Thoughts on ising glass

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NICK_M

Reaction score
So I have been recently using ising glass and it has cleared up my beer dramatically well. I have questions though, does the gelatin encourage proteins to clump up because it changes their charge or is there some other mechanism working here? The reason I ask is because I want to know if the ising glass will cause any ill effects on my beer such as off flavors or changes in the yeast biochemistry. I figure since Ive added it after fermentation is almost complete that there are no ill effects on the yeast.

I think it just works to coagulate the yeast, clinging to it to make it larger so that it falls out of suspension. If you're not reusing the yeast, it shouldn't have any effects.

I never use it currently, but I used it a couple of times in wine several years ago. I no longer use any finings (except whirlfloc in the kettle) in wines or beers. They do work though!

Isinglass does not affect proteins. Isinglass "pulls" yeast out of suspension, and leaves a gunky mess on the bottom of your fermentor. No issues with yeast biochemistry or off-flavours, if there was then the commercial breweries would not use it.

If you are re-using your yeast, it makes things a bit messier, but does not harm the yeast in any way.

Back