Thoughts on combo starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

surgical_ass

Reaction score
Looking to do a starter for a berliner. This is my first sour. We are using wlp 677. I've read that this can be tricky to get to sour out. I was thinking if I could add some grain to the starter along with the 677 and bring the ph down around 4.5ph to ward off the bad bacteria this might give the boost needed to sour it out properly. Thoughts? Thanks!

If you want it sour, don't use 677. I have trouble finding posts from anyone who actually had a good experience with it.
Also 677 attenuates (contains yeast?), so it can't be used for kettle souring and I wouldn't use it in a mixed Lacto starter either.

A grain starter is certainly an option, but is much more likely to produce off-flavors than using a commercial bacteria culture (yeast labs, probiotics, yogurt). Definitely pre-acidify a wild starter if you do use it.

Cheers

Back