Things about your co-workers that annoy you

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Weirdly enough I have found that the center stall is the least likely to get the seat hosed down. The worst are the one closest to the door and the deluxe extra space with an Oh Sh! grunter bar (read handicapped stall).

Either you work down the hall from me or your finding is confirmed. Its the same way here. I hate to even walk by the first stall here.

A bunch of racist bastards. I'm white like them so I get treated good but I can't stand their racist stuff. Planning on quitting soon because of it.

The most annoying thing here is the loud people. I can't believe how loud they are. And of course being in Maryland they have no compassion for anyone else. They think it is perfectly normal to yell over the cube wall to someone two cubes away and have an entire conversation. No one else does this in the room. They don't get it and / or don't care about the others that are trying to work. I first brought in those squishy ear plug things as a joke, but they were kind of nice. I eventually bought Peltor digital hearing protectors. They are a little bulky but they block out even the most annoying Marylander and connect to a mp3 player so I have tunes playing quietly in the background. I look like an idiot but it is so nice to be productive and not listening to these loons yelling at their computer when they can't figure something about it out. We have office "managers" who won't do anything about it. The quotes around the word managers is like a picture (1000 words).

Last edited by a moderator:
A bunch of racist bastards. I'm white like them so I get treated good but I can't stand their racist stuff. Planning on quitting soon because of it.

I'll have to disagree with you. You may be white, but you're not "white like them".

As someone who grew up south of that Manson Dixon line I can tell you that there's nothing a white racist hates more than another white who doesn't share his views.

Don't make the mistake of thinking that you're safe around these people, they've got enough hate to spread around.

Here's my latest addition.

The meathead in the office that has that stupid bird tweet on his phone every time he gets an email or twitter message.

Yes, princess, you're very important and we all know that by how many emails you get per day. But I don't need to be notified every time some retard you know wants to share the fact that they've just belched the alphabet.

That's because it's against the rules to take the center stall in an empty bathroom. One should always try to maintain a one-stall gap, so the ends are the only logical place to start. From there it's a simple 1-0-1 sequence. If you take the center stall in an empty room, you're just ****ing up the whole system. And rest assured, if you do choose to take that stall, there WILL be someone who comes in next, and the whole time he WILL be thinking, "Who is this jackass who took the center stall and now I have to **** next to him!" Better hope it's not your boss, and he starts trying to recognize you by your boots.

This also applies to urinals.

Remember to teach this to your son(s). There are plenty of grown guys that violate it when there are 8 urinals open and only 2 in use (yes they head right for the one between the 2 guys so it is 3 in a row).

I'm an aircraft mechanic so mines a little different than most. But what pisses me off more than anything is I have a work lead that is a f1cking moron and can't perform basic tasks ( I work for the government so him getting a work lead position is to keep him from working on planes) he likes to stand over your shoulder and just watch you work for like 30 mins. All he wants is an update so he can run to supervision and tell them what's going on. The worst part is since he doesn't know what he's doing he often tells supervision the wrong thing because he doesn't grasp any of what I'm doing so then I have to have a dog and pony show with upper level management to explain what he screwed up telling them and the mofo gets paid more than me.

The fact that I get called for non emergencies when on call.
The fact thay I'm trying to fill a shift for when I'm on vacation, and noone will step up.
Boss is grumpy as hell lately and left me with a ton of stuff to do before I'm on vacation.
The fact that I'm on call while outta town and need to worry that someone will screw me over when I'm 8 hours away...

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Home Brew mobile app

I'm an aircraft mechanic so mines a little different than most. But what pisses me off more than anything is I have a work lead that is a f1cking moron and can't perform basic tasks ( I work for the government so him getting a work lead position is to keep him from working on planes) he likes to stand over your shoulder and just watch you work for like 30 mins. All he wants is an update so he can run to supervision and tell them what's going on. The worst part is since he doesn't know what he's doing he often tells supervision the wrong thing because he doesn't grasp any of what I'm doing so then I have to have a dog and pony show with upper level management to explain what he screwed up telling them and the mofo gets paid more than me.

I feel you there. I started my working life as an aircraft mechanic so I know how much the paper trail and chain of command weighs more than the aircraft you're working on. But believe me, it's the same way in the rest of the world. We all feel your pain. :mug:

Remember to teach this to your son(s). There are plenty of grown guys that violate it when there are 8 urinals open and only 2 in use (yes they head right for the one between the 2 guys so it is 3 in a row).

Man law.

Just like no matter how big the couch is, it is a two man couch. No exceptions. Loveseats are questionable; two men if they're both small in stature.

Back in college the guys on my floor had specific plans for seating arrangements at the dining hall based on how many of us were eating, allowing maximum space between all individuals. Arm room, y'know.

Man law.

Just like no matter how big the couch is, it is a two man couch. No exceptions. Loveseats are questionable; two men if they're both small in stature.

Back in college the guys on my floor had specific plans for seating arrangements at the dining hall based on how many of us were eating, allowing maximum space between all individuals. Arm room, y'know.

We used to do the same thing in movie theaters if it was just us guys. Every other seat. The place was rarely packed, so it didn't matter if we took up a few extra seats.

you will never get away from it. and racism isn't just some disease that affects only white folks, anyone could have it. go walk around Pine Ridge & tell me it ain't true. but if you feel more comfortable away from these particular folks (and I don't blame you one bit), find another job. just don't burn your bridge and don't move to Gillette.

I'll have to disagree with you. You may be white, but you're not "white like them".

As someone who grew up south of that Manson Dixon line I can tell you that there's nothing a white racist hates more than another white who doesn't share his views.

Don't make the mistake of thinking that you're safe around these people, they've got enough hate to spread around.

and this is the reason I have only 12 teeth.

This one hadn't happened in long enough it had become a non-issue... but it reared its ugly head again yesterday.

We've got a younger guy working for us - he started while he was still in college, working during the summers. Ended up changing his major and going to school an extra year and a half to get a degree related to what we do (when he started, it was just a summer job for him. He decided he wanted to make a career of it) Hard worker, everyone was impressed with him, he had no problem getting hired on full-time with us after graduation. Then we started noticing that frequently on Thursday mornings, he'd call in sick - either for the morning or the whole day, claiming back pain. But...it only seemed to be during the summer Wednesday night golf league season. And then that winter, it moved to Friday mornings...and Thursday night dart league. There would be days you could smell the booze leaking out of his pores. His boss was getting quite fed up with scheduling a 9:00 AM meeting on-site with a client for a survey, and Tim either calling in sick, or showing up smelling like booze, so he got a little talking-to about professional image and reliability. Things got better for quite a while - it had been probably a year since he pulled a no-show or had any other problems.

And then yesterday came. He walked through the door right at 8:00, so that wasn't a problem. And you couldn't really notice it at first, but his desk is next to mine, with a 4.5' partition wall between us. By 1:00, I could pick up a faint aroma, and by 3:00 I might as well have had a bar rag lying on my desk next to me.

Obviously, I'm not against having a couple here and there - or even tying one on pretty hard. But when you show up to work - in a professional office, where your job requires you to interact with clients almost daily - smelling like you slept at the bar...you've got a problem, and need to seek help. Fast.

We had an IT contractor show up smelling like an open bottle. He no longer shows up.

It's the running joke, in a 'we're joking about it to say we all know it and keep it under control' kind of way, that a few people are going out for a beer lunch. And that's fine. We all know one beer is generally not going to make a person blotto. And no one says anything, except, "Where's mine?", when there's bottles in the control room desk. They know I've given out some brews.

Point is, keep it cool and it's cool.

I've given up on most co-workers because of so many bad past experiences (I do a LOT of contracting). My parents raised me with an overactive, hyper-sensitive version of the "Protestant Work Ethic". I work hard and expect those that work with me to work just as hard...or work so much smarter than me that they do not have to work as hard (notice I did not say "be" smarter).

My wife has done an amazing job of tempering some of my harsher responses and age has brought some wisdom, but...

I have two rules for those that benefit from my work (I supply "solutions" to data problems for about 40 folks...or 320 if you look at the broader scope):

Monday, stay out of all the databases until I send an email that everything is updated.

I send out instructions for everything. I include a link to the location of all those instructions as the signature line in every email. I make sure all my emails are less than two paragraphs long.

At least twice a month 39 people, plus me, suffer because some half-wit opens the databases early or leaves them open all weekend (real IT folks won't let me lock them out). Instead of all updates being done by 7:00 AM, it is more like noon. FYI, it is never the new guy that makes the mistake.

At least once a week I get the "How do I..." phone call about something I sent instructions on in the last month...where I included the link to all instructions. I normally ask politely if they read the email I set on 12/18/2013 and if not would they like me to forward it. The response is what kills me.."No, I just file you instructions until I need them. I will never remember what is in the email anyway." That is why I created the folder with all instructions!

I hate people. Well, I hate most people and I am pretty sure the feeling is mutual.

We had an IT contractor show up smelling like an open bottle. He no longer shows up.

It's the running joke, in a 'we're joking about it to say we all know it and keep it under control' kind of way, that a few people are going out for a beer lunch. And that's fine. We all know one beer is generally not going to make a person blotto. And no one says anything, except, "Where's mine?", when there's bottles in the control room desk. They know I've given out some brews.

Point is, keep it cool and it's cool.
Exactly. Three years ago, a beer on company time was a definite no-no. But a few things have changed in the company, certain attitudes are more relaxed, and it's not uncommon once every month or two for one of the project managers to disappear around 3:00, show up a half hour later with a couple cases of Bud Lite, and pass 'em around the office. Actually, at the present time, there's 7 bottles of Leinekugel's (don't remember what exactly) in the break room fridge. Heck, our main office has a dedicated beer fridge back in the server closet. But you never overdo it.

We actually had a "homebrewer's pot luck" going-away event for a co-worker last year. All of the people who make beer or wine brought a few, and it was an awesome, memorable moment for the departing guy, and our remaining team.

The annoying/triggers-a-sense-of-dread-in-me factor with having a moderation-friendly work-place: there are only two circumstances in which Irish Cream and Coffee is served. They are:

1. Christmas Eve
2. BAD news is coming: Slashed budgets, co-worker announces a major illness, death in our extended work family, etc.

If it ain't December, and there's a bottle of Bailey's near the coffee machine - something's going down.

Irish cream and coffee, even when I'm on vacation, now triggers a weird sense of anxious anticipation I can't seem to shake.

Our IT director is just a little out-of-touch. We use an online timecard system, which gets software patches and updates about every other week it seems. Last week, we got an email that he was going to be doing some updates, and needed everyone to sign out of the system (most all of us leave the app running and logged in so we can update as we change projects through the day)

All fine and good, except he sent the email..and TWO MINUTES later sent another message saying the updates were done. Nothing like giving us time to react, huh? Oh, and the original "please sign out" email was sent at 5:15 PM. On FRIDAY. Yes, our company attitude is work hard, play hard, and guys are frequently in the office until 5:30-6:00...but not on weekends.

I have two problems at my job:

1. Mr. Toilet Paper- this guy takes a deuce and i swear must use an entire 12-pack of TP to finish the job. Ofcourse he doesnt flush either. So you walk into the stall face to face with a mountain of $hi++y soaking wet TP heaping out of the bowl. If you think im even gonna attempt to flush that youre crazy.

2. Mr. Over-analytical super eccentric wierdo- i call him "The Brain Surgeon". This guy is "seemingly" real smart guy, always has his head buried in either technical manuals or crazy philosophical books. I say "seemingly smart" because hes all book smarts, but he has zero social skills and zero logical competence. His hamster would get lost if the cheese was sitting in front of him. He takes any kind of typical mediocre thing and tries to analyze it down to the freaking molecule or likes to start oddball controversial debates with people but anything he says makes absolutely no freaking sense. His favorite line is "Why is there something rather than nothing?" The biggest issue is working with him. A normal 2 hour job takes him 10 hours because hes not only slow but he also tries to analyze and pick apart every little aspect of what hes doing. What the hell is wrong with your brain? Just get the job done and move on.

I work with a Dumb Ass. He does not know what he is doing, and since he was a cop, he has a power trip. This is the first job he has had for more than 5 years. usually gets fired after his first year, he told me that.

I love the emails that come from our It department. They throughly describe how they are having a network outage and email doesn't seem to be working. Of course nobody gets these until it's back up and you see the email notification that it's fixed.

There's one other email that bothers the hell out of me, it's the mass email. I don't care if someone has food at the front desk, they should know better. I don't care if there's palettes they are giving away. I don't care if they have some charity event going on and are guilt tripping everyone into some sort of participation. It's like WTF mate, don't email the whole company about your interests, and have ppl hit the "reply all" button.

I love the emails that come from our It department. They throughly describe how they are having a network outage and email doesn't seem to be working. Of course nobody gets these until it's back up and you see the email notification that it's fixed.

There's one other email that bothers the hell out of me, it's the mass email. I don't care if someone has food at the front desk, they should know better. I don't care if there's palettes they are giving away. I don't care if they have some charity event going on and are guilt tripping everyone into some sort of participation. It's like WTF mate, don't email the whole company about your interests, and have ppl hit the "reply all" button.

The secret to a successful mass email is the BCC field. The message still sends out, but the only people who can possibly receive a response is the one who initially sent it.

The guy in the office who has 'privledged' information about something. He constantly reminds you that he knows something you don't know, but says he's not able to talk about it.

So - stop talking about it!

The guy in the office who has 'privledged' information about something. He constantly reminds you that he knows something you don't know, but says he's not able to talk about it.

So - stop talking about it!

So one of the "I could tell you, but I would have to kil you" volunteerer type?

The secret to a successful mass email is the BCC field. The message still sends out, but the only people who can possibly receive a response is the one who initially sent it.

Yes, that makes a lot of sense!

Not joking, the one today was titled "My Gran dog needs a home"

My boss is quitting. That annoys the hell out of me.

Best boss I've ever had. Did his best to protect us from the bull**** that was being rained down upon us from his bosses.

We are going to have to split his job responsibilities between three of us because that's how good he was at his job.

This is a co-worker-related etiquette question:

I work with a disabled person. He insists that the handicap bathroom stalls are strictly for him. In his eyes they are just like a handicap parking spot - no one else should be allowed to use them. He gets angry and very vocal when someone else uses them.

My opinion is that we have about 20 bathrooms at the facility and only 1 disabled person. It doesn't make sense to reserve all the handicap stalls for him in case nature calls. I think the proper etiquette is the not use the handicap stall if others are open, but if the others are in use it's fair game. He'll just have to wait like everyone else.

This is a co-worker-related etiquette question:

I work with a disabled person. He insists that the handicap bathroom stalls are strictly for him. In his eyes they are just like a handicap parking spot - no one else should be allowed to use them. He gets angry and very vocal when someone else uses them.

My opinion is that we have about 20 bathrooms at the facility and only 1 disabled person. It doesn't make sense to reserve all the handicap stalls for him in case nature calls. I think the proper etiquette is the not use the handicap stall if others are open, but if the others are in use it's fair game. He'll just have to wait like everyone else.
I would tend to agree with you.

I also agree.

The parking stalls are handicap only. The bathroom stalls are handicap accessible. "Accessible" and "only" do not mean the same things.

And the short urinal isn't reserved for only short people.

I understand his frustration, but the guy is just as able as everyone else to take an elevator to another floor when there is a "full house."

Btw the bathroom requirement varies by building type, but generally for new construction, the ADA requires 1 accessible stall if there are less than 5 stalls. If there are 6 or more stalls, one has to be accessible and one more has to be 3 feet wide.

I also agree.

The parking stalls are handicap only. The bathroom stalls are handicap accessible. "Accessible" and "only" do not mean the same things.

And the short urinal isn't reserved for only short people.

I understand his frustration, but the guy is just as able as everyone else to take an elevator to another floor when there is a "full house."

Btw the bathroom requirement varies by building type, but generally for new construction, the ADA requires 1 accessible stall if there are less than 5 stalls. If there are 6 or more stalls, one has to be accessible and one more has to be 3 feet wide.
since when?!?

The instagram sports guy!

- " Dude!!!!! did you hear! kobe bryant clips his toe nails on tuesdays!! (insert a picture from instagram)"

- " man, I don't know what i'm gonna do, I can't watch the game tonight and kobe is going to be wearing his new shoes! (insert picture of kobes shoes from instagram)
- " Wow man did you know that all the games this year (insert random stupid fact) (insert random stupid picture)

- " F%$* yes! we just signed player to 10 years 500 billion dollar contract!

Who Gives A ****!!

New hires who tell you they know the equipment but when you ask them to do something on it they have no clue what to do.

Look, I'll teach you if you don't know but don't F'n tell me you know the equipment if you don't.

Had a boss once that was a good guy to work for - knew his stuff, backed up his employees with higher-ups, etc - but had the manners of a goat. You'd be in his office talking to him about something and he'd roll up on one cheek and let one rip - and I swear to dog something died up there 'cause the stench would peel paint.

And did I mention that he picked his nose? Constantly? He came over to my desk once when I was eating lunch - a few of us had ordered pizza that day. He saw the slice I hadn't gotten to yet and proceeded to whip out his pocket knife and cut a portion of the slice off and eat it without so much as a "Mind if I have a bite?"...and without washing his hands from his last nasal mining expedition. I told him to take the rest of the slice because I was full. <shudder>

I could never understand someone who takes 1/2 a doughnut or bagel. Like who is going to eat that other 1/2 left in the box? Take the whole thing and toss the rest!...or maybe better yet don't take anything.

Back