Things about your co-workers that annoy you

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a coworker who hails from da nederlands and he talks wike a wittle baby. Everything is "soooo here's da ting" and "when will it be weddy fer my revueeex"... So annoying I just want to kick him in the balls.

I've found the best solution to that is to learn a second and third language and spend a lot of time communicating in those languages.

I agree! Learning his co-workers language would be much easier than having to put up with the accent while the guy speak to him in a non-native tongue he learned.

:p :fro: ;)

Unemployment has dropped enough that it's starting to become a worker's market again, especially if you are willing to move. Just two weeks ago I saw another job I'm qualified for, would require a short move, that would up my salary by about 66%. I looked at my wife and said, "I can't pass that up."

I've never been one to get all that hung up on money. Granted, the fact that I've been regularly promoted and gotten raises tends to help. But right now I know I'm a bit underpaid for my title (a lot of this is due to the fact that I'm younger than almost everyone else at my peer level, so I haven't built up the years of salary increases they had). I *know* my bosses want to keep me around, though.

But now I'm getting divorced and will have to pay spousal and child support. I'm going to have to make sure my bosses know that this *is* now an issue, and that I expect them to look out for me. There might be a promotion soon, which will ease my pressure quite a bit. If there's not, I'm going to have to talk to them about making sure I'm taken care of in the next round of compensation reviews coming up mid-year...

I recently read an article that kind of rings true. It stated that many people who leave one job for another mainly do so because of their direct superiors. I've left a few jobs without having another one lined up because I couldn't stand my manager/supervisor that much.

However, assuming your direct supervisors aren't an issue, then that's when you see people looking to other companies for a pay increase or better benefits.

One thing I like about the mover's business, is that your direct superior is usually in the driver's seat of the vehicle you're in. Helpers tend to get circulated around different drivers until they find a good fit.

However, I'm in training to leave the mover's industry all together. I'm getting too old for it, and I'm only 32. I can feel it every morning when I try to get out of bed.

However, I'm in training to leave the mover's industry all together. I'm getting too old for it, and I'm only 32. I can feel it every morning when I try to get out of bed.

I hear you on that one. I've done a few of my own moves many years ago, loading all of our belongings into a U-Haul truck, and back out again. Last time I did that I was 38, and I told myself "never again!"

Doing that day in and day out is back-breaking. I'll bet it gets old fast.

I've never been one to get all that hung up on money. Granted, the fact that I've been regularly promoted and gotten raises tends to help. But right now I know I'm a bit underpaid for my title (a lot of this is due to the fact that I'm younger than almost everyone else at my peer level, so I haven't built up the years of salary increases they had). I *know* my bosses want to keep me around, though.

But now I'm getting divorced and will have to pay spousal and child support. I'm going to have to make sure my bosses know that this *is* now an issue, and that I expect them to look out for me. There might be a promotion soon, which will ease my pressure quite a bit. If there's not, I'm going to have to talk to them about making sure I'm taken care of in the next round of compensation reviews coming up mid-year...

I agree. I learned my lesson about taking a job only for the money. That job only lasted 10 months. Then I went crawling back to my previous job.

I know this company even though I don't know this particular office and it's a good company. It's the kind of job I could use to get myself on a couple national research committees, do work I know I love, and get paid what I know I'm worth.

Even if was just two of those four reasons, it would have been enough to consider applying for the job. But all four, those opportunities don't come around often.

People who eat/bring in leftover seafood for lunch... It smells absolutely horrible and permeates the entire floor...you're an A**hole

I worked with a Chinese dude who did that. He always had some disgusting fish that he'd microwave in the office nuker that stunk up the whole department. Manager finally had to tell him to eat in the cafeteria, not at his desk.

He also hawked loogies into the waste basket. Talk about gross.

It's only at breakfast that it gets me. Whether it's having a platter of fish heads staring at me in the Congo or a Jamaican welder opening a can of sardines at 5 am.

But I do support the food choices of others (up to a point).

One of our guys used to get fresh oysters to grill (out side propane grilll) and poi from the Hawaiian market for lunch during the summer. It would freak the new people out for some reason. I enjoyed the reactions he got too.

Welders who don't chip their welds piss me off.
How much time does it take to knock the slag off a weld...Seconds!
In fact when the machine is dialed in the slag will lift right off the weld.

I'm a welding-concrete-masonry-high strength bolt inspector and from time to time I come across a guy who just can't seem to remember to chip his welds.
I'll mention it nicely first...Then I let him know AWS code says you gotta chip yer welds...Then I get real picky...Then I just reject all the unchipped welds and write a non-conformance report. I don't like writing an NC

I really am a nice guy but when I see unchipped welds I know that the welder doesn't know the quality of his work because he never looked at it. He wants to blow and go and have me clean up his mess...It ain't happening

One of our guys used to get fresh oysters to grill (out side propane grilll) and poi from the Hawaiian market for lunch during the summer. It would freak the new people out for some reason. I enjoyed the reactions he got too.

We had a pigeon problem in a shipyard fab shop. Took care of problem with a BB gun. As soon as a pigeon hit the floor, one of the guys on temporary work visa would clean it, pop it in a little mini-oven. Fresh meat for lunch.

Welders who don't chip their welds piss me off.
How much time does it take to knock the slag off a weld...Seconds!
In fact when the machine is dialed in the slag will lift right off the weld.

I'm a welding-concrete-masonry-high strength bolt inspector and from time to time I come across a guy who just can't seem to remember to chip his welds.
I'll mention it nicely first...Then I let him know AWS code says you gotta chip yer welds...Then I get real picky...Then I just reject all the unchipped welds and write a non-conformance report. I don't like writing an NC

I really am a nice guy but when I see unchipped welds I know that the welder doesn't know the quality of his work because he never looked at it. He wants to blow and go and have me clean up his mess...It ain't happening

Submersion welding? I can't think anybody does stick unless they have to for a repair etc. I was QA at the end of my welding career, huge air handlers, the wheels and scrolls had to bexplain smooth enough to not snag a cotton glove. I hear your frustration.

Submersion welding? I can't think anybody does stick unless they have to for a repair etc. I was QA at the end of my welding career, huge air handlers, the wheels and scrolls had to bexplain smooth enough to not snag a cotton glove. I hear your frustration.

Stick welding will never be completely replaced, especially in the field. If you need a quality weld it still beats mig and flux core. And it's quicker and simpler than tig.

It's not an accent or dialect. I've got the accent where people think I say bagel wrong. When I say I don't hear it, they start saying, "bagel, bagel, bagel, bagel, bagel, bagel.. hear the difference?". Exxpecially and libary coming out of an educated person is just shameful.

A friend of mine says " that's got a deazzal engine in it" instead of diesel. Drives me crazy.

It's not an accent or dialect. Exxpecially and libary coming out of an educated person is just shameful.

This. But I would even go so far as to remove the 'educated' part. If your parents can't teach you to say things properly, and someone has said something about it just one time in your life, then you need to speak it properly.
Mom says 'warsh' Mom, seriously, spell that for me. Where in the hell do you see an R in there????

It's not an accent or dialect. I've got the accent where people think I say bagel wrong. When I say I don't hear it, they start saying, "bagel, bagel, bagel, bagel, bagel, bagel.. hear the difference?". Exxpecially and libary coming out of an educated person is just shameful.

*groan* growing up in VT, then moving to the South I get $h!t for that all the time. Just stopped eating them

But this is coming from middle of nowhere KY hicks. I'll sometimes blankly stare at them when they finish a sentence and am like "were those words or did you just have a stroke?"

*groan* growing up in VT, then moving to the South I get $h!t for that all the time. Just stopped eating them

But this is coming from middle of nowhere KY hicks. I'll sometimes blankly stare at them when they finish a sentence and am like "were those words or did you just have a stroke?"

Lol! You should hear my Texas accent. I can't go anywhere without someone saying " Where are you from."

We need to do this in audio video so we can hear who has a right to talk.

This. But I would even go so far as to remove the 'educated' part. If your parents can't teach you to say things properly, and someone has said something about it just one time in your life, then you need to speak it properly.
Mom says 'warsh' Mom, seriously, spell that for me. Where in the hell do you see an R in there????

Wrench dat out in da zinc an den go take a bat.

So, how do you say "bagel"?

Back