This cooler to use as Mash Tun?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jzamora3

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I currently brew BIAB and I am looking to upgrade. I have this cooler (pictures attached) that I won from a gas station promotion. Besides the fact that it has Michelob Ultra on it, any reason why I shouldn't use this type of cooler? I've never seem examples of others using a s metal coated cooler as a mash tun. I looked for material markings and wasnt able to locate any. Is this okay to use?

While I'm at it, any suggestions on how to get that logo off? It seems to be "screen printed"on the outer shell.

Thanks and cheers!!

20161113_165141.jpg

20161113_165158.jpg

20161113_165209.jpg

That's looks like it'd make a sweet mash tun. Maybe try a small spot with some acetone to see if it'll remove it

only issue i could see is if you wanted to use a false bottom. Do those even exist for square ones?

Are you planning to stay biab?

Okay, awesome. Thanks for the input guys. I'm not sticking to BIAB, I'll be going all grain. I'm thinking of just using a bazooka tube instead of the false bottom. I'll experiment and see what works best.

Yes, my first batch will definitely be better than that ugly logo on the outside of my cooler..

only issue i could see is if you wanted to use a false bottom. Do those even exist for square ones?

Are you planning to stay biab?

I don't think anyone makes a pre done false bottom for square coolers but it is pretty simple to build a manifold out of copper pipe. There are a bunch of threads on here showing them off

I would try to remove it with some paint thinner and keep it all SS. Clean and sexy.

if it's real Stainless, try to see if barkeepers friend takes it off. if it's not SS, then acetone maybe. or just cover it with stickers, and I would keep the Michelob and get rid of the Ultra... I would just sandblast it with baking soda.

use a brewbag instead of a false bottom or manifold, they would great in coolers, and then easy to lift out the spent grains for disposal. then a quick rinse and your back in business.

The bag makes cleanup so much easier.... (I use a brewbag in my 10 gallon cooler)

If I was to use a brewing bag, wouldn't why be basically a glorified BIAB setup? Seems like an extra, potentially unnecessary step to use a bag. Am I right or thinking of this the wrong way?

If I was to use a brewing bag, wouldn't why be basically a glorified BIAB setup? Seems like an extra, potentially unnecessary step to use a bag. Am I right or thinking of this the wrong way?

Maybe. But I've used a bag in my cooler for the last few brews and have experience much better efficiency because I get nearly all the wort from the grain (so I need less strike and sparge liquor) and use less grain to reach a desired OG. The bonus is no Vorlauf for clean clear runnings. For instance, I brewed a Choc Milk Stout this past weekend and got 93.6% brew house efficiency per BeerSmith. YMMV.

I agree with the brew bag but I went from a cooler to a recirculating ebiab for simplicity and time saved.

Bazooka tube attached to the inside of your ball valve or A HUGE hot water heater braid will work. The bigger the better to prevent a stuck sparge. Also you could order a custom BIAB bag from Wilserbrewing (I think) and have it made to fit that cooler with some over hang so you could tighten up the strings and keep it in one place while you mash.

No, the bag get's used instead of a false bottom and only in the cooler. I have only ever used one, love it, works perfect for me and my efficiency was good right off the bat.

but the clean up, so easy. I put the plastic bag the grain came in inside one of my 5 gallon kettles (do a boil with a 10) and then lift the brew bag with the spent grains and put in the kettle, flip the brew bag over and lift, dumping out all the spent grains into the plastic bag. Seal plastic bag and toss, rinse cooler, rinse pot, flip brew bag inside-out and rinse, and done. hang up to dry. Takes around 6 minutes to clean everything used up to that point. It's nice and easy to keep on schedule.

But just because you are using a bag, does not make it BIAB.

I went with the expensive one, located here, and am glad I did. those extra strong straps and loops makes it easy to work with.

http://www.homebrewing.org/The-Brew-Bag-for-10-gal-Round-Coolers_p_5433.html

Okay, I think you've convinced me. I'll get a bag and see how that goes. I usually get about 82% efficiency with my current setup.

Another question: I have this valve that I was going to buy -i use the same one on my brew kettle. It's not quite long enough. The shell of the cooler is too thick and the thread doesn't reach all the way through. Are there larger(longer) ball valves out there? Or a connector I could buy to extend?

Link to weldless ball valve I was going to buy

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00420WMUU/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Thanks!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back