Thoughts on this 80/- recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adaml23

Reaction score
Hey guys. Looking to brew a Scottish export in a few weeks and am making up a recipe for it. Any thoughts on this?

Entry Category: Scottish Export 80/-
Type: All Grain
Starting Gravity: 1.052 SG
Batch Size: 10.00 gal
Final Gravity: 1.015 SG
ABV%: 5.0%
Mash Profile: Single Infusion, Medium Body, No Mash Out

15 lbs Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 1 83.3 %
1 lbs 8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM) Grain 2 8.3 %
8.0 oz Munich Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 3 2.8 %
8.0 oz Victory Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 4 2.8 %
4.0 oz Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 5 1.4 %
4.0 oz Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 6 1.4 %
2.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] - First Wort 60.0 min Hop 7 20.8 IBUs

1.0 pkg Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05) [50.28 ml] Yeast 8 -

I was thinking of mashing around 154 or so.

Is there gonna be too much going on with the crystal malts plus the Munich/Vienna/chocolate malts? If using the crystal malts, would I still benefit from carmelizing a gallon or 2 of the first run-offs?

What about the yeast strain? Has anyone ever compared the American strain versus the Edinburg liquid stain when using the same ingredients otherwise? Just wondering cause I've never used the Edinburg yeast, and am willing to try it, but the US05 has never let us down (its kind of our go-to yeast).

Let me know! Thanks!

It looks a little like Jamil's recipe, which is quite tasty.

In my research and brewing of scottish ales, I have tried multiple recipes and mashes and have settled with a simpler approach (also skipping the decoction mash) and the latest result was delicious. My recipe:
8 lbs. pale malt
2 oz. peat smoked malt
6 oz. carapils malt
6 oz. melanoiden
6 oz. roasted barley
1.5 oz. of EKG @ 60
Scottish Ale yeast or Edinburgh

IMO, with munich, victory and chocolate malts and an American yeast, you are making a (probably delicious) malty ale, not necessarily a true Scottish ale.

Ølbart;5853604 said:
You're not making a true Scottish ale with peat smoked malt either.

While maybe not historically accurate, I prefer the beer with it. Fortunately, I'm fine with my recipe.

I think I would enjoy the peat malt as well. What does the melanoiden bring to the table? I've never used that

While maybe not historically accurate, I prefer the beer with it. Fortunately, I'm fine with my recipe.

Historically accurate? Scotland still exists, and the Scots still brew beer. Scottish ale with smoked malt is an American invention. You should call it an American Pale Ale.

I think I would enjoy the peat malt as well. What does the melanoiden bring to the table? I've never used that

I like smokey beers a lot. But, with only 2oz in this beer, it's nice and subtle and really blends into the other malty flavors well.

Melanoiden malt is basically a decoction mash short-cut providing toasty caramelized malt flavors and a red color. It's similar to aromatic malt or a strong munich malt.

Ølbart;5854939 said:
Historically accurate? Scotland still exists, and the Scots still brew beer. Scottish ale with smoked malt is an American invention. You should call it an American Pale Ale.

From the BJCP Scottish Export style:
"The optional peaty, earthy and/or smoky character comes from the traditional yeast and from the local malt and water rather than using smoked malts."

Since I don't have local Scottish ingredients, I will replicate that flavor with some peat smoked malt. Seems quite convenient to me.

Even after all that, I can call it whatever I want. :mug:

The 'optional' peaty and smoky character comes from Americans brewing ale suited to their own expectations. Scottish ale isn't smoky or peaty, not from the malt, not from the water, not from the yeast. What you're replicating is an American fiction.

There seems to be some trolling going on here...

That being said, I was doing some research and I think melanoidin is of American origin as well, isn't it? So that would make it even less of a true Scottish ale, right?

That being said, ColoHox, I think I'm gonna brew your recipe....because I'm American too. :mug:

If nothing else, it can be called an American Scottish Ale and everyone will be happy; except Ølbart. Cause he seems like he likes to be mad. ;)

Back