Third Year Hops Not Doing Well, Clay Soil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

$bill

Reaction score
I'm in Southern CA. It used to be orange groves where I live; about 60 years ago they got rid of the oranges and built what is now my neighborhood. The soil has a lot of clay in it.

A few years ago I transplanted some rhizomes. I had some growing in orange plastic Homer buckets from HD with holes drilled for drainage, and I was basically neglecting them. I dug holes in my clay soil, about 3 feet across, a couple of feet deep, and transferred the rhizomes from the Homer buckets to the holes, putting in some Miracle-Gro potting soil as needed. At first, these rhizomes responded nicely, but last year a couple of them died, and the two which remain seem very anemic. Last year they exhibited very limited growth, with the cones appearing stunted (undersized) relative to what I had experienced.

My usual watering method is to put a hose on a timer, and let it trickle water around the crown for 5-10 minutes. I don't think I am overwatering, but what do I know? Around this time of year, I might dissolve some Miracle-Gro into a watering can and give each plant a 1/2 gallon or so from time to time.

Long story short, I got some new rhizomes from Freshops last month. I dug out the dead crowns, and opened up the holes a bit, filling them with new Ocean Forest potting soil. I put a 1/2" layer of ground pumice in the bottom of each hole to aid with drainage/moisture control. Hopefully, these will do well; I'll be more careful with my watering.

But I am wondering if there is anything I can do to salvage the three+ year old plants. I mulch them with coffee grounds, and I do have a compost tumbler. Someone I know suggests that I try making a compost tea, which I have never tried. A guy in the store where I bought the Ocean Forest also suggested that I try vertical mulching (dig/bore a hole, fill with Ocean Forest). I'm open to any suggestions, including digging these underperformers out.

A few things. For those of us in warmer climate a HUGE issue with hops is they need winter exposure to cold to be of a certain duration and temperature combo. IF this requirement isn't met the plants will not climb, they come out in the spring and just sit there like a short bush of less than 12" tall. I had this experience with a southern facing hill in MS after moving some hops. Even commercial growers in the Williamette Valley experience this issue after particularly mild winters.

Other things, hops hate acidic soil so liming is a good thing. Lyming the soil would help if you suspect this is an issue.

The hot climate is working against you. I've had issues with growing hops in certain full exposure areas in MS vs partially shaded spaces. They just don't like oppressive heat which you may/may not have.

There are a myriad of issues but you should pour the fertalize to them weekly till the cones appear then cease all fertilizer feedings.

forgot, basic brewing radio had a good episode earlier this year on spring hop care, had some good and probably useful information for you

Never grown hops but routinely deal with clay. Normal course of action is to double the size of what the hole should be. Then add in peat/compost/hay, or heck even sand to help keep the clay broken up. Once clay dries out, it turns something concrete-like. Keeping it wet helps, but it is easy to be too wet.

You might do a soil test so you know exactly what you are dealing with.

Sort of a peripheral issue, but I planted some of my new rhizomes in Homer buckets and some in the ground. The soil in the homer buckets has supported a few years' worth of tomatoes and such as that, but it is mainly a combination of well-aged Miracle-Gro potting soil, some of my dad's compost, and a fresh layer of Ocean Forest on top of the rhizomes. It has been allowed to sit/compact/age gracefully; I have not turned it or disturbed it. The hop rhizomes in the Homer buckets are growing rapidly after just a month. Identical rhizomes, planted in the ground, on top of a hole full of brand new Ocean Forest, are growing half as fast. Is it a temperature thing? Clearly, the sun warms the soil in the Homer buckets to a greater degree. Sun exposure is roughly the same for all the plantings.

A follow-up to the post above:

Eventually what happened with those new rhizomes was as follows. The ones planted in the ground started slower, but eventually outgrew the ones planted in Homer buckets by a huge margin.

I've already taken some cones off the ones planted in the ground, whereas the ones planted in the Homer buckets had a quick, early growth spurt, which was then followed by a period of seeming ill health, where the leaves didn't look good at all. I was thinking that they (the ones in the Homer buckets) were probably dying, and then all of a sudden, another growth spurt with new bines and lots of new leaves.

All of this got me thinking. I've been feeding the established plants referenced in the OP with compost tea and seeing some benefit. However, the huge cones that my cascade used to produce are still pretty late and pretty stunted this year. Would it be stupid to wait until the plants are dormant, and then dig them up, so as to enlarge their holes, and add some new Ocean Forest?

The plants I put into the Ocean Forest are growing well, except for a Chinook which I probably didn't water enough early on.

Back