This hobby is fun but...liver damage.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm trying to maintain a high hop diet for all its virtues.

I haven't had so much as a sniffle in my 18 months of extensive hop consumption.

Aside from my homebrew, my diet is like that of a health nut:
No simple sugars.
No fried foods.
10% fat
60% lean protein
30% complex carbs
Tons of green veggies.
High fiber supplements.
5-6 small meals a day

Now, the excess calories of a few homebrews certainly offsets some of this, but I think everything is in balance. Including my liver.

Well in light of a few instances that have come about, this thread included I have decided to find out where Im at physically. Tomorrow I go down and talk with the doc and get my blood drawn.

I want to know where I am instead of just assuming Im ok. That way I can plan accordingly......better to know than to be simply guessing.

I agree. Just remember to not drink tonight or it could throw off your blood test results. I remember I had my first few drinks the night before my physical and the blood tests came back that my liver was working over time. Hopefully that happened because it my first time drinking and is not a regular thing....

I agree. Just remember to not drink tonight or it could throw off your blood test results. I remember I had my first few drinks the night before my physical and the blood tests came back that my liver was working over time. Hopefully that happened because it my first time drinking and is not a regular thing....

Not drinking tonight and didn't drink last night either. Im going in with zero alcohol in my system and a fresher than usual liver.

Whoa.....sobriety is a weird thing ;)

LOL, agreed. I drink about 2 beers a night. Beer doing so for a while as I am trying to get up to 100 bottles for some HB!

Phosphatidylcholine supplementation:
http://www.woodmed.com/Phos Choline.htm

Or more specifically dilinoleoylphosphatidylcholine supplementation:

J Investig Med. 1999 Nov;47(9):507-12.Links
Dilinoleoylphosphatidylcholine is the active antioxidant of polyenylphosphatidylcholine.Aleynik SI, Leo MA, Takeshige U, Aleynik MK, Lieber CS.
Section of Liver Disease & Nutrition and Alcohol Research Center, Bronx VA Medical Center, New York, NY, USA.

BACKGROUND: Polyenylphosphatidylcholine, a mixture of polyunsaturated phospholipids, prevents the fibrosis induced by alcohol in baboons and by CCl4 in rats and opposes the associated oxidative stress. METHODS: To determine the responsible phosphatidylcholine species, a Morris hepatoma cell line (RH 7777) was incubated with 100 mumol/L arachidonate supplemented with 20 mumol/L dilinoleoylphosphatidylcholine or 20 mumol/L palmitoyllinoleoylphosphatidylcholine which comprise 42% and 24% of polyenylphosphatidylcholine, respectively or with equivalent amounts of polyenylphosphatidylcholine. Distearoylphosphatidylcholine, the saturated analog of dilinoleoylphosphatidylcholine, also was used for comparison. Two markers of lipid peroxidation (4-hydroxynonenal and F2-isoprostanes) were measured by GC/MS. RESULTS: Arachidonate caused 8- and 11-fold rises of cellular 4-hydroxynonenal and F2-isoprostanes, respectively; these increases were reduced more than 50% by polyenylphosphatidylcholine and dilinoleoylphosphatidylcholine. By contrast, palmitoyllinoleoylphosphatidylcholine and distearoylphosphatidylcholine had no significant effect. Lipid peroxidation was associated with a striking exacerbation of cell death, observed microscopically, and documented by a 2.5-fold decrease in cellular DNA and a 2- to 3-fold increase in lactic dehydrogenase leakage. Dilinoleoylphosphatidylcholine and polyenylphosphatidylcholine decreased the release of lactic dehydrogenase (47% and 67%, respectively); whereas, palmitoyllinoleoylphosphatidylcholine had no effect. CONCLUSIONS: An in vitro system of oxidative stress revealed that polyenylphosphatidylcholine is a potent antioxidant and that dilinoleoylphosphatidylcholine is mainly responsible for this protective effect; whereas, its saturated counterpart distearoylphosphatidylcholine is inactive.

Hey, this is pretty interesting.

I do love beer, I think I need to make some 3.5%'ers so I can drink more :D. The % of alcohol is the big deal here. If you think about it as well, anything of significant alcoholic strength is a much more intense thing to put in your system. Your body has to do much more work to take care of a shot that you drink in a few second vs. a session beer that takes you 10-15 minutes or so. The document mentions 1 to 3 .25 liter beers of around 4 to 5% which works out to 1 to 2 12oz bottles of the same %. I am probably at the upper limit there. If you significantly reduce the abv then you can obviously drink more, aside from added calories etc. The real culprit is the excessive alcohol.

Not if you used a sharpie pen to rename the label "Breakfast Ale" at least 30 seconds before opening.

Hell no, it said still SNPA on it. Plus, I had like 5 and another margarita...was taking a nap by 3pm

I don't think that I drink excessively. I usually have 1-2 beers a night, some nights I don't drink, some nights I drink more. I've started eating way healthier since I got the kegerator set up though, keeps me from gaining too much weight!

Lol. You know I used to play this game online...what the heck was the name of that?....can't recall but it was mostly text based, and funny as anything. At any rate you could get the 'Iron Liver' in the game which enabled you to drink more. :D

Would that by any chance be kingdom of loathing. Did you pass the grammar test and get accepted?

http://www.kingdomofloathing.com/

Just got the call from the doc.....

Im good to go! Perfect bill of health!

the liver shall get beat down tonight!!! :mug:

Seriously. between beer and apfelwein I have several drinks a day. I won't even go to what happens on the weekends. yeah yeah moderation but who the hell can do that with all this chilled goodness on hand.

This hobby is a little too effective and removes temptation completely.

Alcoholism? I think many in this hobby are past that point. I'm more concerned about the liver. Being 28 and looking at the last 10 years of drinking for me, I'm starting to wonder how long this body of mine can process **** before it calls for a time out. Looking at this from an engineering standpoint, everything has a process cycles lifetime--and the body is definitely no exception. Meh. :(

Well it hasn't been said and this is a brew forum.

Want any whine with that cheese?

I just know when I have to get my replacement liver-It won't be one of you mofos.:D

I figure I'll just follow a couple of sportsbike riders around and claim dibs when they go down.

I work in an ICU that does liver transplants. On a serious note I just want to say that a transplant isn't a great thing...never drink again, you have to get sick enough to be on the verge of death to get the liver, turn a bright orange color. Take a med before thee transplant that makes you crap 10 times a day to rid the ammonia so you don't go crazy and run naked through your neigborhood(For some reason people who get high ammonia blood levels want to get naked and run around, not kidding). Meds for the rest of your life that WILL kill you kidneys within 10 or less years at which time you end up on dialysis machine for 3 days a week...feeling like crap those days. Never working again.

But on the lighter non doomsday side. I have only seen hard core alcoholics need transplants, not so much the 2 beer/moderate drinker. Also stay away from 1980's blood transfusions and non reputable tatoo artists...hepatitis C isn't something you want.

Back