Things that have fallen in your beer !

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
they dont make thermometers with mercury in them anymore.

i think that only scientific ones are still, due to being more precise and ability to have higher temperatures.

iv had my top fall in on my keggle aluminum top that fell in as it was is slightly to small for the hole, other than than nothing as of yet.

i think that only scientific ones are still, due to being more precise and ability to have higher temperatures.

This is correct. My wife works in a lab at a huge hospital firm. She can use & can order true mercury thermometers. But why risk it.. at least for beer. alcohol can kill many things... but a heavy metal? :rockin: wait.. i hear "DIO"

A racoon. You got to explain that one! :D

we just pressed a bunch of wild plums and huckleberries. It was late in the day so we put the the lid on the sugar barrel (a little cockeyed apparently). So the next morning there a lid on the ground and a racoon in the barrel. had to flip it out with a paddle and chase it out of the barn.

At that point in winemaking sanitation is hosing out the pickup bed so you can lay a clean tarp in it, so what damage is a wet racoon going to do.
the wine was fine.

As I was pouring chilled wort into fermenter my son comes running through the kitchen and tripped, sending his cheerios into my wort. I spooned it out and the beer turned out to be a great beer.

Had a valve issue and dump my wort into a washer thing I keep on the floor. It poured over my sneaker. We poured it back and made sneaker beer. It was excellent.

A dog hair. Not really unusual and I'm sure it wasn't the first in one of my brews. It was just surreal.

I was transferring from my cold crash into a keg. I had just pulled the siphon tube out and was grabbing the keg lid when the hair caught my eye. It was about two feet above the keg and drifting back and forth. I mentally screamed "Noooooo!" After what seemed like forever, it landed just on the surface of my beer. I debated sanitizing something and fishing it out. Decided it wasn't worth the effort.

We have two dogs. Somehow they shed 50% of their weight in hair every other day. I'm sure every batch of beer I've made has astray hair or two...I just managed to catch this particular hair in the act...

Great thread. I have dropped a rubber grommet into fermenter. Also had found a giant bumblebee in bottom of primary while racking to keg.

I had just built a hop spider and I was brewing a Hefeweizen last week. At the the start of the boil I noticed that the clamp holding the paint strainer bag was a little loose so I got a flat head to tighten it up and as I finished up, it fell in. I couldn't find any tongs, so I had to scramble to fish it out. Lesson learned.

The family cats tongue!!! It jumped on the coffee table and started sniffing my beer. I sat there and waited to see his reaction. He then stuck his damn head in my drink and licked the beer. He then almost did a back flip off the table. I laughed so hard. And still drank my beer, to pour it out would be alcohol abuse......

12' probe thermometer last week while cooling,pain in the butt to retrieve.
I`ve also dropped a White Labs yeast vial in BB when pitching.That one was
really a pain in the butt to retrieve.Had to dump fermentor and then rerack.
The Kolsch came out so so and was way overcarbonated even with the right
amount of corn sugar.Must of caught a bug with that mistake.

A racking tube fell into my carboy from my BC while I was emptying the wort. I quickly sanitized a coat hanger to fish it out. It will be ready to keg next week. Hopefully it turns out OK.

Clip on probe thermometer into a rolling boil, fished it out with my mash paddle and it still works a year later.

During the winter I was mashing in my kitchen, must have spilled a little water and slipped while drinking my coffee. About half my cup went into the boil kettle while lautering...no one will ever know:)

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Only thing so far has been the stir bar. Used the magnetic fishtank cleaner on the outside of the carboy so i could get it to the neck to grab it.

I broke my glass thermometer in my chilling wort. Little lead balls and glass all in it. I guess it all settled nicely into with the rest of the trub and the brew tasted fantastic. Still have a couple of bottles left and so far, no swallowing glass.

I call B.S. on this one...

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

The ss aeration stone blew off the end of the tubing while oxygenating. It sat in the trub all during fermentation. After I bottled, I retrieved the stone from the carboy, boiled it in water to clean, and it still worked fine.

I now have all those connections secured with hose clamps.

Stir bar from the start flask.

One lens out of my reading glasses this morning. Fell into the boiler when adding hops to a pilsner. Damn loose screws...

I droped a plastic lme container into my wort right before boil fished it out when I was lifting it out thd labled sluffed off into my wort I sepnd ten minutes with a strainer fishing out peice of label we will see how it turns out

I've taken to dunking the LME cartons to slosh wort in and get the last drops of LME. Dropped the ring a couple times but the label has never come off. I've thought every time that I should peel the label off first, but never done it. Maybe I'm due for it to peel off...

My cat! I had just chilled the wort and was pouring it into my fermentation bucket when my cat got a little too curious and fell in. He quickly jumped out and after I myself cooled down I decided to go ahead with the process anyway, after I made sure there were no hairs or anything in there. Fermented it, bottled it, everything turned out okay. It was a success!

It was an Anchor Steam clone, so I named it California Kitty.

I've heard of Hair of the Dog, but "Hair of the Cat"???? :)

When spooning whisky soaked oak chips into my Carboy my brain shut down and threw the spoon in when I was done. And silver spoon stout was born

I call B.S. on this one...

I use one of those floating thermometers https://www.google.com/search?q=floating+thermometer&client=firefox-a&hs=P8v&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:eek:fficial&channel=sb&tbm=isch&imgil=xP4xoT3u0KoZGM%253A%253Bhttps%253A%252F%252Fencrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com%252Fimages%253Fq%253Dtbn%253AANd9GcTlwO06FPj33hKRWJlQq6TivQ3njEcMPqrQEy13rppF6cfC5716Wg%253B746%253B1178%253BHaepqcIu19ug-M%253Bhttp%25253A%25252F%25252Fwww.homebrewers.com%25252Fproduct%25252F5424%25252FFloating-Thermometer.html&source=iu&usg=__ZgwiYBE7SRiv4uwwVCquclmQVK0%3D&sa=X&ei=wI0YU-DUAsmf2QWgnYG4Cg&ved=0CEkQ9QEwAQ&biw=1600&bih=806#facrc=_&imgdii=_&imgrc=xP4xoT3u0KoZGM%253A%3BHaepqcIu19ug-M%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.homebrewers.com%252Fmedia%252Fimg%252Fhomebrewer%252FW746-H1178-Bffffff%252FF%252Fdsc01769.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.homebrewers.com%252Fproduct%252F5424%252FFloating-Thermometer.html%3B746%3B1178 to check the temp when cooling wort. Mine was floating kinda weird one time. I fished it out. , It was about half full of wort, and some was leaking out of the end. I had broken the end off. I figured the glass would all end up at the bottom anyway, so I didn't do anything about it. The actual thermometer was still intact inside the glass tube. This is probably what he is talking about.

I fished about a half dozen wasps out of a batch of pilsner last fall. They were on the ceiling of the garage, and would fall off the ceiling into the boiling wort.

Dropped into Brew pot by mistake:
1- Turkey Fryer Thermometer, one of those stick kind - sank right to bottom
2- Hop Spyder - managed to fish that out with recently bought tongs - see #1
3- little stainless cup i use to measure hops - they sink real fast, and are really hard to find in boiling wort !

I don't worry too much about things that drop into a boil - it is 212F .

Dropped in Fermentor by mistake:
1- Rubber gromet from bucket lid, they push through real easy !
2- Air lock - yup, the hole thing dropped in !
3- White Labs vial - i just let it sink, it was full of yeast & open !
4- More than one White labs Vial Cap - again, it was covered in yeast when it fell in !
5- I left a Hydrometer in a bucket for the whole fermentaion once !
6 - Stir bars - yup more than once ! You would think you would learn from the first mistake ?!
Nothing goes into my wort with out being wiped with 97% Iso Alcohol.

Never put your arm in to wort to fish out a White Labs cap, there is likely more wild yeast on your arm ( if you were brewing outside on that nice warm day ), than too worry about what that cap might do.

Leasons learned !
I no longer drink until my wort is in the sealed bucket !!

:mug:

Milwaukee 18 volt cordless drill into chilled RIS wort. I was worried about contamination so I hit it with a campden tablet and waited 24 hours to pitch. Still have some 2 year old bottles of it.

a galvanized metal kebab skewer that I used when I couldn't find my stainless legs for my spider. I didn't realized I'd done it either, had to dump the batch. The skewer was black by the time I found it, and bent like warm pasta so that was neat.

I had a bird poop into my boiling wort outside once, unfortunately I couldn't scoop the $hit out, as it dispersed in the boil. I started cursing up a storm, trying to think of ways that I could save the wort as I had about $40 in it at that point. I just came to the conclusion that there really was nothing I could do at that point except boil on, and by god, boil on I did! Luckily it occurred fairly early in the boil, so I'm fairly certain the poop got sterilized. I fermented as normal, and bottled it up! Did I actually drink the beer? Heck no! I gave that crap away to some of my "friends" :ban: Bird Turd Porter was born! And if you believe any of this, you really are gullible... LoL

Plenty of outside stuff, mainly leaves and bugs. I've learned to cover the pot with a mesh. I did have a bird deposit a pellet once while I was sparging. Luckily it wasn't white and liquid and I was able to scoop it out with a slotted spoon. And yes, I did boil and not worry about it. Beer turned out great!
Stir bar goes in the fermentor on a regular basis. I don't even worry about it anymore, I just retrieve it after racking.

I use one of those floating thermometers https://www.google.com/search?q=floating+thermometer&client=firefox-a&hs=P8v&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:eek:fficial&channel=sb&tbm=isch&imgil=xP4xoT3u0KoZGM%253A%253Bhttps%253A%252F%252Fencrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com%252Fimages%253Fq%253Dtbn%253AANd9GcTlwO06FPj33hKRWJlQq6TivQ3njEcMPqrQEy13rppF6cfC5716Wg%253B746%253B1178%253BHaepqcIu19ug-M%253Bhttp%25253A%25252F%25252Fwww.homebrewers.com%25252Fproduct%25252F5424%25252FFloating-Thermometer.html&source=iu&usg=__ZgwiYBE7SRiv4uwwVCquclmQVK0%3D&sa=X&ei=wI0YU-DUAsmf2QWgnYG4Cg&ved=0CEkQ9QEwAQ&biw=1600&bih=806#facrc=_&imgdii=_&imgrc=xP4xoT3u0KoZGM%253A%3BHaepqcIu19ug-M%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.homebrewers.com%252Fmedia%252Fimg%252Fhomebrewer%252FW746-H1178-Bffffff%252FF%252Fdsc01769.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.homebrewers.com%252Fproduct%252F5424%252FFloating-Thermometer.html%3B746%3B1178 to check the temp when cooling wort. Mine was floating kinda weird one time. I fished it out. , It was about half full of wort, and some was leaking out of the end. I had broken the end off. I figured the glass would all end up at the bottom anyway, so I didn't do anything about it. The actual thermometer was still intact inside the glass tube. This is probably what he is talking about.

I fished about a half dozen wasps out of a batch of pilsner last fall. They were on the ceiling of the garage, and would fall off the ceiling into the boiling wort.

I too have had a floating thermometer break in the wort before. Strained the sh*t out of the wort when I transferred it to make sure no glass or those little shots got into the fermenter and it turned out great.
Other stuff..Dog hair, gnats(late afternoon brew), a fly and my glasses once.
About it.

I dropped the hose connected to my aquarium pump into my glass carboy while aerating my wort. It went through the whole 4 week primary. Beer turned out great but getting the hose out wasn't.

Back