This has to be one of the most insidious hobbies ever.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got a mr. Beer for christmas. After the first batch i was buying a 5 gal setup. After bottling 2 batches of 5 gal, bought a kegerator a 2 cornies. Once the thaw hits i'll be looking at all grain. The pipeline is starting to flow now(finally). Oh, and i have the best wife ever!

Sent from my iPhone using HB Talk

Isn't funny when your friends want to pitch in for half of the ingredients and expect half of the beer!!

This is kinda where I am at with my buddy. I have all of the equipment, and he pitches in half for the ingredients for each batch. We have kinda worked out a system where I end up kegging the batch, then we bottle 12-20 for him to take hom with him. We are of course drinking past batches every brew session.

I don't mind paying for the equipment, because I would be buying it anyways if he wasnt involved. But recently he has been pitching in for some of the new toys, like a stirplate I just made, a second burner, etc.

To me its worth it to be able to brew two seperate batches fairly easily with a helper, plus who wouldnt want to hang out with their boys on a Saturday. Our brewdays usually end up turning into parties where everyone comes up to hang out at the bar all night. Then we drink all the homebrew and have to start over again. Vicious cycle!

Well, I'll be bottling my first batch tomorrow night.
Of course if I had followed the kit instructions instead of listening to you guys I'd probably be opening the first bottle tomorrow and not liking what I was tasting. Instead I waited and left it in the fermenter for 3 weeks.
By the way, the Party Pig I ordered was on my doorstep when I got home today, so half of the batch will go into the Pig.:D
Just another purchase for the insidious hobby.

If you add up the total costs for your first few batches (including all equipment), the price per bottle will go up and be a lot more than you could buy a decent craft beer in the store.

If you stay committed, you can eventually get it down to the price of a can of Milwaukee.

If that's the goal. Remember that not everyone homebrews to save money. I don't. It's a hobby and I enjoy it. Many hobbies cost money. Homebrewing, even with a setup that most people would consider 'expensive', is still one of the cheapest hobbies out there.

I spend my days in spreadsheets, Word documents, and other fuzzy/non-descript work that's hard to describe. For me brewing is also about being about to point to something and proudly say "I made that with my own hands".

Of course, the beer/liquor stores here in Ontario Canada are crap for selection (they're regulated), so I also brew because I can't get 99% of the things I want to drink. ;)

Kal

You think this is bad? Try also being a gearhead. The money I have thrown at cars over the past 8 years would have paid for one hell of a brewing opperation. Luckily for me this hobby has actually taken over my interest, so the car thing is more off to the side for the time. Still, it's never wasted money if you enjoy the time and money spent on the hobby.

Back