Things about your co-workers that annoy you

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"I'm overqualified for this job"

I hear that about ten times a day. You knew what your job was when you accepted it, theres the door.

I work in it and this one person complained about disappearing emails. I told it it was normal, whereupon she said "where we ever told about this? We need to be told about this. Why isn't someone telling us about this, we nee to know" so I copy pasted the line out of the training doc that I personally gave her on day one with her laptop. Told her it was in the document she was given on day one. It's under the email section where it reads " Important: disappearing email information" arg

Wait a minute. It's normal to have disappearing email? So normal there's a policy about it? It can happen, sure. Email is not the best place to store important information, but there shouldn't be regularly disappearing email.

It's an email management process. Anything in re inbox for more than 90 days gets moved to the same folder structure within a folder called old inbox items. It lives there for a year before being deleted. Prevents email bloat on the servers. No one ever deletes anything unless they have to

It's an email management process. Anything in re inbox for more than 90 days gets moved to the same folder structure within a folder called old inbox items. It lives there for a year before being deleted. Prevents email bloat on the servers. No one ever deletes anything unless they have to

For other companies it is a process for limiting their liability. Not that they are hiding thing but the management of "All email not archived in accordance with company policy are automatically deleted after 90-days unless notice of pending investigation is made by..." Again, it is not an Enron document destruction thing as employs are also instructed to properly archive and email that could be used in current or future claim.

I used to say I never delete emails. Then my supervisor and I started venting to each other about coworkers, and some of those emails got deleted because they didn't need to be sitting on a company computer (I knew for a fact that it wasn't being monitored, because the IT guy sat right next to me, and I was his substitute when he was on vacation). Then we merged, and the more severe rants (anything with something that could be used against us) went to text messages, because we knew that the new IT manager WAS monitoring emails (although to what extent, we still don't know, if it's just keyword monitoring, or if they only monitor specific employees... i.e. a young engineer that they were unhappy with job performance, but needed something 'extra' to justify letting him go). And, the merged company now sends out a notice to the entire company on your birthday. Yeah, those get deleted.

Pre-merger, we were on a POP server, with all mail being downloaded to the local machine. We'd upgrade computers every 3 years, so when I came due for an upgrade, I'd burn my entire .pst file onto a DVD and keep it in my desk. After a "burp" one year that caused me to lose a 2-year window of email, I now make it a point in mid- to late spring to archive the entire previous years' emails into a separate .pst file, and burn that to DVD. We've since moved to an exchange server, and we're limited to 2 GB of email storage, so that helps to keep my allotment free. Plus, when my boss comes back with "Hey, remember the lagoon expansion project we did back in 2005? Why didn't we expand further to the east?" I can go back to emails and find an answer.

Somebody **** in a chair, and instead of going to the bathroom they continued ****ting all the way down the hallway, past the washroom and into an elevator where they stopping fighting it.
Are these are our future doctors.......

Somebody **** in a chair, and instead of going to the bathroom they continued ****ting all the way down the hallway, past the washroom and into an elevator where they stopping fighting it.
Are these are our future doctors.......

Thank God that never happens in 'Merica!

Well, at least you have a chance of finding out who it was. I mean, people tend to use the same desk/chairs. Not to mention if theres security cameras it would be kinda easy to find out who leaves a trail.

That is just disgusting though.

Everyone stop what you're doing please.

Our electrical engineer lost his coffee. This is an urgent matter that must be addressed immediately.

Our electrical engineer lost his coffee. This is an urgent matter that must be addressed immediately.

I lost my wedding ring at work... put it on the counter of the bathroom while I was washing my hands and left it there. When I went back to get it, it was gone.

After asking every guy up here - including one of the owners - if they had seen it, I went home and found it on my dresser.

Yeah...

I lost my wedding ring at work... put it on the counter of the bathroom while I was washing my hands and left it there. When I went back to get it, it was gone.

After asking every guy up here - including one of the owners - if they had seen it, I went home and found it on my dresser.

Yeah...

Wow. Who do you think ended up taking it? Not to mention, how did they get into your house to put it back on your dresser? That's creepy man.

My annoying, know it all, misogynist, xenophobic coworker called in sick today.

So it is a working holiday!

Ah. Well that's different.

You're dam right it is! Coffee is serious business. I've gotten two promotions based on my coffee making and coffee foraging ability.

Wow. Who do you think ended up taking it? Not to mention, how did they get into your house to put it back on your dresser? That's creepy man.

Maybe his wife works with him. That still leaves one burning question though...

One of my coworkers always wants to send out company-wide mass-emails for every trivial issue. And then complains that nobody ever reads or responds to her emails. Duh, they've learned to tune out out because you waste everyone's time.

Latest one:

We found out that our company's health insurance plan is no longer being accepted at one of the hospitals in NB due to a contract renewal dispute. (Not a big deal, there's another hospital and several clinics to choose from). Naturally, she wanted to send out a mass-email to everyone in the company warning them to avoid this particular hospital.

We have operations in five different cities, and this only (kind of) affects employees living in one of those. I pointed out that it was highly unnecessary to spam the inboxes of employees living in those 4 other cities.

Her response: "Well, the company that owns this hospital also has eighteen other hospitals around the state, so this affects everybody."

Me: "Okay, Texas is a big state... so where are those other hospitals located?"

Her: "Corpus Christi, Beaumont, Houston, and Dallas."

Me: "We don't have any operations anywhere near any of those cities....." :drunk:

One of my coworkers always wants to send out company-wide mass-emails for every trivial issue. And then complains that nobody ever reads or responds to her emails. Duh, they've learned to tune out out because you waste everyone's time.

I have the same thing, but he doesnt email, just blurts out trivial info from his desk. When that doesnt work he walks the length of the office spouting such gems as: the stock market update, things celebrity's have said on facebook, pick up lines from 30 years ago, the same story he told you last week, specific program facts that have nothing to do with you, etc....
Anyway---
My supervisor and coworker (mentioned above) do not get along, at all.
My coworker despises her because she is a women and in position of authority over him. The bickering back and forth is quite constant, and usually in a professional manner.
first thing this morning we get an email stating "I have accepted a new job at the (Redacted) and will start in two weeks. I wanted you to be the first to know. It has been an honor and a pleasure to work with you both."

I knew right away it was an april fools joke. If she were to leave she would not have included that last line.
he spent an hour fussing, pulling his hair out and going into full panic mode. "how dare she leave", "who does she think she is". He then emailed people about the office implosion that would not happen.

when he found out it was a joke, he shrugged it off with a "you got me", and proceeded to walk around the office telling everyone!

I am NOT a believer in "there are no stupid questions." More like "there are no stupid questions that I wouldnt be willing to forgive you for". And not even that, lets be honest.

Same coworker:

"What's wrong with this expense report?"
"I'm going to have to ask you to be more specific" (Joking tone, I'm not annoyed... yet)
"It keeps telling me my expenses do not match up to the charges on the card"
"Ok... did your declaired expense go over or below what was on the card"
*silence*
"I dont know"
(Im getting annoyed now) "Lets take a step back, is this a meal? a hotel?"
"Hotel"
"Ok is the number up top red"
"I dont know..."
"Oh come come now... you can tell if a number is in red..."
"Oh wait yeah it is"
"Ok... that means for whatever reason you asked the system for more money than the credit card was actually charged."
*She turns to me... blank face*
"Ok..."
"What's the number in red?"
*no lie*
"7,534.83"

I am NOT a believer in "there are no stupid questions." More like "there are no stupid questions that I wouldnt be willing to forgive you for". And not even that, lets be honest.

Same coworker:

"What's wrong with this expense report?"
"I'm going to have to ask you to be more specific" (Joking tone, I'm not annoyed... yet)
"It keeps telling me my expenses do not match up to the charges on the card"
"Ok... did your declaired expense go over or below what was on the card"
*silence*
"I dont know"
(Im getting annoyed now) "Lets take a step back, is this a meal? a hotel?"
"Hotel"
"Ok is the number up top red"
"I dont know..."
"Oh come come now... you can tell if a number is in red..."
"Oh wait yeah it is"
"Ok... that means for whatever reason you asked the system for more money than the credit card was actually charged."
*She turns to me... blank face*
"Ok..."
"What's the number in red?"
*no lie*
"7,534.83"

Go big or go home!

She put $7k+ in TAX on a $1k stay (I think it was a full week). She put the tax for the ENTIRE stay down as nightly taxes, so they all multiplied by 5. This is an easy enough, and human enough, mistake to make, but I know for a fact she wouldnt have noticed this and would have submitted the report had the system allowed her to. Of the four reports she has been "working on" each has been returned to her at least 4 times by accounting. I guarantee she still doesnt understand what she did wrong or how to do it right next time.

I got so frustrated the other day with her asking the most obvious questions over and over (bear in mind that this woman has been on the job for at least 30 years, we arent talking a trainee) "what does that mean?" "say it again but slowly" "why is this SO HARD?!" when she couldnt account for 700 Indian Rupees on her report I told her she would have to go line by line, using a highlighter. She still couldnt find it.

She's such a nice lady, it makes me feel awful to get so annoyed by her. But I swear, if I were her manager and I was travelling I would pay cash for everything... and I would kiss it goodbye as I spent it.

We have this butt hole on night shift that made a few pretty welds and is now bragging to folks outside of work. Saying he's the best welder in our shop. I made him a trophy. 6013 rod too hot and too cold in negative polarity.

IMG_20150403_055702964.jpg

IMG_20150403_055715436.jpg

Well, my day job first announced they were putting GPS units in all (my) company car. I knew what it meant the moment I saw it. They've been investigated and charged by Department of Labor for not paying us overtime, and ruled against, but DoL wasn't going to pursue in court. Then a class action lawsuit started shortly after the DoL ruling. So I knew they knew they were going to lose the lawsuit, and were going to switch us all to hourly to prevent future damages.

Sure enough, they then announce that they're not only switching us to hourly, but making us all take a 10% pay cut to cover the overtime that they're now going to have to pay us.

So yeah. On full weeks I now make 10% less. With overtime I'll probably make a little less than I am now. If they don't have enough work, I make even less than that. Goes into effect May 1st. I have no intention of being employed where I am no by then.

And the brewing job I've all but abandoned because they apparently have no intention of ever actually giving me a job despite being on the payroll for 6 months.

So I'm looking elsewhere for brewing work.

And ready to burn the world down.

Billy-Klubb- that's awesome!
Qhrumph- that sucks.

Boss was telling me today how bored he is while I'm trying to do a billion things at once. If you have free time, don't complain about it when I'm busy.

We have this butt hole on night shift that made a few pretty welds and is now bragging to folks outside of work. Saying he's the best welder in our shop. I made him a trophy. 6013 rod too hot and too cold in negative polarity.

Wow that looks exactly like our shop. Nice trophy.

Well, my day job first announced they were putting GPS units in all (my) company car. I knew what it meant the moment I saw it. They've been investigated and charged by Department of Labor for not paying us overtime, and ruled against, but DoL wasn't going to pursue in court. Then a class action lawsuit started shortly after the DoL ruling. So I knew they knew they were going to lose the lawsuit, and were going to switch us all to hourly to prevent future damages.

Sure enough, they then announce that they're not only switching us to hourly, but making us all take a 10% pay cut to cover the overtime that they're now going to have to pay us.

So yeah. On full weeks I now make 10% less. With overtime I'll probably make a little less than I am now. If they don't have enough work, I make even less than that. Goes into effect May 1st. I have no intention of being employed where I am no by then.

And the brewing job I've all but abandoned because they apparently have no intention of ever actually giving me a job despite being on the payroll for 6 months.

I've got some matches...

Last edited by a moderator:

I'm happy to buy you a beer or two. We will commiserate, and then, who knows, maybe I can help you find a job that will treat you right. F them. That is not cool

I think Old Ox might still be looking for a brewer. if you don't mind schlepping out here to LoCo from Arlington

I think Old Ox might still be looking for a brewer. if you don't mind schlepping out here to LoCo from Arlington

Yep. I saw the job posted on Pro Brewer, and had planned on sending a resume over. Commuting to Ashburn isn't ideal, but I could do it. I drive more than that daily anyway. Probably hit Right Proper too since I know they're hiring too (although I'm probably underqualified for the RP job). A pro brewer friend has been looking over my resume, but I'll probably send it out in the next day or two anyway.

I've heard rumors of Westover Market opening a Biergarten/brewpub in Clarendon (ie the next neighborhood over from me), but all news articles from a year ago with no further information. I'm going to keep digging there too. I'm guessing the operation folded but walking to a brewing job would be awesome.

As a welder myself I noticed early on that there is almost an inverse correlation between the cockiness of a welder and his welding skill.

I'd have stuck a rod on a piece of plate steel (rusty of course) at a slight angle for a trophy, maybe with about an inch of bead...
"Bestest evar!" :D
Regards, GF.

Email conversation between me and my boss this morning.

Boss: I want to get together tomorrow and discuss A & B.
Me: Ok
Boss: Lets set a time.
Me: I'm available all day long.
Boss: Ok, then set a time we can meet.
Me: 10:00am
Boss: Probably not good for me, I have a meeting at 10:30

WTF.

Email conversation between me and my boss this morning.

Boss: I want to get together tomorrow and discuss A & B.
Me: Ok
Boss: Lets set a time.
Me: I'm available all day long.
Boss: Ok, then set a time we can meet.
Me: 10:00am
Boss: Probably not good for me, I have a meeting at 10:30

WTF.

I'm thinking of a number between 8 and 5...

2 coworkers arguing over the potential raise to fast food workers. (for the record both are dingbats)

1 curmudgeon had an answer for the others comments....
"cant live on $8 an hour, go to school and get a better job"
"cant afford rent on $8 an hour, get a room mate"
"cant afford a baby sitter on $8 an hour, dont have kids".
"cant live on $8 an hour stop being lazy and go find a better job"

Forget the fact that he spent all morning complaining about 2 things:
1-there are no good jobs out there
2- he should be given a raise, (forget that he does as little as possible)

I asked him how to spell Hypocrisy, then said never mind and went back to typing an email!
no one seemed to get it!

Latest posts

Back