Thoughts on Citra Smash hop schedule

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackbeer

Reaction score
i have 12 lbs of maris otter, 6 oz of Citra pellets and 2 packs of S05. with my system i'll probably end up around 1.060 OG. i want the beer to have moderate to light hop bitterness but plenty of flavor and aroma. i'm not looking for IPA bitterness. this will be for civilians. i figure around 30 IBU would be about right and i'll get that by adding hops at 20 min, FO and then 170. where do you think i would get the most flavor/aroma bang for the buck for the last 2 oz?

.5 - 30 min
1 - FO steep/stir while slow cooling to 170
2.5 - 170 hop stand for ~30 min

2 - ??

i do a 2-3 week primary and then straight to keg. i'm thinking increase the 170 hop stand to 4.5 oz. i'm not convinced that dry hopping 2 oz in the primary is going to make much difference in flavor, maybe a bit in aroma.

any thoughts?

6 oz is not much. Regardless, I would not boil Citra even if you force me. Just bitter at 60/90 mintes with a bit of Citra to get a few IBUs, and then add all the remaining hops in the whirlpool at 158-170F. That's where you'll get most of the aroma. You don't have enough to dry hop, so just whirlpool more hops. I wouldn't even bother with flameout ( which is boil temperature ) or any late additions.

brewed this today.

10 lb MO
1 oz citra 12.4 for 20
5 oz citra at 160 & steep for 30 min

i was going to do an oz at 190, 180, and 3 at 170 but i chilled way to fast to 160 so i just did a dump. OG is 1.053 and ibu works out to 27. never did a giant pile at this low before so this ought to be interesting. this will be going in a keg.

Last edited:
kegged this today and early indications are outstanding. super lemony nose and flavor with just a bit of hop bite. beautiful yellow color. can't wait for this one to carb up.

Back