This is it

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kiana

Reaction score
Hi, my name's Kian, I'm a new graduate (from college) and I needed a hobby that could take the place of all the studying I just underwent, hence homebrewing. I pitched my first batch last night, everything went well as far as cleanliness and the like but... When I woke up this morning it was a nightmare. the airlock had blown off the top of the carboy, potential bear on the floor. I quickly went to the tub and poured some of the liquid out of the carboy, and put some saran wrap on top until I could re sanitize the airlock. I know I'm facing contamination issues, which could totally mess things up. I think these may be some of the reasons to the explosion. 1. I didn't put the airlock on tight enough, 2. I live in Santa Barbara and it's really hot here now so the yeast got overly excited. 3. I filled the carboy up too much.
Any suggestions that could help prevent this in the future? Obviously my main concern at this point is if this batch is totally lost or if I should give it a fighting chance. Oh and I put the container in a bucket of water, I read somewhere that that can help keep the heat down, and the airlock is bubbling nicely.

Thanks

-Kian

welcome I don't think you will have any contamination issues with it fermenting that hard. just try and keep the temp around 70 and leave a little head space you will be ok. good luck

I always put a blow off tube on for the first couple of days, it will save you from messes like that. Welcome to HBT.

Back