Thread about saving yeast from your starter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hwk-I-St8

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I very recently read a thread where a guy was doing oversized starters and saving 1/3 in a test tube looking thing in a rack in his fridge (as opposed to harvesting from the yeast cake).

This seemed like a really simple process and I'd like to try, but now I can't find the thread. Can anybody help?

I wasn't worried so much about the calculator, I wanted to find the test tube type containers and storage rack that he was using. I think they'll greatly reduce my wife's angst over storing yeast in the fridge.

I'm certainly no expert, but I don't think the cell concentration of slurry from a starter will be enough to get 100bn cells into a 50ml test tube like that. I may be wrong though!

I am interested in this approach also, though I don't like the canning jars. Too hard to sterilize, I am thinking about some sort of Pyrex test tube or jar, that I could flame sterilize over the stove.

It just takes more time, and they have the potential to break, and cooling them off has potential to introduce contamination. Usually when people can this isn't a problem because the food is in the jar. Pyrex you can just sit it on the flame heat it up, keep it sealed, cools off in minutes...

I use 250ml media jars which can all be boiled. I got some 1l kilner jars but they're annoying because the lids need to be taken out at 85°C. The media jars and lids can be boiled all together (even put in a pressure cooker, though I don't have one).

I use 250ml media jars which can all be boiled. I got some 1l kilner jars but they're annoying because the lids need to be taken out at 85°C. The media jars and lids can be boiled all together (even put in a pressure cooker, though I don't have one).

Nothing especially difficult, just takes time and planning, and if you accidentally sneeze on one then you have to start all over... Pyrex is nice to work with.

I use the 250 ml Erlenmeyer flasks with foil on top. If you want them sterile,you can heat them in an oven or I just dunk them in sanitizer. I've had some strains go 3 yrs before I noticed any change in flavor or robustness.

I have been using 15ml sterile tubes for years. Bought an overstock off of ebay ( I actually thought I was buying 50ml but they turned out to be 15). 600 tubes for 10 dollars, I have a time of these things. When it settles out there is usually about 1/2 the tube filled with yeast. I put that into a 1.6L starter 2 to 3 days before brewing and haven't had an issue yet. When I buy yeast my first use I will build a 4L starter and fill 10 to 12 of these before pitching the rest. Every 2 months they are stored I add another vial to the starter. So if I have a set that is 4 months old I will put 3 vials into the 1.6 starter. Then on the last one I will overbuild again and start over. I have gone 7 generations with my current 1056. For less used yeasts (wlp 380 for instance) I will use a small mason jar as I know I only use it once or twice a year.

I wasn't worried so much about the calculator, I wanted to find the test tube type containers and storage rack that he was using. I think they'll greatly reduce my wife's angst over storing yeast in the fridge.

I use White Labs yeast vials that I saved. Just rinse, dry and store with a bit of isopropyl alcohol 70%. Swirl the alcohol around a bit and allow to air dry before use. Works great. Jelly jars would also work well and can be sterilized in the same manner.

I'm certainly no expert, but I don't think the cell concentration of slurry from a starter will be enough to get 100bn cells into a 50ml test tube like that. I may be wrong though!

it's the same thing that your white labs yeast comes in. Granted they're harvesting in a more precise scientific fashion...

I personally always use sanitized 250ml mason jars...much easier to pour slurry into :)

I use 4 ounce Dynarex specimen cups. They are cheap, sterile out of the bag (though I sanitize to be sure) and large enough to collect and clean yeast from the fermentation bucket. They would work equally as well for your use. Also, I find specimen cups in the fridge a conversation starter. :mug:

I am interested in this approach also, though I don't like the canning jars. Too hard to sterilize, I am thinking about some sort of Pyrex test tube or jar, that I could flame sterilize over the stove.

while it may not be 100% sterile, you can sanitize the hell out of the little 4oz mason jars easily. i basically boil water, pour it into the mason jar, tighten the lid, and after about a minute, turn it upside down. hot water just sanitized (sterilized?) the bottom of the jar, then the top of the jar and lid when you flipped it over.

maybe not 100% sterilization as opposed to sanitizing, but never had an infection. they're small, cheap, and stack easy.

and the wife might be happier being able to "borrow" some of your jars alot more than she would be staring at test tubes in the fridge....

I just dunk 'em in a bucket o' Starsan for a few seconds and pour in my yeast. If it needs to be any harder than that, somebody's overthinking the process.

Interesting. I've been boiling my mason jars to store my "overbuilt" yeast for years, each time wondering, "Do I really need to be doing this...?"

I use the 250 ml Erlenmeyer flasks with foil on top. If you want them sterile,you can heat them in an oven or I just dunk them in sanitizer. I've had some strains go 3 yrs before I noticed any change in flavor or robustness.

Just overbuilding every time?

Interesting. I've been boiling my mason jars to store my "overbuilt" yeast for years, each time wondering, "Do I really need to be doing this...?"

I was a "boiler" once. I used the microwave to boil water in the jar for a couple minutes and attach the lid while still hot, invert, let cool. It worked fine, but took a little while to cool down. Then I decided I would try living dangerously and see what would happen with just a Starsan dunk and have been doing it that way for the past couple of years with no issues. Both ways work, but one takes less time and effort, so that's the path I choose these days.

I agree with the 16oz mason jars and StarSan dunk. Make 2L starter, crash & decant half, save 10oz or so for 100b, pitch the rest. Repeat. When starter begins to show differences, lag time, krausen, whatever, buy another packet and start over. It's really not that difficult.

I use soda bottle 'preforms' (like White Labs uses/used). Starsan them, lids and a syringe and bank away. They take up far less room than jars, and there are inexpensive stands to hold them. They are sometimes sold as 'test tubes'.
I also keep 1/2 pint mason jars of sterilized water on hand for various yeast activity.

I just make a 1.5L starter on a stir plate, pour out as much as fits into an 8 ounce mason jar and use the rest on my upcoming batch. The only thing I do to the mason jar is wash it with soap and water and spray it with a spray bottle with starsan solution. It works great! I've been doing it for about a year with a packet of US05 and counting the two batches I made this past weekend I've been able to build and maintain 8 batches from that original packet.

In fact this past weekend, when I made the two batches i built a 2L starter, harvested 8 ounces and divided up the remainder. Both took off like a rocket.

I just make a 1.5L starter on a stir plate, pour out as much as fits into an 8 ounce mason jar and use the rest on my upcoming batch. The only thing I do to the mason jar is wash it with soap and water and spray it with a spray bottle with starsan solution. It works great! I've been doing it for about a year with a packet of US05 and counting the two batches I made this past weekend I've been able to build and maintain 8 batches from that original packet.

In fact this past weekend, when I made the two batches i built a 2L starter, harvested 8 ounces and divided up the remainder. Both took off like a rocket.

you're making starters on stirplate with dry yeast?

It doesn't make much sense to make a new starter with dry yeast because extra packets are so cheap. But when he's talking about harvesting and reusing yeast, well it's the same as liquid yeast at that point.

Back