Thoughts on pitching in the boiler...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChandlerBrewery

Reaction score
So this is not a deep topic by any means, and I'm sure I'm not the first to think of it (no, I didn't search it), but I just thought of it.

What would be the downside to pitching your yeast in the wort while it's still in the boiler (obviously after it has chilled to the appropriate temp), before it's siphoned in to the primary?

I could imagine that it might help with aerating the wort?

How much is left in your pot after your transfer? With my diP tube i only leave 12-14 oz behind. No sense in wasting yeast, too much potenial for it to be in the dead space where all the hops/ break is.
I put my yeast/starter in my carboy before filling it with wort, then hit it with o2.

How much is left in your pot after your transfer? With my diP tube i only leave 12-14 oz behind. No sense in wasting yeast, too much potenial for it to be in the dead space where all the hops/ break is.
I put my yeast/starter in my carboy before filling it with wort, then hit it with o2.

I agree that you'd lose yeast in the funk at the bottom of the pot, and it wouldn't aerate any better because the yeast is in it. I don't see how this saves any steps or increases efficiency, but maybe I'm brain-cramping.

Thanks, guys. I agree with you. It's kinda pointless. I'm always trying to think of ways to be more efficient because I believe that it helps me learn more about the process and keeps me on my toes as far as innovation. I was trolling the forums yesterday and I was bored. Almost immediately after posting, I realized it was a dumb topic.

Indeed the risk of losing yeast in the trub is a very good point. Also, the idea of pitching in the fermenter before siphoning is a better idea when considering aeration and distribution.

Thanks again for participating, though.

Back