Thoughts on a potential beer....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RockfordWhite

Reaction score
So recently I got turned onto the great summer drink of the Dark & Stormy... Which if you don't know is Ginger Beer and Dark Rum... Anyways, yesterday as I was drinking a few of them on the porch I thought to myself, hmm, is there anyway that I can leverage these flavors in a beer?

So basically, I am trying to think of a way to make a beer with ginger flavoring and then add rum, rum flavoring or oak soaked in rum...

As I sobered up, I wasn't sure if this would work, but I figured i'd throw out the bait and see if I got any thoughts...

So any thoughts on base beer, methods, etc. or just if you think this won't work at all would be appreciated...

Certainly could work, but you might have better luck making homemade ginger beer and then mixing it with rum. I had the best luck making ginger beer using grated fresh ginger, microwaved in some water, and then allowed to steep. After straining this ginger extract could be added to whatever sort of beer you wanted to taste. Same goes for the rum, you can just add it directly rather than soaking cubes in it.

I’d guess a brown ale or something similar would be a good choice. I’d keep the ABV low so you could add more rum.

Good luck

Latest posts

Back