Thinking of trying AG. Would this work?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danok1

Reaction score
I'm thinking of trying all grain, and I don't want to get a whole bunch of stuff if I don't enjoy the process and results. I saw a video where a guy used his bottling bucket with a collapsible steamer as his mash tun (http://www.homebrewjunkie.com/2011/01/3-gallon-all-grain-homebrewing-video.html).

Would this work? I imagine he'd lose heat from his mash fairly easily. How could the mash temp be maintained?

I'm tempted to try this, since I already have all the equipment. I'm just a bit concerned that this might not give a good result due to possible issues with mash temp. Would I be better off trying a small-batch BIAB?

Thanks,
Dan

I would go with BIAB if you want to get a feel for it. Easy, clean and not difficult at all. Plus it's way easier to do inside

My first all grain was 6lbs of grain in a stainless steel pot mashed at 155 with one hop addition to see how it would turn out.
it was fine. No blankets or anything to retain heat and I only lost 2 degrees over the hour mash with the pot sitting on the electric burner with it off. Beer was fine for my first time.

Look up Deathbrewers easy stove top all grain thread, great stuff. I still use that method for up to middle weight beers.

I'm thinking of trying all grain, and I don't want to get a whole bunch of stuff if I don't enjoy the process and results. I saw a video where a guy used his bottling bucket with a collapsible steamer as his mash tun (http://www.homebrewjunkie.com/2011/01/3-gallon-all-grain-homebrewing-video.html).

Would this work? I imagine he'd lode heat from his mash fairly easily. How could the mash temp be maintained?

I'm tempted to try this, since I already have all the equipment. I'm just a bit concerned that this might not give a good result due to possible issues with mash temp. Would I be better off trying a small-batch BIAB?

Thanks,
Dan

I do small BIAB batches, I started w/5 gallon kits. Since I don't drink that much beer per day I had way to much of the same brew sitting around waiting to be drunk I switched to the small AG BIAB method and have never looked back. You don't need expensive equipment. Check out the video.

Last edited by a moderator:
C-Rider,

Thanks for the video. I'm the only one in my house who drinks beer, so I'm looking to do smaller batches, at least occasionally. I'm going to try the BIAB. I bought the grains, &c., yesterday. I just need to get a paint straining bag.

Thanks all for your replies.

-Dan

C-Rider,

Thanks for the video. I'm the only one in my house who drinks beer, so I'm looking to do smaller batches, at least occasionally. I'm going to try the BIAB. I bought the grains, &c., yesterday. I just need to get a paint straining bag.

Thanks all for your replies.

-Dan

Same here Dan, SWMBO doesn't drink beer. Once in a while hiking buddies will help me drink but as you can see below I have a good pick of what to drink doing small batches. Also when pressing the grain bag I've switched from using my hands on that HOT grain to holding a coffee cup in each hand. I can now press a lot harder than bare handed. Enjoy you beer. As we say in the islands:
Okole Maluna
Bottoms Up.

:mug:

I assume that if you insulated the bucket, the temp would hold just fine. I'd give it a try before you go out and buy any more equipment.

I do 1 gallon batches as well, and use a 2 gallon beverage cooler/mesh bag combo for my mash tun. It works great and will hold the temp within 1-2° for a 60min mash. Though it has a spigot, I just lift the bag out to drain as it's easier. The cooler was only $10 at Home Depot online.

cheers!

Well, I gave the BIAB a shot today. I was expecting to get 3 gallons or so; only ended up with 2.5. I also came in at 1.050 OG. I obviously have some things to figure out! But in the end, I expect to have beer, so I've got that going for me!

I think I'm going to try a few more batches this way. If they turn out well, I'm going to have to scale this up to 5 gallon batches.

Thanks again to all.

-Dan

Primary: "Boston Common"
Primary: Centennial Blonde
Secondary: Nada
Bottled/Carbing: Nada
Bottled/Drinking: English Pale Ale

Latest posts

Back