Thoughts on these

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm trying to figure out a way to produce some cider fast, within a month or two. My idea is something similar to Mr. Beer, two weeks or 1 month in primary, prime and bottle. In two weeks there should be carbonation. I'm thinking of using clear 100% juice. I've never used concentrate or clear bottle juice before, my stuff is always cloudy and takes about 9 months to a year to clear. I'd like to be able to turn out some batches faster. Any thoughts?

On anther note I was thinking of bottling a raspberry cider right on top of the yeast in the bottom of Orval bottles. Primary fermentation would be with a wit beer yeast after that I guess I'd have to use campden tablets, which I've never done before. Will the Brett in the Orval produce enough carbonation? Any thoughts, suggestions?

Your best bet would be to try a quick cider that is cold crashed like cvillekevin does. The short version is, you put your cider in the fermenter like usual and monitor the gravity. When the gravity gets to like 1.005-1.008 or so, cold crash it and rack it off the lees. You will have to account for the temp after cold crashing when you take a gravity reading, but this should get you a drinkable cider quickly.

For clearing you can use sparkaloid - look at cvillekevin's sticky. Be sure to use nutrient and treat the yeast well. If you have a stressed ferment you will pick up sulfur etc and then have to wait those flavor out a bit.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f32/results-juice-yeast-sugar-experiments-83060/

Agreed on using cvillekevin's method - I've done two small batches now this way and its a great way to have some cider on hand while waiting for your full-dry batches to age in the meantime.

I do remember seeing in this thread though to avoid using nutrients if you are planning on cold-crashing "early" as is the case here - I guess it takes long to crash in the fridge with added nutes.

Use clear juice, and it should be done in a month.

Don't add any extra sugar, it just takes longer to be 'smooth'.

If you have fermented dry before bottling, Orval dregs will do very little (no sugar to work with). I'd recommend making a starter and building up the Orval dregs and use that to run the main fermentation. I really like the ciders I ferment using Brett yeast. I think it give the fruitiest tasting cider of any yeast I have tried.

Thanks for the info. I was thinking of bottling at two weeks in orval bottles that should leave enough sugar left or should I prime?

The speed of the process depends partly on the temperature. If you want everything to go quick, ferment warm around 20-22C. cold ferments (10-15C) go slower but are considered to produce a better cider. I ferment warm with champagne yeast, then pitch a MLF culture as primary finishes, usually after a week. It is ready to bottle after 3-4 weeks then drinkable at 6-8 weeks though improves with ageing.
Pitching MLF means you can be sure everything is finished and you won't get any unexpected refermentation later on.

Agreed on using cvillekevin's method - I've done two small batches now this way and its a great way to have some cider on hand while waiting for your full-dry batches to age in the meantime.

I do remember seeing in this thread though to avoid using nutrients if you are planning on cold-crashing "early" as is the case here - I guess it takes long to crash in the fridge with added nutes.

actually now that I think about it - I believe you are right about no nutrient. try to keep your ferment temps 68F-70 to help the yeast ferment cleanly though.

In my opinion the low ferment temp producing a better cider is debatable (I believe that depends on your yeast). While you don't want to have a hot ferment, I don't think a 70F cider would taste that much different than say a 64F. Thought the yeast might stress a bit more at lower temps, which may cause the need for aging to arms.

Agreed. I had a 14 degree difference in fermenting temps and couldn't attribute any taste difference due to temperature using wl775.

I think the common misconception about low temps = great cider ferment comes from a lot of the cider making reading that is available (much of it seemingly unfounded anecdotal lore).

Back