Thin mouth feel from last few batches.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Finli

Reaction score
I'm not sure what I am doing but my last few batches both kit and not of extract brews, have felt thin. I have seen it with my wines as of late too which makes me feel like I'm doing something wrong here. I have no other indication other than it's been recent. I popped my farm house from a NB kit after 2yrs bulk aging and it was good tasted fine but felt thin. Any thoughts??? I know it's not much info to go on but what can I do to fix the mouthfeel issue? Maybe all grain will resolve it?

I've been having the same issue with my beers. Using Munton's Light DME and US-05 lets most of my beers ferment all the way down to 1.005-1.008, and even when steeping 6-8oz Carapils, the mouthfeel has felt very thin/watery.

Recently, though, I've been experimenting with Maltodextrin, and it's worked extremely well. Even though most beers have finished at nearly the same gravity, the mouthfeel has been different. 8oz of Maltodextrin makes a big difference, and 4 ounce makes a moderate difference. I've been really happy with it.

Extract beers are notoriously thin bodied. It's fine for most styles but if you're trying to do a stout or something similar, you need some add-ins to up the body.

As mentioned above, maltodextrin works great for that purpose. Adding it to the boil is the best way to go but if you've already completed fermentation you can boil some in a couple cups of water and let it cool then add it to the keg or bottling bucket.

Maltodextrin will increase the body of your beer without adding anything to the flavor as we are not able to perceive its taste. Lactose also works well with adding body but does add sweetness.

Oh this is great information thanks. I will try to add some now in the post fermentation method. You are saying 8oz per 5 gals? Or per gallon?

Oh this is great information thanks. I will try to add some now in the post fermentation method. You are saying 8oz per 5 gals? Or per gallon?

8oz for 5-6 gallons has worked well for me. For example, the batch I used 8oz in moved my IPA from having light/extra light body to medium/medium-light body.

I'm not sure what I am doing but my last few batches both kit and not of extract brews, have felt thin. I have seen it with my wines as of late too which makes me feel like I'm doing something wrong here. I have no other indication other than it's been recent. I popped my farm house from a NB kit after 2yrs bulk aging and it was good tasted fine but felt thin. Any thoughts??? I know it's not much info to go on but what can I do to fix the mouthfeel issue? Maybe all grain will resolve it?

Have you marked your fermentors for accurate volumes?

Extract beers are notoriously thin bodied. It's fine for most styles but if you're trying to do a stout or something similar, you need some add-ins to up the body.

As mentioned above, maltodextrin works great for that purpose. Adding it to the boil is the best way to go but if you've already completed fermentation you can boil some in a couple cups of water and let it cool then add it to the keg or bottling bucket.

Maltodextrin will increase the body of your beer without adding anything to the flavor as we are not able to perceive its taste. Lactose also works well with adding body but does add sweetness.

Perhaps it is just a poorly designed recipe by someone. I would not apply a statement like this to all extract recipes.

How are your boils looking? full force, or barely? and are you doing full or partial.

just gathering info here...

Perhaps it is just a poorly designed recipe by someone. I would not apply a statement like this to all extract recipes.

https://www.morebeer.com/products/maltodextrin-4-oz.html

"Adding Maltodextrin to your extract brew will help you fine-tune the body and mouthfeel without affecting the flavor."

You don't see them selling maltodextrin to all-grain brewers. I agree, it's not all recipes/styles but for something like a rich stout you need help when doing an extract version.

I always felt like I could get a more forceful boil. And generally most have been 90 min with only the last 60 having additions. I have used steeping adjuncts too.

Glad I found this thread. I too have been getting "thin" beers. m_c_zero of I add the maltodextrin to my bottling bucket how does this effect my priming sugars? Should I cut back on corn sugar?

Back