thoughts on Robobrew equipment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been using it with BIAB for my past few brews, which isn't typical, but I like it a lot. It has its shortcomings (weak boil; mash temp fluctuates a lot, even when insulated) but being able to do everything in one vessel is pretty great.

It's basically a cheap/slightly less refined Grainfather, and there are plenty of reviews out there for the Grainfather. Reading those might help you make your decision.

Some love it, some hate it. My son bought a robobrew and just struggled and struggled with it. As @deadwolfbones notes, weak boil, the mash temp varied, he'd get stuck from time to time....

In the end, he put it out on the curb for someone, anyone to take, and bought a Grainfather.

Having said that, there are those who have found it to work for them. Just do your due diligence.

Since the kettle itself in not insulated, you should definitely put a good layer or multiple layers of insulation around the kettle during the whole process. 1500W is not a lot of power for heating a 5-6 gallon batch.

I don't have a Robobrew or Grainfather, I use a 3500W induction plate for my 8 gallon kettle and a cooler mash tun. I also insulate the kettle when heating as well as during the boil to reduce heat loss.

I have one, got it as a gift for my birthday to brew indoors in winter. I wont be giving up my 3V propane/NG system anytime soon. I think it is a great for what it is: low cost, entry level, off the shelf non-DIY option) system if you are new to BIAB and electric.

I am about 6 brews in on it and finally dialed it in, mill crush and ease of lautering with this system matters to not get stuck. I had to increase my gap on 3 roller to about 0.040" for this system with some rice hulls from 0.035" no rice hulls which was great for BIAB (mesh bag) and 3V cooler batch sparge. BH efficiency is about 75% and if i went 0.042" gap / no rice hulls i think that might be the sweet spot at cost of a couple points of efficiency. If it means anything i am already looking at more "robust" 240V system to do 5/10 gallon that will likely be a DIY build. It was great for me to learn from and build what i want on the next system.

Last edited:
Here's my situation. Been brewing 3 years , about 1 year few months all grain. Currently have a 2 burner set up, with a 10 gallon mash tun, can 10 gallon Magapot 1.2 with temp and valve, and a15 gallon Keggle, with a drain valve, temp Port, heat a element Port and a recirculation Port added. All Manuel.

In my basement I have a 4'x 8' area set up and dedication to home Brewing. So far all that has happened is getting a wall built, adding 120 and 240 volt electric. 20 amps GFCI 120, 60 amps in 240.

The pics show the area for brewing. So far no money has been spent on any hardware ( I do have 2 5500 Watt elements, Tri clover clamps, blanks plates, pump and hoses with quick release)

So now I'm looking at the planning and spending of $$$$, and how this space can be used.
IMG_20190113_202023.jpg
IMG_20190113_202013.jpg
IMG_20190113_202003.jpg
can be used.

Back