This Can't Be Good: Last Call At Another Notable Brewery

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I watch BrewBids and ProBrewer and other sites, and there's a lot of brewery locations coming up for auction the last couple of years. A lot. I just don't see me convincing the household to let me put a 10BBL in the garage.
I recall 4 Northern Virginia breweries that closed in the past year or so, and they pieced out all the equipment at auction. It is too bad, as I have to assume a fermenter installed with electricity, plumbing and drainage in place is worth 10x what just the piece of equipment is worth. Some of these were not in the most ideal location, but a lot of breweries succeed in out of the way locations. I hear one of them now is a dog kennel, or maybe does dog training.

The first time I got drunk, I was 12. I was with my parents in Munich, and the restaurant gave me all the wine I wanted. When I was 16, I went to Europe with a bunch of other high school students, and the only place where I couldn't get drinks was one bar in Amsterdam. The trip was 5 weeks long, and I got hammered a bunch of times. They were happy to sell me hard liquor, not just beer. Not sure the European approach was the best.

I had such a great time, it taught me a lesson, which was that alcohol was the one thing that would make me the life of the party and make girls like me. I would have been better off if I had thrown up after every drink.
The problem is you are American and aren’t raised to not gulp anything down you can get your hands on as fast as you can. Does it happen to Europeans? Sure, but the whole “ Abstinence” shtick that America tries absolutely backfires on everything it’s applied to. Alcohol, sex, drugs, food, it doesn’t matter.
This sums it up pretty well: Emma Watson says she's been drinking wine since she was a kid but didn't realize other teens used it 'for getting wasted'

lolz! I was fortunate to have been flown into the Greater Munchen Area on business in the middle of Oktoberfest and conveyed around the notable bierhauses by the local sales dudes. I saw plenty of merriment (that Hofbräuhaus behind the Glockenspiel was a total riot) but fortunately no face-down drunkards. Same deal at Kloster Andechs - lots of red faced folks that probably should not have even considered driving home but I didn't trip over any bodies :)

Cheers!

Munich has a pretty nice subway. Drinkers in the city don't need to drive.

An all-foam pour ensures lots of gas for the Czech belching contests that will ensue. The Czechs drink Duff Beer--who knew?

a1f7c0ef590d6dc2ee5e8dcf66f1ef85.gif
tumblr_88dce36dc50e602c07728459ad3d7cdf_58ab56a0_500.gif

Munich has a pretty nice subway. Drinkers in the city don't need to drive.

Kloster Andechs is a bit under an hour drive from Munich (some of it autobahn, which is always fun), but there is a train that takes about 90 minutes. I do believe quite a few of the folks we had seen there took the train because there were "waves" of them arriving at the same time...

Cheers!

The problem is you are American and aren’t raised to not gulp anything down you can get your hands on as fast as you can. Does it happen to Europeans? Sure, but the whole “ Abstinence” shtick that America tries absolutely backfires on everything it’s applied to. Alcohol, sex, drugs, food, it doesn’t matter.
This sums it up pretty well: Emma Watson says she's been drinking wine since she was a kid but didn't realize other teens used it 'for getting wasted'

I think the main problems were the supervision I had at 12 and 16, which may not conflict too much with what you're saying. But let's face it; plenty of Europeans turn their kids into drunks. The Irish take their kids to pubs, where everyone gets plastered and sings. They have a horrible alcoholism rate. The English just came in first in a survey to determine which Europeans drank the most in Europe. The Finns and Russians...it's a wonder they function as nations. If you're saying all European nations are better at handling alcohol than we are, well, that's just wrong.

On the high school trip, we had several teachers with us, as well as the couple that ran the tour. They drank with us! Some of the kids were as young as 14! One of the teachers was 24, and he had a romance with a beautiful Jamaican girl who was 17. Her mother owned the Double Bubble factory in Jamaica, we were told.

The night before we flew home, they took us to a gay bar in Paris. The Wunderbar. That was a little weird. I passed out and slept in a rolled-up rug in a room with two 14-year-old girls from Georgia.

I think the main problems were the supervision I had at 12 and 16, which may not conflict too much with what you're saying. But let's face it; plenty of Europeans turn their kids into drunks. The Irish take their kids to pubs, where everyone gets plastered and sings. They have a horrible alcoholism rate. The English just came in first in a survey to determine which Europeans drank the most in Europe. The Finns and Russians...it's a wonder they function as nations. If you're saying all European nations are better at handling alcohol than we are, well, that's just wrong.

On the high school trip, we had several teachers with us, as well as the couple that ran the tour. They drank with us! Some of the kids were as young as 14! One of the teachers was 24, and he had a romance with a beautiful Jamaican girl who was 17. Her mother owned the Double Bubble factory in Jamaica, we were told.

The night before we flew home, they took us to a gay bar in Paris. The Wunderbar. That was a little weird. I passed out and slept in a rolled-up rug in a room with two 14-year-old girls from Georgia.

Awesome. Keep talking please.

I sometimes wonder if genetics is a big factor in the way nations handle alcohol. The Southern Europeans don't seem to have the problems people farther north do.

When I lived in Israel, the Jewish Israelis could not figure out why the gentile volunteers got drunk all the time. One of them told me that to them, beer was just "fizzy water."

You guys are funny. And some great stories being told! I'm enjoying it. But I kind of agree...Americans, I don't think, have a better handle on alcohol. Prohibition was the worst experiment in history. But there may be something to northern countries having more alcohol use, what with it being colder and darker for a lot of the year.

Latest posts

Back