Thinking about future yeasts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Devo9

Reaction score
So I had some troubles securing a semi-sweet mead with ABV below 16% with my first batch using champagne yeast. I am now thinking about my next batch, cuz lets face it, now that I have started home brewing I'm not sure I can/want to stop!

Does anyone have any recommendations for a low alcohol tolerant yeast that will target about 14%-15% ABV? I am thinking about Lalvin ICV-D47 (Côtes-du-Rhône) or Red Star Côte des Blancs, any input or advice?

And If I wanted to do a batch of sparkling mead, could I do so with one of these yeasts?

Thanks in advance!

I used D47 for my first few meads. It's a good yeast that settles well afterwards, but you have to keep it below 20c or you end up with rocket fuel. I've not used Cotes des Blancs.

I don't have time to read what you wrote about future yeasts but I think they will probably wear metallic clothing, drive flying cars, and rely heavily on robots.

Thanks for the input Insomniac. I'll keep that in mind.

KingBrianI - not quite the future I had in mind, but you could be right. I was thinking more in the near future, something along the lines of a few months. Hopefully yeast hasn't progressed that far so soon... But I guess you never know...

I think 71B is rated for 14%.

Yes, I believe it is. I am also looking at Lalvin W27, I kind of like the idea of a Swiss Strain. Plus cold resistance is probably good for the my region... however the deciding factor will probably be the local homebrew store's selection!

Yes, I believe it is. I am also looking at Lalvin W27, I kind of like the idea of a Swiss Strain. Plus cold resistance is probably good for the my region... however the deciding factor will probably be the local homebrew store's selection!
Actually no. If you search for "morewine" and follow the links for yeasts/fermenting; you'll find the largest available range. I understand that they repackage some of the commercial strains normally only available in half kilo packs into home brew sizes.

It's only a mail order away.

Most HBS only keep the "usual suspects"

fatbloke said:
Actually no. If you search for "morewine" and follow the links for yeasts/fermenting; you'll find the largest available range. I understand that they repackage some of the commercial strains normally only available in half kilo packs into home brew sizes.

Wow, good to know! Thanks!

I searched "Morewine" in google and got a site:

http://morewinemaking.com/

am I in the right place??

OK, it looks like that was the right place... so now my dilema isn't "what yeast will my HBS have", it is "too many choices!!" lol, not a terrible problem to have I guess, but I am a little overwelmed now.

Anyone want to help me out and let me know what their favorite yeasts are?? (Maybe a why as well, pros and cons)

Back