Thoughts on US-05 yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

straylight77

Reaction score
I've made my first 2 batches using US-05 (both pale ales). I've been enjoying the first for the past week or so and I'm about to bottle my second. I have a couple of observations and I'd like to hear some your thoughts.

Flocculation. When I leave some bottles in the fridge for about a week, it's still really cloudy. One or two of the bottles cleared up and they tasted much cleaner and hops came through more. The cloudiness actually increased when I chilled them so perhaps it's just chill haze -- but I thought that didn't affect the flavour? Should I just be more patient and keep them chilled for longer?

Attenuation. My next batch when from OG of 1.046 down to 1.005 -- that's an apparent attenuation of ~90% (right)? I didn't think it could get that high. The first batch got around 83%. I used extract with .75-1 lbs of crystal/carapils for both batches. Those numbers may not actually be correct -- I didn't adjust for temp. But I measured both OG and FG and the same temperature. It should be an accurate measurement of the difference correct? So at 1.005 I'm expecting a much dryer less body type of beer. Anyone else hit these types of numbers with US-05?

My benchmark that I'm comparing these to is another batch I did a while ago using Notty. It was a pre-boiled wort kit that I just opened and fermented (and screwed up so I consider that batch #0) :)

Sorry for the wordy post but, now that I have a couple of batches under my belt, I'd love to compare with your experiences.

I just had us-05 drop a pale from .046 to .006.... its has high attenuation and flocculation. Try using Irish moss to clear your beer up a bit and let it sit in the fermentor for 4 weeks.

I just had us-05 drop a pale from .046 to .006.... its has high attenuation and flocculation. Try using Irish moss to clear your beer up a bit and let it sit in the fermentor for 4 weeks.

I did a 2-gal (MrBeer-based, but with DME replacing the "booster"/sugar and honey added) hoppy red ale recently. Hoping to bottle this weekend actually.

Used Fermentis S-05 and got a big reaction within the first 12-15 hours. Got a ton of krausen.

Had an OG of 1.065, and it's read 1.016 after 2 weeks. Cloudy as hell though. Given I'm completely new, I don't know if the cloudiness will settle in the bottles or not.

When does one use irish moss in the process? during the boil? at end of boil? added to the fermenter?

IPA from 1060 to 1010. Still conditioning though. If there are clarity issues, I would presume they are more a function of my lack of a decent wort chiller. I do ice baths and take :30 min to cool effectively.

Most common way is to toss it in last 15 minutes of the boil.

I see this everywhere, but my bag from LHBS says "Last 45 min of boil". Always makes me wonder if it is a typo. (Maybe meant to say "45 min into boil")

If you want your beer to finish really clear, change to S04. It compacts to the bottom of your fermenter in few days and leave a nice and clear beer. As for attnuation, it will depend on your recipe. I get it from 70 to 85% on my all grain beers.

I see this everywhere, but my bag from LHBS says "Last 45 min of boil". Always makes me wonder if it is a typo. (Maybe meant to say "45 min into boil")

Actually you to need to Google a bit on this. There is a lot of information out there as to how Irish Moss works and how to best utilize it. I don't think you would off-base tossing it in the last 15 minutes of boil but there are a lot of different opinions.

Form your own !

I'm completely sold on US-05 and it will be my house yeast from now on.

I have tried Nottingham and have had one batch that was fine and one batch that was completely dead. Will not be buying that yeast again.

I have used S-04 for several batches and while I love the VERY short lag time and the thorough flocculation I find that it leaves a bit of a twang to my beers that I don't like. I don't get that with the US-05.

I'm of the opinion these days that yeast preference is very dependent on water. I have spoken to people who have used all the same ingredients and basic processes but have expressed vastly different opinions about the same yeast. I know there are MANY variables in the brewing process but I think brewers' water reacts differently with different yeasts.

My LHBS that I was purchasing from a while ago said that S-04 was a very clean finishing yeast and that the US-05 just didn't bring out the hop flavours and aromas that the S-04 did. What?! I found exactly the opposite.

I have also heard the same story about Nottingham.

My advice would be to try a few yeast strains and see what performs and tastes best in your brewing set up for YOU and for what you brew. For ME in my brewing set up I find that US-05 is the best.

Back