This is a Warning: Go easy on the Blackstrap molasses

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PantherCity

Reaction score
So I just kegged up a beer I made ~2 months ago. I had a taste and I used WAY TOO MUCH blackstrap molasses. That's all I get in the aroma and taste. It retained the same flavors it has when not fermented and would be a unique and nice flavor if used in moderation. It is not like me to be so heavy-handed with something like this. It almost tastes like I'm swigging out of the bottle. It has a good bit more residual sweetness than I expected. The Blackstrap is not as fermentable as I thought it would be, and it prevented the beer from drying out. I was thinking it would behave like honey or Candi syrup but is is much less fermentable. It only had 1/2 Lb. of crystal and normally Wlp007 attenuates really well for me. I really just winged-it on the recipe after picking up a 15oz bottle of "Plantation" brand blackstrap molasses. This was my first time brewing with Calypso hops and I cant find them in there at all. I don't know what to do with this beer. I might just stash the keg away for 4-6 months and revisit it then.

If you want to try using this ingredient I would start with 2 to 4 oz for a 5 gallon batch.

OG =1.066
FG = 1.017
~66 IBU
Mash @ 154F
WLP007 2L starter on stir-plate
Fermented @ 66F
6.5% ABV
73% AA

10# Maris Otter
1# Victory
.5# Special B
.5# Chocolate malt
1# Blackstrap Molasses @ 10min

1oz Magnum @ 60
1oz Calypso @ 20
1oz Calypso @ 10
1oz Calypso @ 5
1oz Calypso @ 1

You've been warned,
Chase

I appreciate the warning, mate!!

Some additional info: Black-strap molasses is actually the dregs of the refining process and the result of the third boiling of cane juice. The resulting product has the least amount of sugar content and, as a result, is the least fermentable. Most distilleries that use black-strap (because it is cheap and there is such a surplus of it on the market) to make rum will fortify it with additional sugar to make it usable.

That being said, some people rather enjoy the taste of molasses and your post certainly confirms that is comes though in the brew! Thanks again for the warning!

Happy Brewing!

I used 3/4lb in an RIS with an OG of 1.100, and it is still somewhat apparent and would not want to up it from there.

It is a strong ingredient, so restraint is needed.

Thanks for the word of warning!

I did this once too. I was making an (attempted) Old Peculiar clone and put in the blackstrap instead of treacle. Bad mistake. I tried to age it for a while to see if the blackstrap flavor would mellow over time - it didn't. Made for an interesting brew, but not what I wanted and not something that many other people were willing to drink after the first few tastes. Blackstrap in quantity is just too strong of a flavor.

Now, what should I do with this full keg? Blend or dump or stash it away?

@SkiGladys you said it did not mellow with age, how long did you give it? I don't want it occupying one of my kegs for too long. I only have 6 and I could easily dump this with out affecting my pipeline. Maybe I'll keep a gallon or so that I could blend if a future batch comes out bland or something.

Sorry - It did not mellow. That's what I intended to convey with the in-artful sentence in my first post. I was hoping it would mellow, and maybe it did a tiny bit, but it was still overpowering. I still have bottles left from the brewing which was about 2 years ago.

I say blend. I blended mine a couple of times with a coffee porter and it helped. Of course, the porter by itself was better than the blended combination. I am intrigued by the above IPA idea. I might do that with one of my last bottles.
I have only kept it because I am one of those folks that can't stand giving up and tossing a beer.

tesilential's got a good idea! I'll just fill up some old milk jugs and take em down to the bums that hang out by where I work. Then all the bums will love and revere me. I will have an army of hobos to do my bidding. King of the Hobos!!!

Imagine all the bottles they could gather.

That thought crossed my mind? Could I just mix the beer instead of water in the pancake batter. Do you have a recipe for these beer pancakes?

Edit: I still like the idea of a Hobo army.

well, any good pre-made pancake mix is better with beer substituteed as the liquid, but really just a normal pancake recipe using beer instead of water or substituted for part of the milk works well

I never use blackstrap molasses in brews. The flavor is just too intense and I get a metallic note from the fermentation. I think it just might be because its really high in iron.

If you use molasses, just use standard unsulphured molasses. You get plenty of molasses flavor, but it integrates better without the metallic flavor.

Back