Thought on this IPA recipe.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

poizonpyro

Reaction score
Batch size is 5 gallons

Malts
16 lbs 2-row
1.5 lbs Crystal 60L
0.5 lbs Victory

Hops
2 oz Centennial
2 oz Columbus
1.5 oz Cascade (dry hop)
1 oz Centennial (dry hop)

WLP007 for yeast.

1,5 oz orange peel in secondary.

I'm planning on boiling for 90 minutes and continuously hopping the Centennial and Columbus. Dry hopping and orange peel for 2 weeks. Thoughts? Suggestions?

That's a lot of grain for a 5 gallon batch! That would give me an OG of 1.100! If your efficiency is very low, that would be ok but I'd definitely reduce the grainbill and target an OG more like 1.070.

I'd definitely cut the crystal in half (or even more) as that's too much crystal for an IPA. I don't normally use victory malt and crystal malt together in an IPA, but you certainly can if you like them both in an IPA.

I don't see any point in a 90 minute continous hopping, as anything added to the boil before about 20 minutes from the end will contribute to bitterness and not flavor or aroma so I'd change that up a bit. IPAs need firm bitterness, but they also need lots of flavor and aroma instead of just extraordinary bitterness.

I'd go with something more like this:

12 pounds two-row
1 pound Munich malt
.5 pound victory malt (or crystal malt 60L)

1 oz columbus 60 minutes
1 oz centennial 15 minutes
.5 oz columbus 5 minutes
1 oz centennial flame out
dryhop with both columbus and centennial (1 oz each) for 5-7 days

I've never used orange peel in an IPA so I can't comment on that.

That's a lot of grain for a 5 gallon batch! That would give me an OG of 1.100! If your efficiency is very low, that would be ok but I'd definitely reduce the grainbill and target an OG more like 1.070.

I'd definitely cut the crystal in half (or even more) as that's too much crystal for an IPA. I don't normally use victory malt and crystal malt together in an IPA, but you certainly can if you like them both in an IPA.

I don't see any point in a 90 minute continous hopping, as anything added to the boil before about 20 minutes from the end will contribute to bitterness and not flavor or aroma so I'd change that up a bit. IPAs need firm bitterness, but they also need lots of flavor and aroma instead of just extraordinary bitterness.

12 pounds two-row
1 pound Munich malt

1 oz columbus 60 minutes
.5 oz columbus 5 minutes

Can't be bothered stalking you Yopper, so what is your efficiency at the moment? I was estimating the original recipe would be in the mid 80s for an average eff of 70% (very rough estimate though :D)

Saying that I fully agree on what you have dropped the malt bill to, and reducing the dry hop length, haven't had any experience with Centinial/columbus so can't comment there. Also I wouldn't be putting orange peel in an IPA, but I guess I'm just not that adventurist :)

Can't be bothered stalking you Yopper, so what is your efficiency at the moment? I was estimating the original recipe would be in the mid 80s for an average eff of 70% (very rough estimate though :D)

Saying that I fully agree on what you have dropped the malt bill to, and reducing the dry hop length, haven't had any experience with Centinial/columbus so can't comment there. Also I wouldn't be putting orange peel in an IPA, but I guess I'm just not that adventurist :)

Mine is 75%, but I figured it for 70% as I thought that be more typical for most brewers. I think an OG of 1.065-1.070 is a good place to start for a basic IPA.

When I looked at the recipe, 18 pounds of grain gave me something like 1.100 and for 70% it was like 1.095 or something like that.

12 pounds two-row
1 pound Munich malt

1 oz columbus 60 minutes
.5 oz columbus 5 minutes

So what about say

12.5 lbs 2-row
1 lb crystal 60

1 oz columbus 60 minutes
1 oz columbus 5 minutes
1.5 oz orange peel added with the dryhop

I plugged some numbers into beer calculus and with 70% efficiency the OG should be about 1.064 and even if I manage 75% it would still be under 1.070. IBU should be around 71 with ABV at 7.3.

I use the following in my IPA and work great for me.

15lbs 2 row

2 oz cascade at 60 mins
.7 oz cascade at 15 mins
.7 oz cascade at 5 mins
.6 oz cascade at flame out
Dry hop with 2 oz cascade in secondary for about 7 days

Also add a Tbsp Irish Moss at 15 mins to clear it up some.

I'm still somewhat new at brewing but the 15 lbs only gives my somewhere between 1.082 and 1.087 OG so I wouldn't see him hitting 1.100 on his build. But I'm a noob so probably wrong.

So what about say

12.5 lbs 2-row
1 lb crystal 60

1 oz columbus 60 minutes
1 oz columbus 5 minutes
1.5 oz orange peel added with the dryhop

I plugged some numbers into beer calculus and with 70% efficiency the OG should be about 1.064 and even if I manage 75% it would still be under 1.070. IBU should be around 71 with ABV at 7.3.

When I first started writing my own recipes for some reason I felt compelled to use crystal malts. The more I step away from them, the cleaner my malt profile is, which is what you want in an IPA. If your just adding it for color, 60 is really dark and you'd be surprised how much a small amount will actually add.

If this were mine, I'd back the Crystal down to .5oz and double the hops (I have a hop problem).

The whole continuous hopping thing is interesting. I think Dog Fish Head were the ones to get that craze going. I've done it that way and it turned out fine, although fairly bitter. It's also a pain because it keeps you tethered to the boil kettle. I'm enjoying my brewsessions more with the massive late hop charge!

When I first started writing my own recipes for some reason I felt compelled to use crystal malts. The more I step away from them, the cleaner my malt profile is, which is what you want in an IPA. If your just adding it for color, 60 is really dark and you'd be surprised how much a small amount will actually add.

If this were mine, I'd back the Crystal down to .5oz and double the hops (I have a hop problem).

The whole continuous hopping thing is interesting. I think Dog Fish Head were the ones to get that craze going. I've done it that way and it turned out fine, although fairly bitter. It's also a pain because it keeps you tethered to the boil kettle. I'm enjoying my brewsessions more with the massive late hop charge!

I LOVE me some hops, so adding more wouldn't be an issue. I was adding the crystal primarily for the color and for a little caramel undertone...I'm thinking 40 might be a better choice. I'm trying to get a nice amber color with the caramel tones, (very) bitter without a lot of floral notes from the hops...

Back