Think I have a real dumper

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HutBrew

Reaction score
I’m using Philly sour for the first time, and I found very, very white furry things all over my fermenter, and especially on the dip tube in my fermzilla.

The whole thing smells like a rotten log blasting out of the air lock…

Looking back on my brew day, I don’t think I did a good job sanitizing the floating dip tube with one step….

I’ll do a quick taste on Saturday, but I think I’m going to have to go back to the drawing board. I’ll deep clean the fermenter and step up my sanitizing game

Funk could be due to lack of sanitation, but might also be the "sour". It is called that for a reason.

Not my favorite flavor, but can be an interesting brew. I'll ad that my only experinece making it has been unintentional, so my advice might not be worth much.

In general, my advise is not to give up on a batch until it has finished fermenting and stabilized a bit. If you have the keg capacity.

Sometimes brews that taste off at first taste much better after finished out and cold crashed for a bit.

I’m using Philly sour for the first time, and I found very, very white furry things all over my fermenter, and especially on the dip tube in my fermzilla.

The whole thing smells like a rotten log blasting out of the air lock…

Looking back on my brew day, I don’t think I did a good job sanitizing the floating dip tube with one step….

I’ll do a quick taste on Saturday, but I think I’m going to have to go back to the drawing board. I’ll deep clean the fermenter and step up my sanitizing game
woah woah. you're making a sour beer, you need to step back. These beers get ultra-funky at some point. I can't comment on your exact situation, but accept that sour brewing can be a very funky ride. Have a look here before you do anything rash.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/pellicle-photo-collection.174033/

Thanks for the support-
I would have uploaded pictures- had the mold (hopefully just protein clumps) not fallen off the dip tube when I tried to move the fermenter into better lighting.

It didn’t look like the pellicle photos-

I looked more like a liquid mushroom culture like this one I found online:

39279174-3C95-46B8-A4F5-C62D25B0AAE2.png

I’ve also had batches before where there have been protein clumps that form on the bottom that sort of resembled this image as well- and those beers were fine.

The concerning thing for me is the smell- it smells awfully musky and quite foul. My fiancée was across the room and made a concerning comment about the smell…

I ended up cracking the lid on the fermzilla to get a better whiff and I was not pleased. I purged it with co2 afterwards.

I suppose I’ll wait to see if the mold takes over, or the Philly yeast actually ferments through.

Wish me luck…

Back