Things about your co-workers that annoy you

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was wondering when this would wake back up... there has been a new standard of occurrences in our workplace as of late. A handful of engineers decided to start taking credit for drawings that I have done, when the chief engineer starts handing out thanks. The kicker however, is I am the one that does the drawings. All of them. The one thing that truly makes my blood pressure go up. It might be time to start looking for work elsewhere.

We have all or most of us seen Sinfeld Correct. Remember the episode where George always looks so busy and frustrated when his boss walks by but he really is doing nothing? This is my counter part. We are team leads and both have the same job. I can get mine done with no hesitation or frustration at all. He huffs and puffs around the office all week like he never has time to do anything. This really erks my Tater!!!

My coworkers (we have same job and tasks) does only what he has to, but riffing on Seinfeld, he always looks busy. As a matter of fact that is the only tv show he has watched over the last 40 years. he openly quotes the show "Hey Pyg, remember when George did blah, blah, blah".....
The other trick he does is that every task he handles is an "issue", while every problem I deal with is "easy".
The best was when he went to one of the young, blonde coworkers and said "remember in Seinfeld.....", she responded with "I was 5"!!!!

I have a coworker who always has a knee-jerk reaction to any problem posed to him. Instantly he assumes that you have not done a single thing to diagnose further than "It doesnt work" even if you have included such information of what you have tried and what happened/didnt. Then when he finally realized that it was actually a problem sends some 'information' that is not even helpful. Then when you try and clarify he gets combatative and acts like someone kicked his kitten and took his lollipop.

My coworker will ask you a question and when you respond he replies with "exactly!".
Which begs the question, if he knew the answer, why did he ask. Otherwise we can assume he did not know the answer and is just trying to feel good about his knowledge.

I was wondering when this would wake back up... there has been a new standard of occurrences in our workplace as of late. A handful of engineers decided to start taking credit for drawings that I have done, when the chief engineer starts handing out thanks. The kicker however, is I am the one that does the drawings. All of them. The one thing that truly makes my blood pressure go up. It might be time to start looking for work elsewhere.

Would putting a water mark with your name in what you create cause any problems?

Seems like every time this thread comes up my boss has called in "sick". I don't let it bother me too much though because I get my work done and then spend a lot of time on the internet. What does bug me about it though is that when I first started working here back in July he came to me and asked how we could fix the problem with attendance, not his mind you, but the guys in the plant who call off once every couple months. Meanwhile my boss has a hard time putting in 40 hrs. a week. He's only 37 and lives less than 1/2 mile away. Like c'mon chump, get your butt in here and do some work.

Or start screwing up and let them take credit for that.

It bothers me when the code/cad monkeys act like they did something creative when all they did is illustrate my idea. I led the team. I co-ordinated everything. I made sure the project got done...

Just Kidding,
Nothing bothers me more than those guys who don't recognize their team's efforts. I make sure to go back to those team members to give them recognition personally as much as possible.

I've often wondered how similar our jobs are, but with comments you've made here, I'm guessing you work for a larger firm than I do, and possibly in a different sector (mechanical?)

I work for a civil engineering firm - and of the 3 engineers and 2 EI's I work with, only one of them tries to pull the trick you mention. Case in point, a large part of our clientele is poultry confinement operations. They all operate under STRICT biosecurity measures - you cannot set foot on one site if you've been on the property of any other poultry facility within the previous 24 hours. This summer, my senior engineer was out for a day, but told us to set up survey work on a turkey farm and an egg farm on the same day. I had to get the survey files ready, so when I walked in the door, I had another engineer and the survey tech waiting for me. They told me the plan for the day, and I looked at them like they had lost their marbles... told 'em "There's no way we can do this, Tim can't go to two bird farms on the same day."

Of course, the engineer goes back to his office, and I overhear him calling our senior engineer... "Hey, I was just thinking - we can't send Tim to both of these sites today, he's got to meet the biosecurity wait times"

Anymore, I will go out of my way to bypass him and make sure that the higher-ups know the idea is coming from me - going as far as to keep him out of the loop until I've already brought the seniors up to speed.

I've often wondered how similar our jobs are, but with comments you've made here, I'm guessing you work for a larger firm than I do, and possibly in a different sector (mechanical?)

I work for a civil engineering firm - and of the 3 engineers and 2 EI's I work with, only one of them tries to pull the trick you mention. Case in point, a large part of our clientele is poultry confinement operations. They all operate under STRICT biosecurity measures - you cannot set foot on one site if you've been on the property of any other poultry facility within the previous 24 hours. This summer, my senior engineer was out for a day, but told us to set up survey work on a turkey farm and an egg farm on the same day. I had to get the survey files ready, so when I walked in the door, I had another engineer and the survey tech waiting for me. They told me the plan for the day, and I looked at them like they had lost their marbles... told 'em "There's no way we can do this, Tim can't go to two bird farms on the same day."

Of course, the engineer goes back to his office, and I overhear him calling our senior engineer... "Hey, I was just thinking - we can't send Tim to both of these sites today, he's got to meet the biosecurity wait times"

Anymore, I will go out of my way to bypass him and make sure that the higher-ups know the idea is coming from me - going as far as to keep him out of the loop until I've already brought the seniors up to speed.

I dealt with that in WY when I was pipe welding/pump building. we'd run into a design flaw or some other problem (we didn't have engineers) and 1 of 2 guys would run into the office claiming they figured it out once the problem got solved on the floor when they had nothing to do with the solution. there were a few of us that were very vocal in front of the wigs and would set them straight. I can't stand watching people take credit for someone elses' work. we had one builder that fixed a vibration issue and another guy ran into the office taking credit in front of the floor manager and the owner. I was in the office filling out paper work. when I heard that stream of lies I yelled, "The flocc you did! Nick fixed that problem while you were BSing."

Yeah that is exactly what happens. I work in aerospace but its the same occurrence. I was asked to draw a part for Orion that just launched on the 5th, I believe it was, and my boss said it was quite urgent and they wanted it done that day. Excited to have a worthwhile project I knocked that piece out in ~1 hour and gave it to him. Immediately after, he took it to the chief engineer and the praise showered down upon him as he claimed to do it so fast because it was so important. Nobody is being intentionally malicious, they just are too ignorant to shift the credit where it is due. It happens almost daily. A few people who are aware of it often say that I need to stop being so quiet, speak up and be known... I get the amount of work done that I do, because I don't stand around and complain about my bills and kids.

And yeah @Billy-Klubb it would be nice to have someone around here stick up for me being the new guy getting shift done. The machine shop are the only people that give a damn. They always come up and ask me why there are no longer errors, almost in disbelief. I guess the previous person in my position was a nightmare. Oh well, maybe I'll go back to slinging steaks on a grill. I made just as much and was often drunk while I worked.

Yeah that is exactly what happens. I work in aerospace but its the same occurrence. I was asked to draw a part for Orion that just launched on the 5th, I believe it was, and my boss said it was quite urgent and they wanted it done that day. Excited to have a worthwhile project I knocked that piece out in ~1 hour and gave it to him. Immediately after, he took it to the chief engineer and the praise showered down upon him as he claimed to do it so fast because it was so important. Nobody is being intentionally malicious, they just are too ignorant to shift the credit where it is due. It happens almost daily. A few people who are aware of it often say that I need to stop being so quiet, speak up and be known... I get the amount of work done that I do, because I don't stand around and complain about my bills and kids.

And yeah @Billy-Klubb it would be nice to have someone around here stick up for me being the new guy getting shift done. The machine shop are the only people that give a damn. They always come up and ask me why there are no longer errors, almost in disbelief. I guess the previous person in my position was a nightmare. Oh well, maybe I'll go back to slinging steaks on a grill. I made just as much and was often drunk while I worked.
That's one thing I'm very thankful for; the engineer I do 80% of my work with is VERY good about passing down the credit - even going so far as to tell the higher-ups "If you're giving me an extra performance bonus for the work we did this year, you damn well better give the guys underneath me something, too, because THEY make it happen." (The times that they have not done that, and only given him a bonus, he's made sure to take the rest of 'his guys' out for supper or a night at the bar)

That's awesome. I have a good friend who I got a job with me when I worked for a GC as an corporate accountant and he would have the project managers share their bonuses with him for getting jobs paid out on time.

Not exactly a work situation, it's related to our Pheasants Forever chapter. I'd been the president for the previous 8 years, but last year I stepped down as president to assume the role of treasurer (I was burnt out on the pres, and our treasurer was screwing things up BIG TIME). The new president - who I personally selected because he seemed like he'd be the best choice - had apparently not been paying attention the previous 3 years he was on the board - he had no idea how to run the banquet, would ask for advice and then tell me why my advice was wrong (BIIIIIIG PET PEEVE OF MINE.) I've since learned to work "with" him , and things are getting better, he's starting to realize that MAYBE I know what I'm doing...

So, fast forward to last week. He's going to be attending a conference in January that the chapter is paying for, and he also ordered about $1,400 worth of stuff for our banquet. All fine and good, there were multiple times during my time as president I had $2,000 worth of chapter related expenses on my credit card. Except he insists on getting a check for the balance IMMEDIATELY. Placed the order last Thursday, and asked if he could stop by Saturday to pick up a check. Friday evening, he texts me and says "I've got a lot of stuff going on, I'll plan on stopping by your place around 8 Saturday". WTF??? Did you think to ask if this was okay? 10, I'd have no problem with... 8 AM on a Saturday? A man's ONE chance to sleep in a bit???? So I make sure to set my alarm, but I'm still running a little late, so I text him and say it'll be closer to 8:45 before I'm ready... his response? "Something came up, I'm not going to make it".

GRRRRR.

So Tuesday rolls around, and he emails me to ask if I could leave the check in my mailbox, and he'd pick it up Wednesday when he was in town. Except... I didn't get home from work Monday night until almost 9 PM. Tuesday was almost 8 PM. Taking the time to dig out the chapter checkbook and write him a check - for an expense that isn't going to hit his mailbox for another *month* was NOT very high on my priority list. To the point it didn't even cross my mind. By the time I got to work yesterday, I had a missed call, voicemail, and two emails from him. Emailed him back, explained that I had spent a cumulative four hours home and awake since Sunday, and hadn't had time to get a check written. Explained that Wed night was going to be *another* late night, and that I wouldn't make any promises about getting it ready for him for today.

.....So this morning I wake up a text message from him, sent at 6:50, saying "I'm going to get an early start, I'll stop by your place to pick up the check." WHAT PART OF "GOING TO BE A LATE NIGHT, PROBABLY WON'T GET IT DONE" DID YOU NOT UNDERSTAND, A-HOLE???? In my not-quite awake state, I texted back and told him to meet me at my office at 7:30, no sooner.

7:15 my freaking DOORBELL RINGS. I was VERY tempted to answer the door dripping wet and stark freaking naked, as I was in the shower - and frankly, at this point, he DESERVED to be greeted by my overweight, pasty-white, hairy, and shimmering wet carcass. The moron rings the doorbell 2-3 times, and finally gets the picture and leaves. Sure enough, he's sitting in the parking lot of the office when I pull in. I have no idea if he picked up on the anger in my voice when he greeted me as I unlocked the door, but in order to keep from tearing him a new one right on the spot, I kept conversation short, thinking, "At least I'm done with this fool for a couple weeks"

Not 30 min later, I get a phone call from him. Seems I picked the wrong set of numbers out of the mess of an email he had sent me, and one of the two checks got written for an extra $250. This @$$hole actually thought I was going to delay my work day (which was already looking to be long, as I had a 1.5 hour drive just to get TO the jobsite) to wait for him to get done with his clients and return to my office so I could write a new check.

Told him to just cash the check as it was, and deposit the extra money back into the chapter account at the next meeting. Next time he "offers" to take care of ordering something, I'm going to tell him to go f himself.

The idiot who asks someone for an explanation, "Please explain this, I don't understand..." then CONSTANTLY interrupts the explanation. Still not understanding, of course, goes to the next person and asks the same question. Eventually working his/her way around to someone of authority, ONLY THEN, keeps mouth shut long enough to actually LISTEN to the exact same explanation.

Where are my headphones?:mad:

Oh boy. So glad I found this thread.

I have a staff of 3 under me, currently, with the 4th out on medical leave until March-April. This time last year I had 2. I oversee janitorial and maintenance for approx . 500,000 sq. ft. of office and warehouse, with about 160-170 employees at any given time. There are 12 restrooms, only 4 of them are attached to offices.

I have stories that would make you shiver.

The kid in the office next to me that is five years younger, does zero work, has been caught sleeping multiple times and is generally unable to socialize without coming off as cocky... It annoys me when he brags about his salary to me, when nobody else is around of course, knowing that I make less because he has an aerospace eng. degree.

/wrist

Tell "rocket man" to shove it.
And play Elton John's song on full blast every time he falls asleep. Maybe he'll get his well deserved attention. :D

The kid in the office next to me that is five years younger, does zero work, has been caught sleeping multiple times and is generally unable to socialize without coming off as cocky... It annoys me when he brags about his salary to me, when nobody else is around of course, knowing that I make less because he has an aerospace eng. degree.

/wrist

Sounds like it's time for one of these:
http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/b278/
Regards, GF.

Hmmmmmm......what annoys me about my co-workers???? The lack of them, as opposed to those I work with. I'm a night-shift nurse, 19:00 to 07:00 (if things go well), at the local hospital, and it's staffed to the bare minimum (at all times but is worse at night)....everyone is stressed out, everyone is miserable, but we all know that the grass isn't greener on the other side, as it's just a modern reality for health care workers anymore. Patients expect to be treated like they're at a 5 star resort, management calls them "customers" and are all about improving customer satisfaction scores....wtf, if we had enough staff, we'd have happier patients....we're dancing as fast as we can, but it's never enough....f' it, I need to find a new line of work.
As far as my coworkers, we're all to busy to annoy one another....arsehole patients (and there are a LOT of 'em) can be annoying enough for 12 hrs straight, 3 nights in a row.....just sayin' ;)

I got one....This guy spends more time getting out of working than just doing work. He's good at selling that he's busy, but never actually is. He's friends with the big wig who is not here very much, so that gives him a free pass, which he makes sure everyone knows. He goes to lunch everyday and buys liquor. He comes back from lunch drunk and there's nothing done about it. Last year he missed about 50 days of work. He latches on to someone who will cover for him until he wears his welcome out, the. Moves onto to someone else. He looks to take advantage of everyone, and most aren't even aware he's doing it. He also blatantly buys anyone's pain pills that doesn't want them, and jokes about being messed up all the time. So how does a guy drive drunk every single day, take pain pills every day, and has not one single bad thing happen to him? I feel like I'm struggling to stay afloat by doing the right thing, and he gets by looking like a rose all the time??
Rant is over

I got one....This guy spends more time getting out of working than just doing work. He's good at selling that he's busy, but never actually is. He's friends with the big wig who is not here very much, so that gives him a free pass, which he makes sure everyone knows. He goes to lunch everyday and buys liquor. He comes back from lunch drunk and there's nothing done about it. Last year he missed about 50 days of work. He latches on to someone who will cover for him until he wears his welcome out, the. Moves onto to someone else. He looks to take advantage of everyone, and most aren't even aware he's doing it. He also blatantly buys anyone's pain pills that doesn't want them, and jokes about being messed up all the time. So how does a guy drive drunk every single day, take pain pills every day, and has not one single bad thing happen to him? I feel like I'm struggling to stay afloat by doing the right thing, and he gets by looking like a rose all the time??
Rant is over
I think we work at the same place...

My coworker drinks and abuses pain drugs daily (this is clearly a common problem). Mention that a little legal marijuana may do him some good instead of all the toxic flocc he pours in his body and he looses it.

"I would never use shi!t. I'm not some drug-addicted loser that sits at home all day."

...wait, what? You are, and we wish you would sit at home all day!

Me: "We'll need that permit ready by the 31st."

Coworker: "January or February?"

:drunk:

Similar to when I'm working (trucker) and they send me a text "Let me know when you're about to be leaving Town X." As soon as capable to reply "I'll be leaving in about 2 hours ago..."

Syntax error intentional.

My coworker drinks and abuses pain drugs daily (this is clearly a common problem). Mention that a little legal marijuana may do him some good instead of all the toxic flocc he pours in his body and he looses it.

"I would never use shi!t. I'm not some drug-addicted loser that sits at home all day."

...wait, what? You are, and we wish you would sit at home all day!

God forbid someone uses a ****ing plant. All the chemically manufactured **** the fda approves is fine though.

This fat ass girl I work with who thinks she is a fitness freak, whom eats horrible **** ever hour on the hour, has the audacity to call me lazy...She has no idea what I do... Please go back to your Shawn T videos that dont work

my boss, again. he changes day shift hours from 5-4. he bumps our hours up to 45 (finally), but expects everyone to get their hours in by Thursday. we can take a 10 minute lunch, but most still take 1/2 hour. then he calls us all lazy because 10.5x4=42, but praises night crew for getting less done between the hours of 4pm and 4:30am.

my boss, again. he changes day shift hours from 5-4. he bumps our hours up to 45 (finally), but expects everyone to get their hours in by Thursday. we can take a 10 minute lunch, but most still take 1/2 hour. then he calls us all lazy because 10.5x4=42, but praises night crew for getting less done between the hours of 4pm and 4:30am.

Under Minnesota law, employees working 8 hours or more are allowed an unpaid 30-minute meal break.

Walmart was always on top of lunches and breaks because they had the biggest target on their back since they employ so many people. I work 12 hr swing now and have no unpaid lunch or scheduled break. Usually it works out better for me. Usually sit on my ass playing on my phone for a good 10 of the 12 hours.

Under Minnesota law, employees working 8 hours or more are allowed an unpaid 30-minute meal break.

I think most, if not all states have a similar law. My dept. doesn't take an actual "lunch break," we eat of course, but we eat as time allows so we can get the hell out of here when our 8 hrs are up.
Regards, GF.

most of us just take a 10-15 minute lunch break to get our hours in sooner. we can take an hour lunch every day if we want as long as we get our hours in for the week.

A lot of employees choose to do something like that. The law only requires employers to allow for a 30 minute break. It doesn't require that the employee actually take it.

A lot of employees choose to do something like that. The law only requires employers to allow for a 30 minute break. It doesn't require that the employee actually take it.

In California, it's basically required that the employee take it. I'm not sure if it's *explicitly* required in the law, but if employees don't take it, and then quit or are fired, they can pretty easily sue and say that their boss prevented them from taking it (and probably win). So employers here will often explicitly police this to make sure that the employee is taking their lunch. I've heard of people being disciplined for *not* taking their lunch break.

That only applies to hourly employees, though.

In California, it's basically required that the employee take it. I'm not sure if it's *explicitly* required in the law, but if employees don't take it, and then quit or are fired, they can pretty easily sue and say that their boss prevented them from taking it (and probably win). So employers here will often explicitly police this to make sure that the employee is taking their lunch. I've heard of people being disciplined for *not* taking their lunch break.

That only applies to hourly employees, though.

I see that a lot here. Many employers of hourly workers will require that the employees take the half hour, just so that nobody can later claim that they were denied a meal break.

We are required to stop working at lunchtime as well. Reason being is that we are not on the clock at that time and if we get hurt then work comp. doesn't cover it.

I have one other guy on my team on second shift. He's constantly checking to see what I'm doing, in an effort to gauge how busy I am. If I don't look busy enough to him, he will invent some question or issue that requires my attention, so I can be busy enough to suit him.

Back