light body, carbonation is decent enough. I'm sure I'll do a better job of it in the future, but I'm reasonably happy with how it turned out. OG 1.062, FG 1.011.

That was a very ambiguous post

Perhaps your picking up on my "weak" comment? That was in reference to how little of the hops you can taste especially with using 10 oz of them. Citra in my past experiences has been a massive flavor. That and also the fact that this recipe is in the ipa section when it's really just a pale ale. I expected more flavor is all. Hope this helps.

9 days primary, 12 days dry hop. 19 days in the keg at 12 psi up until tonight (dropped it down to 8 psi). It took a bit to come along, but it smells incredible now. Taste isn't quite there, mild citrus and quite floral. Light body, carbonation is decent enough. I'm sure I'll do a better job of it in the future, but I'm reasonably happy with how it turned out. OG 1.062, FG 1.011.

I've only had real zombie dust once but I remember it being lighter in color than that. I'll have to wait and she how mine comes out. Its at 7 days in primary now.

Ok, so this is my first attempt of what I'm sure will be many at the zombie dust recipe. First concern is my original gravity was a little low at 1.042, I' sure it is just going to end up being a low ABV beer. I can live with that so long as the flavor is good. Which brings me to my second concern, I have found a mixture of thoughts on how long to dry hop. I've read several recipes that say 3, 7, 10, and even 17 days. My opinion is 17 days is going to be way to long and end up with an overly bitter or off flavored beer. So I'm thinking the 7-10 day range should be just right. Any advice here would be great.

I've read quite a bit about how dry-hopping for longer than ten days gives grassy off flavors but then I suppose there may be several variables involved such as pellet or leaf, or possibly what kind of hops are being used. As far as the OG being .042 that definitely seems low. Mine came in at around 1.055 and I was still concerned about that being too low. Did you go AG or extract?

Anymore, I usually dryhop for 5-7 days (i will update the OP) if doing a single dryhop addition. I got some input from Matt Brynildson (Firestone Walker) about dryhopping and he recommended doing 2 smaller doses of dryhops for 3-4 days each. So if doing that for this, you could dryhop for 3-4 days with 1.5oz, remove them, then add the other 1.5oz for another 3-4 days. That is what I do for my Wookey Jack clone, as well as a lot of other dryhopped beers.

I tried this again, today. My previous failure left me nervous. Being new to all-grain, there were some things I goofed up during the last attempt. My old thermometer was inaccurate so my last batch wasn't mashed at the right temp. I purchased a new one and calibrated it prior to starting, today. I also took my time with sparging and didn't try to rush it like last time (didn't know better). This time, I hit expected pre-boil gravity perfectly and was only off on post-boil gravity by two points. I'm very hopeful for this one. This will also be my first time kegging instead of bottling.

Fingers crossed.

I've read quite a bit about how dry-hopping for longer than ten days gives grassy off flavors but then I suppose there may be several variables involved such as pellet or leaf, or possibly what kind of hops are being used. As far as the OG being .042 that definitely seems low. Mine came in at around 1.055 and I was still concerned about that being too low. Did you go AG or extract?

I did an AG and I will be dry hopping with leaves.

Docbuzz24 said:
Ok, so this is my first attempt of what I'm sure will be many at the zombie dust recipe. First concern is my original gravity was a little low at 1.042, I' sure it is just going to end up being a low ABV beer. I can live with that so long as the flavor is good. Which brings me to my second concern, I have found a mixture of thoughts on how long to dry hop. I've read several recipes that say 3, 7, 10, and even 17 days. My opinion is 17 days is going to be way to long and end up with an overly bitter or off flavored beer. So I'm thinking the 7-10 day range should be just right. Any advice here would be great.

From what I hear 10 days is plenty but most people say that it takes a long time for off favors (grassy) to develop from dry hoping. Also you don't get any bitterness from dry hopping. Mostly aroma and some flavor.

If your og was too low you either have too much water, not enough grain, mashed at wrong temp, mash too short, or perhaps you did not correct for wort temperature when you took OG measurement?

Has anyone cold crashed this beer?
Shoud I do it before or,after I dry hop?

Or perhaps not at all?

Well I'm pretty sure I know what what to my gravity. Even though multi temp mashing is more for unmodified grains I prefer using it for all my mashes. I feel I have a little more control with the end product. I.e. body, abv, flavor. For this batch my initial rest temp was to high and I wasn't able to recover it. Therefore not having enough starches to convert into fermentable sugars later in the mashing process. I have used multi temp mashing for all my AG batches with much success. This time I just fouled up.

Sent from my HTC One using Home Brew mobile app

Sifted through loads of pages on this thread and couldnt find what I needed (if its been answered and I missed it, my apologies)

How and when do I use the FWH method when doing an all extract brew? Do I just steep the hops with a the grains for 20-30 min? If so, do I then remove the hops or let em float for the entire brew? Im new to FWH, and im finding limited info for extract brews

Sanker said:
Sifted through loads of pages on this thread and couldnt find what I needed (if its been answered and I missed it, my apologies) How and when do I use the FWH method when doing an all extract brew? Do I just steep the hops with a the grains for 20-30 min? If so, do I then remove the hops or let em float for the entire brew? Im new to FWH, and im finding limited info for extract brews

That's what I would do. Put them in a separate bag, then leave in throughout the boil.

I just checked on my current batch and the white stuff u see in the pic is floating all throughout the brew. The dry hops were added yesterday so just unsure if it's normal or not.

1389396068859.jpg

I just checked on my current batch and the white stuff u see in the pic is floating all throughout the brew. The dry hops were added yesterday so just unsure if it's normal or not.

Don't fret it, looks fine.

Back