Thinking about kegging for the first time...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ashleyd205

Reaction score
Hey guys, i am fairly new to brewing and have only bottled 5 of my batches but i am thinking about kegging instead. I am just trying to see what is involved (and also what kind of financial investment it is) and the insight of my fellow homebrewtalkers. Any info, tips, knowledge and opinions would be great.

Kegs are great, but will cost. Bottles are great for long term keeping, but kegging is faster and carbonation is much more controllable. When shopping for kegs, check out kegconnection (I get great service from them). CO2 bottles...$. Keep in mind you want to keep the kegs cold(kegerator, freezer, fridge, temp control) so you can drink it!

You need:
1. At least 1 keg - figure $30-$70 used
2. Co2 tank - $50?
3. Regulator - $60
4. Somewhere to keep the keg cold - see below.
5. Gas line, beverage line, picnic tap $15-20 or so.

For example, I picked up from kegconnection around the holidays a kit with a keg, 4# Co2 tank, two gauge regulator, gas line with quick disconnect, bev line with quick disconnect and picnic tap for under $120. For #4, you can buy a kegalator, or convert an old refrigerator, or create a keezer from a freezer (old or new). I have both a converted refrigerator and a keezer. In the long run I would recommend the keezer route...all that is required to start is a used freezer, as long as the refrigerant lines aren't in the shelves along with an STC-1000 (aka "ebay digital temperature controller") which you use to externally control the freezer operation so that it maintains temperature in a beer range instead of freezing. The freezer will cost you whatever (used), the STC-1000 costs about $23-$24 plus you will need to spend $10 or so to put it in a project box and wire it up. If you go the used refrigerator route, you avoid the need to control the temperature externally. Hopefully I didn't over-complicate this, please feel free to ask questions.

Once you go the kegging route, you will wonder why you ever bottled!

Back