Thermowells

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

parasonic

Reaction score
I recently bought some thermowells from St. Pat's for a set of Ashcroft thermometers. I'll be ready to start brewing probably this weekend after I finish welding my stands and weld the fittings to the kettles. The thermowells are really nice, but there's a huge gap between the thermometer probe and the thermowell cavity. Does anyone have experience with filling the well? I need some sort of heat conducting material--it's been recommended on one spec sheet to use a graphite+glycerine compound. If I don't get good conduction, my temperatures will be at the very least very laggy and probably way off. If only silicone thermal compound weren't so expensive...

You're at least asking the right question. 25 years ago I worked with a fabric dryer in a tire plant that had thermowells with too much thermal mass. Indicated and actual temperatures swung 180 degrees out of phase, with disastrous process results that lasted 20 years because no one asked the right question. So here's my question:

Why do you *need* a thermowell?

I'm guessing that either a SS thermometer or an appropriiate sensor can be placed anyplace in a brewing operation without a well. Thermowells are for protection from intense environments. Brewing doesn't qualify.

Tom

Back