Think I broke a coolant line in chest freezer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

raemix

Reaction score
So I was drilling holes for my taps and I hear this PPPSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

I'm assuming I cut a coolant line. I was drilling in the upper left corner (if you're looking directly at the front of the cooler) I thought for sure there would be no coolant lines there, as the entire cooling assembly appears to be self contained in a little box area in the bottom of the cooler.

So now my question is, can I repair the line? If so I'm going to have to disassemble the side of the cooler, and that's not proving to be very easy either.

Any thoughts??

Do a search on the board, and you'll find that MANY have ruptured coolant lines attempting to convert fridges and freezers to kegorators, and MANY have tried to repair the coolant line, but I have yet to hear of anyone that actually pulled it off.

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you might have a big paperweight on your hands.

you're screwed

the lines run all thru the keezer. that's why all 4 walls get cold. the box just houses the compressor

if you know how to fix refrigeration systems, it can be done pretty easily. you have to patch the hole (braze in another legnth of copper tube), pull a vacuum on the system, and then refill with the proper refrigerant.

if you dont already know how to do this, though, and dont already have the tools required, its going to be easier and cheaper to scrap it and buy a new fridge.

This is also why a wood collar is recommended. You can add that on top of the freezer, top it off with the lid and do anything you want to the wood without having an expensive oops.
I'm just using two 2x8" pine boards that were cut up, and multiple holes into it. And it's not hard to just switch out a board section if necessary.

if you know how to fix refrigeration systems, it can be done pretty easily. you have to patch the hole (braze in another legnth of copper tube), pull a vacuum on the system, and then refill with the proper refrigerant.

if you dont already know how to do this, though, and dont already have the tools required, its going to be easier and cheaper to scrap it and buy a new fridge.

well, not to be a jag, but chances are if he's on here asking the question.....he probably doesn't know how to repair a fridge...

I know that sound, as soon as I heard it I started laughing at $#%# stupid I was. Cost me $45 to have someone come and haul a side by side away that I could have had removed when I bought a new kitchen fridge.

Even if you could repair it, I don't think the newer freezers are designed to be taken apart easily. You'd probably have to do surgery and then . . . forget about it and move on.

I am a nationally, and universally, certified HVAC-R (Refrigeration) technician.

You're screwed. I can't tell you how many times people have tried to cut through the walls, not realising that for applications like chest freezers the walls ARE the evaporator coils. It's shot. Can it be fixed?... Yes, if you wish to pay more for repairs than what you paid for the unit new. I will not personally service small appliances like refrigerators or freezers unless the owner knows that it will cost them more to fix it than to buy a new one. It always does.

I'm sorry, you'll just need to buy a new one, and you can not fix it without very specialized tools and materials, let alone the fact that you will have to have more R-134A, and small appliances like this don't even have access valves on them. you're looking at a couple hundred $$$ minimum to have this thing repaired.

Jonas

Excellent! My contacts on Beta Epsilon are in need of your assistance - their slurm chilling unit is on the fritz. Contact info to follow...

Cheers! ;)

Sorry, but there may be a slight sanitation issue, considering this particular product comes out of the Slurm Queen's A$$. Besides my certifications only cover my work done within the nation, and not inter-planetary.
However Lurr, of the planet Omicron-Persei 8, needs his warp drive repaired, and I'll be swamped for weeks on that!

Cheers!

Leaving my earlier harsh comments aside, I can also voice a little experience here.

I have an uncle in the heating/cooling business. I can get parts and refrigerant at cost, and free labor. Even with that deal, it has never been financially practical to have him repair anything cooling related for me (refrigerator, A/C, etc...). It's still always been cheaper to just go replace it (plus I get newer stuff that uses less juice).

Handy guy to have around when the furnace or water heater needs work, though....

Back