Think I lost a good bit of hops to boil over. Screwed or RDWHAHB?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bsteggeman

Reaction score
I need to vent a little anxiety.

So I brewed Midwest Supplies' Lemon Coriander Weiss this afternoon.

I added 1 oz of the Saaz pellets at 60 mins, and the boil basically exploded. I've never seen anything like it.

It was a full 6 gallon boil, and I was stirring the wort vigorously before and while I was adding the hops, but it didn't matter. It boiled over like crazy and I had a ton of hop residue down the sides of the kettle and on the ground around my burner. I tried to salvage what little I could, but I think I might have lost most of my bittering hops to the boilover.

I added another ounce of Saaz at 2 mins per the recipe.

Is my brew screwed, or should I RDWHAHB? This brew is pretty important; the bottles are supposed to be favors at my wedding in May and I'm trying to decide if I should scrap the batch now and start a do-over, or just ride it out.

It certainly isn't screwed, but you probably did loose some bittering power. I say relax and drink. Worst case scenario is you learn you don't like unbalanced overly malty beer.

If it does come out too unbalanced you can always blend it with something hoppy.

Scott

It is like a vehicle leaking oil. What looks like a gallon on the driveway really isn't but a few ounces if you measured it. I'm sure you lost a lot less than you think. I wouldn't worry.

Same exact thing happened during my brew session just this past Tuesday... I checked the gravity today and took a sip... I can taste the hops just fine...

Your beer will be fine.

Consider it a lesson learned. Order some Fermcap for your next brew.

Don't drop all the pellets in at once. Add a few, wait for the reaction, add some more.

RDWHAHB

I was stirring the wort vigorously before and while I was adding the hops, but it didn't matter. It boiled over like crazy

Next time focus on heat control rather than a vigorous stir. The beer, it should still be quite tasty.

Don't drop all the pellets in at once. Add a few, wait for the reaction, add some more.
That's the best way to do it without adding any other chemicals. Even if you add an ounce over the course of a minute or two, you would never notice the difference.

Back