Initial impressions of the Ss Brew Tech 10G Infusion mash tun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rev2010

Reaction score
If TLDR - just skip to the pro's/con's at the bottom

This isn't technically a review since I've only used it for two brews so far, my pilsner and amber. Gonna be a few weeks before I use it again so I figured I'd post an initial opinion on it.

For a little bit of background:
For years I mashed in a Rubbermaid tun with bazooka screen and with my previous Monster Mill 2 mill (non-Pro) I would get a strongly consistent 86% efficiency. After some life changes and a move to an apartment and hiatus from brewing I started up again with a Robobrew. Didn't care for it so switched back to Rubbermaid & bazooka tube. This time however, and using the MM2 Pro mill, my efficiency tended to swing quite a bit between 76% and 83% which was starting to annoy me. I sometimes noticed when draining ended from the tun I would still see a pocket of pooled wort so I knew I was often leaving wort behind. I double batch sparge and still I couldn't always seem to get out all the wort even though I do tilt the tun forward. I started thinking of a change and I always admired the Ss zero deadspace design with 5° sloped bottom. I figured I can give it a try and if I don't like it either return it or sell it and take a little loss.

Back to the Ss: On the two brews I've used it with so far I got 83% efficiency with the Pilsner and 82% with the amber. I didn't see any wort pooling and when cleaning out the tun the grain was much drier than when I would clean out the Rubbermaid which clearly showed more wort extraction from the Ss. I'll now list some things I noticed using it then put a pro's/con's at the bottom:

Using the Ss I get more fine particles making it through and while I do a vorlauf of two 16oz measuring cups what happens is it stays fairly clear until the runoff is almost done, at which point then a whole bunch of the fine grain particles come through again. So, to solve this I simply use a double mesh strainer going into the boil kettle. Works like a charm but it's an extra thing to have to do. I've also noticed the runoff from the Ss is slower than from my Rubbermaid. I took a measuring tape and measured the drain hole in the floor of the tun and found it's not an exact 1/2" wide. I am guessing that is why the flow is a little slower. Not a big deal at all, especially for fly sparging, but draining does take a slight bit more time when double batch sparging. I definitely prefer welded vs weldless and the only minor grip is my weld is done in a way where the valve is ever so slightly angled upward. It's so minute that I didn't even notice it, but what happens is when draining without using tubing attached, like when I vorlauf using a measuring cup, when runoff almost stops wort starts to run back along the bottom of the valve where it then drips off. Just would be nice if it were level so this didn't happen.

Preheating is essential just like with a Rubbermaid tun and I recommend using a slightly higher temp preheat water. If you do so it holds temps amazingly! I use 4-5 gallons of 170 degree preheat water. When I mashed in with my amber the temp was 153.5. When the mash was over an hour later it still read 153.5, and that was read with my calibrated thermometer. The included digital thermometer works fine but as many reviews have noted it takes quite a bit of time (10-15 minutes?) to reach the actual temp & stabilize. So you cannot mash in and use that as your measure of hitting the proper temp, you will still need to use your trusted thermometer.

I've measured the amount of wort that sits beneath the false bottom to be roughly 50oz, so I always calculate my desire quart per pound ratio (1.33 is what I use) and add another .39 gallon of water to my strike water calculation as that liquid will be sitting under the grain not contacting it the entire mash rest. Now onto the pro's & con's.

Pro's:
1. Holds temperature better than my orange Rubbermaid cooler tun. I did several tests with water and different lengths of time and in each instance the Ss lost less heat than the Rubbermaid. And as mentioned above, with grain in it (extra thermal mass) it holds temp even more solidly.
2. Zero deadspace design gets every last drop out.
3. False bottom design appears to work better than my bazooka tube and not create any channeling as I don't have visible puddles of wort left in the tub when flow has stopped. This has lead to a small efficiency bump/stabilization in efficiency
4. Thermowell is helpful to have - didn't have one for my rubbermaid tun, though it does take quite some time for the digital thermometer to come to temp and stabilize.

Con's:
1. False bottom gasket can be a little bit of a nuisance as sometimes when trying to insert it can pop off. You get used to inserting it correctly (slow and easy) however.
2. It's quite heavy. I can still lift it with grain and water in it but for dumping the grains I scoop them out. Honestly though it's no problem at all and with my Rubbermaid I always had to have another person help to dump it anyway.
3. The rubber feet suck. They pop off super easily. Not an issue if it's going to be keeping stationary and you can simply use without the feet attached. I do wish Ss would change all their rubber feet to hard plastic.
4. The false bottom does let through some finer particles and I did not have this issue with the cooler tun w/ bazooka tube. I mill a bit fine however so depending on your gap setting you might not experience this.

So far I'm liking the tun a lot. I'm very impressed with the heat retention and was skeptical it would outperform the Rubbermaid. Too early to say conclusively but so far it appears to have accomplished what I was going for - 1. Stabilizing efficiency. 2. Stabilizing total volumes. With the Rubbermaid and seeing I was leaving behind wort I also had some issues with meeting the calculated volumes. Since the switch that also is no longer an issue. 3. Getting away from the Robobrew and the possible inherent issues with pump clogging and human error issues. I one time forgot to reset the strike water temp to the mash rest temp and after mashing in soon after saw the temp was climbing to 165. My fault yes, but I wanted to eliminate that possibility.

It's a rather expensive piece of gear and for many the cost is not justifiable and I can completely understand that. I went with it as for me the frustration involved with the Robobrew was just too great and the frustration of efficiency swings and wort volume swings with the Rubbermaid was getting to me. My last two brews with the Ss were the most stress-free I've had in a while.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

These are the fine particles of grain that got through the FB and were caught by the strainer:

4.jpg

What’s your mill setting?

Like I said, I do mill finer than average. I don't know the exact gap setting but I used a sample credit card like you get in the mail. Since credit cards are typically .030 thick I'm figuring it's around there, perhaps sample card are even a bit thinner. I'm curious to test if I discarded the fine particles if more would come out for the sparges or if that's all there is and getting ride of them means I'd only have to filter one time. Again though, for me it's not that much a nuisance.

Rev.

Hmmm those particles don't look right to me . I use a "jaybird" false bottom and do not get any particles at all into the boil kettle. I recirculate through the whole mash thought. I would consider vorlafing longer as having to use a screen like that seems abit much especially for a specifically made fb. Cheers

I recirculate through the whole mash thought. I would consider vorlafing longer as having to use a screen like that seems abit much especially for a specifically made fb. Cheers

Yeah if you recirculate at some point all those bits would get filtered by the grain bed. As for vorlaufing longer... that is actually more work and time consuming than simply using the dual mesh strainer. Just going to continue using the strainer. If I decide to take a chance someday I might try widening my mill gap a little to see if that stops the fine bits without losing efficiency. But again, I don't really mind the straining since I don't have to really do anything other then put it on top the kettle and run the tubing into it.

Rev.

Don't sweat it with the silicone gasket, it's bound to break soon anyway while putting it on. Because the FB has irregular edges (holes are pre-drilled and some will overlap with the edge) the gasket will be damaged and sooner or later snap.
This happened with my 15 gal BrewKettle with SSB false bottom and now SSB doesn't sell replacement gaskets for some reason? Just have to hope that the FB will seal just as well without and will be testing this in my next brew.

Don't sweat it with the silicone gasket, it's bound to break soon anyway while putting it on.

I ordered a replacement o-ring with the initial order just so I have a backup. If it snaps after a fair amount of uses I will probably order half a dozen at that point. If it snaps within only a couple of brews I will probably look to make my own alternative. I also don't keep the gasket on the false bottom, I remove it after each use. I definitely like the seal it creates and while some have reported using the FB without the gasket successfully I still find it hard to believe some grain wouldn't get underneath. Looks to me like it shouldn't be too hard to use silicone tubing around the edges like people have done with other false bottoms. I could also try buffing the edges of the FB to smooth them out. Had to do that for a burr that was quite sharp on the FB. I dunno, we'll see eventually :)

Rev.

My issue is that I have the 15 gal and they don't make the seal in that size any more. I whish I had know and had order half a dozen spares before it was too late to do so. I'll just see if it works without which would be great considering I remove the FB too (for cleaning and to turn the kettle into a whirlpool) and it's really a pain to put it back in with the gasket.

My issue is that I have the 15 gal and they don't make the seal in that size any more. I whish I had know and had order half a dozen spares before it was too late to do so.

Have you contacted them to ask if there's a way you can buy them? I'd imagine they should have back stock or can special order them for you. I for one would be pissed if I had a product they just stopped offer supplies for that are prone to wear. If they don't have any way to provide you with replacement gaskets express your disappointment and ask if "as a customer" you can exchange the item for something currently supported. I'd be surprised if they would rather lose a customer rather than accommodate you when it's them that dropped support (so to speak).

Rev.

I don't live in the US and this makes me an "indirect" customer. Don't get me started about my local distributor...
I actually like the kettle and would be hard pressed finding a replacement. The InfuSSion tun is nice but the 10 is too small and the 20 is quite large (and expensive...).

Yeah if you recirculate at some point all those bits would get filtered by the grain bed. As for vorlaufing longer... that is actually more work and time consuming than simply using the dual mesh strainer. Just going to continue using the strainer. If I decide to take a chance someday I might try widening my mill gap a little to see if that stops the fine bits without losing efficiency. But again, I don't really mind the straining since I don't have to really do anything other then put it on top the kettle and run the tubing into it.

Rev.
Whatever floats your brewing boat. Just seems alot of money to spend to have that compromise mostly as the false bottoms number one job is to seperate the wort from the grains. Cheers

I use two layers of straining on my cheap bayou classic MT first the BC fb than a 30" seaction of stainless mesh toliet line which travels the bottom circumference of my kettle under the false bottom.
I do this because I use very small tan 24v dc pumps that would otherwise plug... it works extremely well to stop all grain from going through and as an unintended side perk, I found the 1.8gpm flow and FB setup gives me an average of 91% total efficiency which is great.I also crush at credit card depth.

This is good to hear that the ss tun is working better than a cooler.. Ive read just about every review posted here and on youtube on them comparing performance against coolers and the results usually arent as favorable. Maybe they improved them somehow?

Last edited:
Whatever floats your brewing boat. Just seems alot of money to spend to have that compromise mostly as the false bottoms number one job is to seperate the wort from the grains. Cheers

Well, no one product I have found yet is perfect. If I were Ss I would've made the FB holes a little smaller. But it's only one aspect to the product. I like the other benefits greatly and currently don't know of any other zero dead space mash tun. Would be simple enough as well to cut a fine mesh layover top screen which should also do the job - like the top screen on the Robobrew. Yes it's pricey, and they don't even offer returns on items that are used, and still not past 30 days I believe. But I decided I wanted to keep it. As mentioned at the bottom, my last two brews with it were my least stressful brewdays in quite some time.

Rev.

This is good to hear that the ss tun is working better than a cooler.. Ive read just about every review posted here and on youtube on them comparing performance against coolers and the results usually arent as favorable. Maybe they improved them somehow?

I don't think they've updated it in any way. When I was looking up reviews I found most to claim it held better than a cooler and I was highly skeptical. I only saw one review where the guy, who was clearly pissed off, was comparing it to his Chapman Thermobarrel and his video review basically slaughtered the Ss. I took his review as too biased to consider having any usable value.

Rev.

I don't think they've updated it in any way. When I was looking up reviews I found most to claim it held better than a cooler and I was highly skeptical. I only saw one review where the guy, who was clearly pissed off, was comparing it to his Chapman Thermobarrel and his video review basically slaughtered the Ss. I took his review as too biased to consider having any usable value.

Rev.
thats the guy who ended up trading the ss tun to chapman for the free chapman version of it after comparing them side by side..theres a long thread with him and other owners complaining of it not holding temps well and being told thats why ss sells the supplemental heater setup for it.

Last edited:
When you cite “efficiency”, what efficiency are you referring to?

a long thread with him and other owners complaining of it not holding temps well and being told thats why ss sells the supplemental heater setup for it.

I can only attest to having compared it to my 10G Rubbermaid cooler. I've done many tests with water with varying lengths of time and also have done two brews with it. In all those comparisons it beat out the cooler. Not by miles but it definitely performed better.

Rev.

I can only attest to having compared it to my 10G Rubbermaid cooler. I've done many tests with water with varying lengths of time and also have done two brews with it. In all those comparisons it beat out the cooler. Not by miles but it definitely performed better.

Rev.
I'm not doubting your results afterall your the one who has dont the comparison here.

I'm not doubting your results afterall your the one who has dont the comparison here.

Wasn't implying you were doubting me at all. :) Just posted that in response because that's literally all I've compared it to, the round Rubbermaid tun. Perhaps the Thermobarrel or other tuns performs better, could be. As for the heating pad, I think it's a goofy money grab.

Rev.

thats the guy who ended up trading the ss tun to chapman for the free chapman version of it after comparing them side by side

Just rewatched his YouTube vid killing some time while doing laundry. Interesting to note he mentions the grain bits like I get when near the end of the runoff. So it's not just me and my crush. Again, I don't care that much as I strain it, but interesting to hear another report this.

Rev.

Just rewatched his YouTube vid killing some time while doing laundry. Interesting to note he mentions the grain bits like I get when near the end of the runoff. So it's not just me and my crush. Again, I don't care that much as I strain it, but interesting to hear another report this.

Rev.
I think the fact that the bottom is slopped for a complete drain means all the grains that normally goes through a FB and sits there under it gets pulled into the drain on this setup so it kind of makes sense. that or the holes are too big. I have to put nylon mesh over my fb on my 3bbl kettle or I get a lot of grain pulled through and into my rims. I am ordering the slotted upgrade FB for it eventually but its frustrationg that they would build them that way, I crush with a much more course setting on the mill at the Brewpub as well. the mesh works wonderfully but makes cleaning a tad more difficult.

I think the fact that the bottom is slopped for a complete drain means all the grains that normally goes through a FB and sits there under it gets pulled into the drain on this setup so it kind of makes sense. that or the holes are too big. I have to put nylon mesh over my fb on my 3bbl kettle or I get a lot of grain pulled through and into my rims. I am ordering the slotted upgrade FB for it eventually but its frustrationg that they would build them that way, I crush with a much more course setting on the mill at the Brewpub as well. the mesh works wonderfully but makes cleaning a tad more difficult.
Good point about the slopped bottom. That would make sense. Cheers

Make the switch from plastic cooler to the SS last year. Very happy with the product. I use a RIMS and recirculate. Wort is very clear into the boil kettle. It is MUCH easier to clean.

Make the switch from plastic cooler to the SS last year. Very happy with the product. I use a RIMS and recirculate. Wort is very clear into the boil kettle. It is MUCH easier to clean.
Seems to be a lot of people with these using supplemental heating like rims or herms , one of the reasons I wondered about its ability to hold temps on its own.

The SS holds temps well. I had the RIMS on my system using a cooler. Just kept it hooked up with the new mash tun. Don't use it for the full mash time. Start with it running to stabilize temp. Will run it again for the last ~10min to clarify the wort. Tried using it to ramp to mash-out. Never has worked very well for that as it is 110v and 1500w.

I placed a fine stainless mesh (240 micron) over the false bottom and it keeps all the bits out.

However, after the vorlauf (I recirculate full period), the wort gets cloudy when the grain bed at the false bottom runs dry.
I’m fly sparging now, so I just add and extra quart of sparge water and cut the valve when my kettle is full.
This method maintains super clear wort in the kettle.

Thanks for the review. I went back and forth between ss and chapman. Went with the chapman because I like the 15 gallon size, but the ss seemed like an awesome product. I will say the false bottom in the chapman does let some grains through, but nothing excessive. A little larger holes than my domed false bottom by morebeer so I was a little worried, but it works fine. Enjoy your tun

Rev.
Hi there - re: 'others reporting this'

I recently purchased the Infussion MT and am experiencing that same grain problem. Never had it with my old MT / cooler...always clear wort after vorlaufing 2-3 quarts. I'm sure that's likely because the cooler MT had the bazooka braid, but even adjusting my crush from .038 to .045 (wouldn't want to go more corse than that), a good amount still makes it through...I could strain it as you mentioned...I could also add a bag and do BIAB, but for the cost of the thing, you'd think you wouldn't have to take the extra step...

Now that it's been a few years, how has your experience been going with it?

I switched to a Blichmann false bottom and it's not any better than what comes with the Infussion MT. My old cooler with a manifold on the bottom did a better job of keeping out the bits. I just run the wort through my hop spider as it goes into the kettle. That works fine. There really isn't that much left after vorlaufing (nothing like the picture in the first post), it's just annoying. Overall, I like the unit.

I switched to a Blichmann false bottom and it's not any better than what comes with the Infussion MT. My old cooler with a manifold on the bottom did a better job of keeping out the bits. I just run the wort through my hop spider as it goes into the kettle. That works fine. There really isn't that much left after vorlaufing (nothing like the picture in the first post), it's just annoying. Overall, I like the unit.
Yeah - the hop spider is another way to keep things out...you'd just think for a product that's $450++ you'd not have to be supplementing the strainer / finding a solve.

It's crazy, the first pic is all the gunk UNDER the false bottom after the sparge; the silicone barrier is fine / makes a good seal, so confident that's not the issue.

Grain mill was set to .045'' – I was trying to go wider to see if less grain came through, which resulted in lower efficiency, but as you can see in the second image, a good amount made it through. That was all that passes to the kettle...

Attachments

• IMG_1745.JPG
    IMG_1745.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1743.JPG
    IMG_1743.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Yeah - the hop spider is another way to keep things out...you'd just think for a product that's $450++ you'd not have to be supplementing the strainer / finding a solve.

It's crazy, the first pic is all the gunk UNDER the false bottom after the sparge; the silicone barrier is fine / makes a good seal, so confident that's not the issue.

Grain mill was set to .045'' – I was trying to go wider to see if less grain came through, which resulted in lower efficiency, but as you can see in the second image, a good amount made it through. That was all that passes to the kettle...
I don't get anywhere near that much through mine, although I probably vorlauf more than most. I don't even get a teaspoon full of grain in my hop spider.

I don't get anywhere near that much through mine, although I probably vorlauf more than most. I don't even get a teaspoon full of grain in my hop spider.
Interesting. Out of curiosity:

- What's your mill gap setting?
- How many qts or for how long would you say you're vorlaufing?

Back