This is such an awful hobby

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
^^This^^ One of my biggest turn arounds came from controlling fermentation temperatures.

I can't say my beer has gotten any better with a ferm chamber, but before I was controlling temperature with water and ice and wind. Checking on it every 15 minutes was driving me crazy. Now I can forget my ferm chamber for days, go on vacation, whatever! That ferm chamber probably saved my marriage!

I started brewing 1.5 years ago. I stopped keeping track when I hit about 5-6 grand........ Lol

They just need to stop making such cool stuff for brewing and I will stop brewing.

Started with the infamous deluxe homebrew kit and now running a RIMS system and minimum 10 gallon batches.

Horrible, horrible hobby...

Now I must go quick carb the Helles that I just took out of the fermenter. 10 beautiful gallons of malty goodness.

I have to agree. This IS a horrible hobby.
Just wait until you get into kegging. It becomes REALLY addicting. LOL

I’m looking, but not sure about kegging. I look at all my bottles, which are growing in numbers, and wonder what i would do with them all if/ when I start Kegging. I have several questions on kegging, but waiting till i get to that point.

I started brewing 1.5 years ago. I stopped keeping track when I hit about 5-6 grand........ Lol

I keep seeing the $$... A few weeks ago, my wife asked on how much I have spent so far. After a few min of thought, I think I’m up to about 700. And it’s just the begging. I need to figure a way to not think about the cost, but a way to keep it in check. I’m already cringing, but that is because I hate spending money..(inner Demond’s) When I start looking at what I want, the $$ go up crazy.

Oh your story sounds so familiar. I brewed off and on for the last 3 yrs in kit forms and really started to take my brewing seriously about the same time you started in November. Let me show you what one Mr Beer kit has led to:

equip.JPGgrain.JPG Lab.jpg freezer.jpg

This was when 1 gallon BIAB batches were scratching my brewing itch. I know this is small peanuts compared to a lot of set ups on here, but I have plans for a keezer and kegs by the beginning of summer. My ham radio workbench has now turned into a place to shelve my fermenters, and before the addition of the chest freezer for a fermentation chamber, I had meticulously surveyed my basement for optimal areas to lager. Fortunately my SWMBO was working when it seemed like USPS, UPS and FEDEX were stopping by on daily basis LOL. My oldest son also brews, and there is now talk of either a Robobrew or Grainfather in the air. Ah yes what an awful hobby.

I keep seeing the $$... A few weeks ago, my wife asked on how much I have spent so far. After a few min of thought, I think I’m up to about 700. And it’s just the begging. I need to figure a way to not think about the cost, but a way to keep it in check. I’m already cringing, but that is because I hate spending money..(inner Demond’s) When I start looking at what I want, the $$ go up crazy.
Keep in mind that this is a hobby. Hobbies are designed to waste your time and money and this one sure beats stamp collecting. :D

I’m looking, but not sure about kegging. I look at all my bottles, which are growing in numbers, and wonder what i would do with them all if/ when I start Kegging. I have several questions on kegging, but waiting till i get to that point.

It doesn't have to cost that much. I think it depends on your goals and resources. Great beer *can* be made using the most basic equipment. It can be easier/ more enjoyable/consistent with better equipment however. When I started my goal was 1/2 barrel batches of top quality beer made in my basement brew house. Im fortunate that my wife is VERY supportive of my hobby and I have alot more coming in than going out. Again majority of the expensive stuff was more about convenience than requirement. My point is you definitely don't have to spend a fortune to make great beer. Cheers

It’s brew day for me, my new SB kettle and doing my first 5 Gal BIAB...as well as using Beersmith. So far everything is looking good.

It doesn't have to cost that much. I think it depends on your goals and resources. Great beer *can* be made using the most basic equipment. It can be easier/ more enjoyable/consistent with better equipment however. When I started my goal was 1/2 barrel batches of top quality beer made in my basement brew house. Im fortunate that my wife is VERY supportive of my hobby and I have alot more coming in than going out. Again majority of the expensive stuff was more about convenience than requirement. My point is you definitely don't have to spend a fortune to make great beer. Cheers
my wife kept bugging me to get a hobby. I am surprised that she is being very supportive.

Attachments

• C882BCB8-051A-41E8-AF73-14DC90793452.jpeg
    C882BCB8-051A-41E8-AF73-14DC90793452.jpeg
    948.9 KB · Views: 114
It’s brew day for me, my new SB kettle and doing my first 5 Gal BIAB...as well as using Beersmith. So far everything is looking good.

my wife kept bugging me to get a hobby. I am surprised that she is being very supportive.
Nice kettle have a great time. I'm stuck at work today but doing a chase my tail pale ale clone this weekend. Cheers

I got lucky, got most of my equipment as used or hand-me-downs. Sure, I'll drool over the shiny new stuff advertised here, but I'm happy with what I've got, which is pretty basic (mash tun fashioned from an extract barrel with bazooka and fancy $65 false bottom, keggle with ball valve for HLT, 12 gallon costco kettle, that's the big stuff). In equipment I'm probably in this about $500, spent over 2.5 years. About to embark on making my own mash bags since the one I have will probably only last until this summer, even with very careful use (not a wilserbrewer, just a cheap one from the LHBS).

Our bowling league has it's banquet & payout this Thursday (second place, whoohoo!) and I'm already trying to figure out how much grain & hops I can buy with my winnings...who needs groceries...or clothes...ooo maybe a 20lb co2 tank....shut up conscience.

One other thing I like yet hate is there are so many things you can build yourself for this hobby. If you like building stuff then you can imagine and make things to suite your needs. This is only one of many projects.

Such an awful hobby it is...

KeezerNew.JPG

One other thing I like yet hate is there are so many things you can build yourself for this hobby. If you like building stuff then you can imagine and make things to suite your needs. This is only one of many projects.

Such an awful hobby it is...

View attachment 566540
I like your keezer. Have you ever ran into 2 or more taps empty and nothing to put in its place?

I just received a 5.1 ft freezer, for free. I’m going to transform it into a fermentor chamber ( attempt to). Once I have it completed I will post a pic of it. I’m also thinking that later on I could turn it into a keezer if/when I decide to start Kegging.

Just beware of the "Three fridges rule". Several people from my local forum has parted with their partner at the time when they got three fridges, I made it to four fridges though. Now I have six, so I have one more to go. Just make sure you start a new relationshop with an adequate number of fridges, as you can only get three more :D

Just beware of the "Three fridges rule". Several people from my local forum has parted with their partner at the time when they got three fridges, I made it to four fridges though. Now I have six, so I have one more to go. Just make sure you start a new relationshop with an adequate number of fridges, as you can only get three more :D

Where do freezers fit into this equation?

In cycling circles we have a similar rule, where the number of bikes needed is governed by N=n+1, limit s-1
N is how many bikes you should have
n is how many bikes you do have
s is the number of bikes that will cause your partner to leave you.

We inherited a chest freezer when we rented our house (that we're currently in the process of buying). Over two years it's segued from "let's buy a lot of food we can freeze for the future" into "I can't fit any more hops and ice bottles in this thing". We're planning on buying a new fridge for the house this fall, and the one we have now will be MINE.....just have to figure out where to put it.

My wife kept bugging me to get a hobby. I am surprised that she is being very supportive.

Mine told me I needed a hobby. I told her she was right. She was the one who bought the Mr. Beer and started me down the Road to Perdition.
Then she told me I needed friends. I told her no.
I already have two cats, we get on perfectly fine - and they won't be trying to drink my beer. o_O

Last edited:
We inherited a chest freezer when we rented our house (that we're currently in the process of buying). Over two years it's segued from "let's buy a lot of food we can freeze for the future" into "I can't fit any more hops and ice bottles in this thing". We're planning on buying a new fridge for the house this fall, and the one we have now will be MINE.....just have to figure out where to put it.

I have a temp controlled refrigerator unit. It's NIB (new in the box). Haven't broken it out yet for the summer, but soon ... very soon.

My new fermenenting chamber. It’s not 100% complete, but it’s a start. Right now I just have an Inkbird 308 temp controller hooked up. I ended up using a 2x8 so that I can put 2 fermentors in there(tight fit). Plan is to put a fan in as well as a lamp ( for heat)

Attachments

• A942BFCC-99EB-48A2-B754-DC9382B60815.jpeg
    A942BFCC-99EB-48A2-B754-DC9382B60815.jpeg
    994.6 KB · Views: 105
It saddens me to say.... my brewing has stopped... I am needing the time to fix up my currant home so that I can have it sold before my future home is finished. I am hoping that I will be able to resume brewing by July.

However in the meantime... I am hoping to install a fan in my fermentor, and possibly a lamp ( heat source).

Took a looooooong nap today after brewing and now I'm sitting here cruising HBT and getting up every now and again to check the beer just starting to bubble in the chest freezer, that is now finally a fermentation chamber. And also waiting for the newest cat to decide to come down from the garage rafters. All while sipping on my second lager that is really delicious. Oh this is a horrible hobby....

It saddens me to say.... my brewing has stopped... I am needing the time to fix up my currant home so that I can have it sold before my future home is finished. I am hoping that I will be able to resume brewing by July.

There are always projects that keep us busy. We all have them and sometimes they take a while. Been a month since I brewed last but I am going to take the extract route for a couple quick brews then back to my normal brew weekends. I have grain that is calling my name asking to be brewed.

So many beers, so little time...

Wrong thread...but yes this is an awful hobby. Long ranting post deleted that will now go in the correct thread. Disregard! (and here is a goat: :goat:)

My new fermenenting chamber. It’s not 100% complete, but it’s a start. Right now I just have an Inkbird 308 temp controller hooked up. I ended up using a 2x8 so that I can put 2 fermentors in there(tight fit). Plan is to put a fan in as well as a lamp ( for heat)

Can I suggest you get something like a reptile heater? I wouldn't want a lamp in a ferm chamber because the light won't be good for the beer.

Something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MXUT5RH/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

I use a Fermwrap and a Reptile Heat Pad on my 5-gallon fermenters; I like applying the heat directly to the fermenter rather than ambient.

Reptile Heat Mat:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LZXOP1C/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Fermwrap:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074D9FCQ8/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
I just received a 5.1 ft freezer, for free. I’m going to transform it into a fermentor chamber ( attempt to). Once I have it completed I will post a pic of it. I’m also thinking that later on I could turn it into a keezer if/when I decide to start Kegging.

You will probably end up wanting something bigger for your keezer.

My first fermentation chamber I built out of plywood, 2x4s and insulation foam with a minifridge in one end. It would hold 3 buckets/carboys at a time. I tried to do a lager and it would not go cold enough so I got a 7 cf chest freezer that will hold 2 fermenters. I had a spare refrigerator that I turned into a 3 tap keezer. Those are all in storage until I purchase a house. In the mean time I bought a 5 cf freezer that will hold only one fermenter.

Now that I live in Florida, when I get my house I will be converting my propane set up to electric so that I can brew in an air conditioned space. $$$

You will probably end up wanting something bigger for your keezer.

My first fermentation chamber I built out of plywood, 2x4s and insulation foam with a minifridge in one end. It would hold 3 buckets/carboys at a time. I tried to do a lager and it would not go cold enough so I got a 7 cf chest freezer that will hold 2 fermenters. I had a spare refrigerator that I turned into a 3 tap keezer. Those are all in storage until I purchase a house. In the mean time I bought a 5 cf freezer that will hold only one fermenter.

Now that I live in Florida, when I get my house I will be converting my propane set up to electric so that I can brew in an air conditioned space. $$$
. Right now my 5c freezer can hold 2 fermentors (tight fit) It will be still some time before I start kegging, I still need to figure out how many kegs I want, and how many to have on tap.

I feel your pain on the cost to go electric. That is part of my 5 year plan....

. Right now my 5c freezer can hold 2 fermentors (tight fit) It will be still some time before I start kegging, I still need to figure out how many kegs I want, and how many to have on tap.

I feel your pain on the cost to go electric. That is part of my 5 year plan....

I am surprised that you can fit 2 fermenters in there. If so you should be able to get 4 kegs inside.

I'm almost 7 years in and electric has been on the wish list for a long time. But it was not high on the list until I moved from Rhode Island to Florida.

As an update, my new home is still in the process of being built, and I also acquired a Fridge. Not sure on the actual size, but it was a free fridge, so I can’t complain. I am thinking a future kegerator/ with a freezir section to store my ingredients. my living situation sucks right now, Can’t really brew. Everything is buried, but still trying to get things for the brew room...

Back