This came out of my dip tube.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TreAdidas

Reaction score
Anyone have any idea what in the heck this thing is? I was cleaning out a dip tube on a keg and this was sitting in the tube. It looks like a diffuser of some sort. Any ideas?

IMG_0401.jpg

IMG_0402.jpg

Yes in fact I do. I'm guessing it was a used or borrowed keg. That said those are epoxy mixers, food safe hdpe, used to add drag on the beer as it exits the keg so you can use less beer line to the tap and higher co2 levels.

Sweet. The for the info. I was able to track down some more info on them here http://myadventuresinbrewing.blogspot.com/2009/07/too-much-foam.html.

Interestingly enough, the keg this was in gave me an infection on two separate beers. Such prompted me to buy a dip tube brush. I cannot help but wonder if there was some residual bacteria hanging out in this thing. There was certainly some hop matter stuck in it.

Interestingly enough, the keg this was in gave me an infection on two separate beers. Such prompted me to buy a dip tube brush. I cannot help but wonder if there was some residual bacteria hanging out in this thing. There was certainly some hop matter stuck in it.

Bummer. Too bad whoever sold it to you didn't reveal there was a mixer in there.

... those are epoxy mixers, food safe hdpe ...

I looked into these a while back and, based on my ever-failing memory, recall these being made of a _potentially_ volatile plastic and so I abandoned the pursuit. I certainly do not recall them being made of anything food grade, let alone hdpe. Do you have a source for your claim? Because, if they are hdpe (and preferably food grade hdpe) then I might again pursue them.

Bummer. Too bad whoever sold it to you didn't reveal there was a mixer in there.

Dumb question, I guess, but doesn't everybody remove their posts, and at least "eyeball" the diptube? It takes just a couple of minutes, and sometimes I find lots of crud in there, and hops debris and sludge in the poppits. I mean, maybe not everybody breaks down a keg every single time they use it (I do), but at least when getting a "new" keg, I would do that at a minimum.

Dumb question, I guess, but doesn't everybody remove their posts, and at least "eyeball" the diptube? It takes just a couple of minutes, and sometimes I find lots of crud in there, and hops debris and sludge in the poppits. I mean, maybe not everybody breaks down a keg every single time they use it (I do), but at least when getting a "new" keg, I would do that at a minimum.

I was thinking the same thing. I can't help but tinker with new to me stuff.

Any keg I get I break it down, soak parts, fill with PBW solution and reassemble. New or used. Maybe the mixer was at the bottom of the straight portion of the dip tube and never got flipped upside down.

Any keg I get I break it down, soak parts, fill with PBW solution and reassemble. New or used. Maybe the mixer was at the bottom of the straight portion of the dip tube and never got flipped upside down.

Not sure... I figured I should've bought a brush to clean out the dip tube, but I didn't. I broke everything down and replaced the o-rings, dip tube included. I figured just running a keg's worth of PBW and StarSan would do the trick... obviously not.

I looked into these a while back and, based on my ever-failing memory, recall these being made of a _potentially_ volatile plastic and so I abandoned the pursuit. I certainly do not recall them being made of anything food grade, let alone hdpe. Do you have a source for your claim? Because, if they are hdpe (and preferably food grade hdpe) then I might again pursue them.

I can say that the ones that came out of my keg were very brittle. Surprisingly so. Further, the plastic itself had become rough. I don't think I would be down for intentionally using these, HDPE or not.

That's it. I used to use them. Throw it away and use the right length hose. The only benefit is that they let you use short hose lengths.

+1. I'm a fan of keeping the complication and number of components to a minimum. I'll stick with proper hose lengths. Works fine for me.

Back