Thin beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barnbrews

Reaction score
Hello all, I'm new to brewing. I've made a few extract batches to date. The problem I am having is that my beer has a very thin mouthfeel. Is that typical of extract brewing or am I doing something wrong?

One batch was an extract kit, the others have been recipes I found. The kit batch didn't feel as thin as the others.

Style? Amount of hops? Steeping grains? We need a recipe.

Stout. 5 gal. Batch
2 oz. cascade at start of boil, 1 oz. with 10 min left.
6.6 lbs light lme.
Half lb. each of crystal 40, black malt, roasted barley
Recipe called for steeping grains @ 150 for 30 min.
60 min. Boil
I used S-04 yeast

Try adding some carapils,flaked oats/wheat/barley or lactose to your recipes.

How long has it been in bottles. Often a beer may seem thin at two weeks but get better at 3 weeks.

I noticed that with my very first brew. Itasted it at two weeeks and my wife and I both commented that it was good but think. A week later and we both agreed that it was much better.

Maltodextrin is also a good addition for additional body. It can beadded at the end of the boil or at priming with your priming sugar.

As mentioned you can add things for body. I'm not sure how well it works to steep flaked grains, but the maltodextrin should do it. Realize also where you're starting though - a 1.045, 4% ABV stout I would expect to be pretty light bodied. If you want a bigger, fuller bodied stout start with a better recipe, something like this for example.

Back