This Vs. That thread, sanitizer section - no B-Brite?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rockout

Reaction score
I was just perusing the extremely helpful This Vs. That thread featured in this forum, and I was wondering where B-Brite fits into the sanitizing section?

I've been using B-Brite since Day 1 and have yet to have a batch go bad on me, so I'm very happy just continuing to use what I know. Although I've used it for 3 years and about 25 batches, I'm don't consider myself an experienced enough brewer to write a good pros/cons list on it, especially since I've never used anything else.

Anyone else willing to take a shot at that? I'd even be happy to collect all the opinions in this thread into a coherent list and submit it to a mod myself.

B-brite is sold a cleaner, not a sanitizer.

edit: from my reading, b-brite is pretty much the same thing as oxiclean. They are percarbonate cleaners.

Well, I would beg to differ, as it was originally sold to me as a sanitizer, and I've never had a bad batch with it. I also found this on teh interwebs:

B-Brite is very effective in cleaning and sanitizing, but it does cost more than TSP and bleach. B-Brite has the active ingredient, Sodium Percarbonate. This is a mixture of sodium carbonate and hydrogen peroxide. The sodium carbonate is for cleaning and the hydrogen peroxide (H2O2) provides the sanitization.

Well, I would beg to differ, as it was originally sold to me as a sanitizer, and I've never had a bad batch with it. I also found this on teh interwebs:

I'm not saying it won't for you, but the vast majority of homebrew shops that sell it list it specifically as a cleaner, not a sanitizer.

Oxiclean is also Sodium Percarbonate. Exact same thing. No one touts it as a sanitizer though. :D

If it works for you, by all means... continue to use it. I was just trying to address why it was not in the This Vs. That thread in the sanitizer section.

edit: the debate on whether or not it is or is not a sanitizer has been going on for a while. Even Northern Brewer is confused. They list it as a cleaner, but have text that says is will sanitize.

Like I said, if it works for you, continue to use it. But, maybe check it's price vs generic oxiclean. The latter might be cheaper.

I don't know anything about one step.

I clean with oxiclean and sanitize with either iodophor. In the past, I cleaned with soap and sanitized with iodophor.

The only other thing I have ever used is bleach years ago.

A quick googling of one-step shows that it is actually sold as a sanitizer.

edit: hmmm... northern brewer has it as a cleaner.

Beats the sh*t out of me, man. I say that if it ain't broke, don't fix it. :mug:

I think we're going in circles - a quick googling of B-Brite also shows it to be sold sometimes as a cleaner, sometimes as a sanitizer. Point is, homebrew shops do sell this stuff as one or the other or both, so an addition to that section seems like it would be appropriate, since it's aimed at beginners looking for info. The first "con" could be "Whether or not it's a true sanitizer or just a cleaner is up for debate."

One step isnt approved as a sanitizer by the FDA, hence they don't advertise it as such.

Same probably applies to B-brite, hence the confusion. It's a sanitizer, but they dont want pay for it to get through the process to be qualified as such or so one-step says.

I'm thinking of starting a thread called Pro vs Con of Flying on a Bicycle

You mean like this?
20552578_13ce752e4e.jpg

I've been told by both guys at my LHBS that b-brite sanitizes, it's just an extra step because you have to rinse it with STERILE water.

I think its like an oxyclean with soap. It's feels soapy on the skin.

I've used b-brite exclusively for six batches without problems.

uh oh.. I was sold B-brite as a sanitizer and it also states 'no rinse needed'. This worries me because I used it on a batch 2 1/2 days ago and I've seen no action in my bucket even though I was told to leave the lid loose for the first few days in preparation of the monstrous fury that is weizen yeast... I may have just pitched at too high a temp tho, sticker thermometer read 76/78.

I'm not saying it won't for you, but the vast majority of homebrew shops that sell it list it specifically as a cleaner, not a sanitizer.

Oxiclean is also Sodium Percarbonate. Exact same thing. No one touts it as a sanitizer though. :D

If it works for you, by all means... continue to use it. I was just trying to address why it was not in the This Vs. That thread in the sanitizer section.

edit: the debate on whether or not it is or is not a sanitizer has been going on for a while. Even Northern Brewer is confused. They list it as a cleaner, but have text that says is will sanitize.

Like I said, if it works for you, continue to use it. But, maybe check it's price vs generic oxiclean. The latter might be cheaper.

So what's PBW? I thought PBW was basically the same as Oxyclean, does that mean that PBW = B-Brite = Oxyclean?

Or am I wrong about PBW?

I would think you definitely have to rinse B-Brite. I always do.

Well I'll keep that in mind and just buy some star-san next trip out to the LHBS. My weizen is fermenting fine now, took over 4 days to show signs tho. Hopefully it doesnt come out all soapy tasting.

The rainbows in your beer may not win ribbons, but since there's way more beer than cleaner, I think it'll taste just fine.

So what's PBW? I thought PBW was basically the same as Oxyclean, does that mean that PBW = B-Brite = Oxyclean?

Or am I wrong about PBW?

B-brite and oxiclean(*) contain sodium percorbonate
PBW contains sodium percarbonate, too, but it also contains sodium metasilicate

I can't tell you what the sodium metasilicate does other than to quote the interwebz, so... beats the f*ck out of me.

* = it's spelled with an "i" and not a "y"

oxiclean.jpg

b.brite is so soapy and slippery, I'd certainly rinse it out. And that effectively kills it as a sanitizer to me, preparing boiled water for rinsing is just too much of a PITA.

Besides, there are many no-rinse sanitizers available that are so much more convienent (and many are also extremely inexpensive, like iodophor or properly-prepared bleach).

I use C-Brite which is sold as a "no-rinse" cleaner. The "cleaning" process takes place with reaction to O2. I also use Star-San as a sanitizer. I have never had an infected batch of beer...I have made a sh*tty tasting beer by recipe though....

Back