Thoughts on the FTSs chiller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

booth74

Reaction score
https://www.ssbrewtech.com/collections/ftss/products/ftss-temp-control-for-brew-bucket-14-gal

I need temp control bad, I used to use a chest freezer but the 14 gallon won't fit in mine, an upright freezer on craigslist is usually right around this price point so I am exploring this. It has been out for a while I want to hear if anyone has had it for a while and how it has held up. I plan on going the cooler route, and may end up getting the heating pad too. My other questions for owners of this are; have you been able to maintain lager fermentation temps, can you cold crash, and how does the cooler route work overall. Thanks in advance, I may not have posted this in the right place!

I have the FTSs chiller and it works fine. I use a small picnic cooler for the water and pump. I use 2 liter soda bottles filled with water and frozen too keep the water cold. You will have to be diligent in swapping these out to maintain a steady temperature. In that regard it is much like using a swamp cooler... it works, but you have to tend it constantly.

The one downside I considered was that it is connected to the lid which means you always have to have a full fermenter. You couldn't do a smaller batch with it. I then debated drilling holes and mounting it on the side to get it lower.

They do sell extensions separately that lower the coils for smaller batches.

I have the FTSS for my 7 gallon Brew Bucket using a 48 quart cooler and frozen gallon jugs. How well the cooler set up will work depends on the ambient temperature where the fermenter is located, mine is in a 70 F basement. I can maintain ale temps easily and can crash down to about 45 F but it takes about 2 days and swapping out jugs twice a day. I don't do lagers or attempt to hold it at 45 F, I just drop it down before transferring to a keg.

I have two 7 gallon conicals both with FTS2 cooling and heating units. They do a great job holding the conicals at whatever temperature you want (within reason). I used to swap out frozen water bottles in a cooler full of water. I would have to swap them out 3 times a day during peak fermentation. I recently bought a glycol chiller and now it is just set and forget.

I'm assuming you're wanting to avoid spending the money on the glycol chiller. Have you considered the DIY glycol chiller using an old window AC unit?

Back