third batch, how should I brew it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

navyguy06

Reaction score
Making a caribou slobber extract kit w/ specialty grains from northern brewer. I Read the directions and am wanting to increase gravity in hopes to increase to a rough 6%-7% beer. How would I accomplish this, or is there even a way.

Additional DME, LME, or even brown sugar would work. Test it out in a recipe calculator first to plan ahead (Brewtoad, BeerSmith, etc).

Is there a formula that could follow? I.e. for every pound of extra DME added, add "x" ounzes of choice hops? Or do u just try and follow the BU/GU chart?

Ok so I went to brewtoad and input the recipe exactly how northernbrewer says to then I proceeded to adjust accordingly by adding 4 more lbs of fermentable sugars bringing OG to 1.083 and FG to 1.026. Now I also adjusted my hops adding 1 more oz. of my 45 min. hops. Bringing IBU to 41. End result, 7.5% ABV and .5 BU/GU however its definitely not a traditional brown ale. Any tips or suggestions, should I brew it?

What is the original ABV and IBU?

Would you be OK with increasing the ABV a little and lowering the IBU's a little? What are you expectations?

Would you be OK with increasing the ABV a little and lowering the IBU's a little? What are you expectations?

Original is 5.5% abv and an IBU of 38. I increased IBU to 41 and abv to 7.5% by adding 1 lbs LME and 3 lbs DME. What do you think.

Original is 5.5% abv and an IBU of 38. I increased IBU to 41 and abv to 7.5% by adding 1 lbs LME and 3 lbs DME. What do you think.

I think it's going to seem very sweet. You essentially haven't changed the IBU's and are adding over a third more extract to the beer. If you're going forward with the changes I would at least swap out some of that extract for a little sugar to bring the FG down. Realize that will raise the ABV even more so you may want to compensate. It's definitely a different beer now.

Edit: actually it's more like 50% additional extract given you're using more DME

I'm guessing you added more hops too as you increased the IBU's as well? If not then you reduced the IBU's.

I think it's going to seem very sweet. You essentially haven't changed the IBU's and are adding over a third more extract to the beer. If you're going forward with the changes I would at least swap out some of that extract for a little sugar to bring the FG down. Realize that will raise the ABV even more so you may want to compensate. It's definitely a different beer now.

Edit: actually it's more like 50% additional extract given you're using more DME

so do you think i should ad a 30 minute hop addition to try and increase IBU? or should i change the 60 minute hop addition to a higher AAU hop to balance it out?

What numbers would Brewtoad calculate if you brewed the CS as 4 gallons?

ok for some reason i am not getting a difference if i lower it to 4 gal. OG is 1.083 FG is 1.026 with IBU still sitting at 41, SRM is 12 which i like, not to dark to light. and ABV is still at 7%-7.5%

my expectations are to have a "slightly" higher ABV than normal CS. without having to make it to malty. im a fan of higher IBU.

I haven't make the CS recipe but I have brewed styles like it and I've had the commercial version. I agree it's not either sweet or very malty IMO. The BU:GU ratio on the recipe as written is .73. If you want a beer more like the original I would try to aim for something like 1.070, keep the BU:GU ratio the same so about 51 IBU, and then try to get it to finish lower like 1.015 or 1.016 giving you about 7.1-7.2% ABV. I don't think you'll get there with that recipe without some simple sugar. Maybe something like adding 1 lb light DME, 1 lb cane sugar, and bumping up one of the bittering additions to hit about 50-52 IBU. Also if using liquid yeast I would be sure to pitch the proper amount with a starter and oxygenate your wort.

Back