Thermostat debate...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DRoyLenz

Reaction score
Hi All -

I am looking to build a fermentation chamber/kegerator (or two) using Sanyo 4912 refrigerators. I wanted to open up a debate regarding the pros and cons of various thermostats. Things I was hoping to learn more about are ease of setup, flexibility, and dependibility. Also, since these will be set up in a "high traffic" area of my apartment, I'd like something that looks good too.

Whether it's Ranco, Johnson Controls, or whatever, let me know your experiences, positive or negative.

i like the Ronco two stage ETC. it has two separate plugs you can plug the fridge and a heating element into. you can set both plugs for heating, cooling, or one for each. each can have its own trigger temp and variance. its brain dead easy to set. also if the power goes out it will remember the settings.

the only thing i didn't like was the fact that temperature sensor didn't fit in the thermowell i bought so i had to use some sand paper to sand it down slightly. from what i hear you can just tape the sensor to the outside of the carboy and insulate it.

I use a Ronco 2 stage as well. It's a no brainer to wire and to use. The only con is how ugly it is. The love controllers are pretty snazzy....especially when incorporated into the front of a keezer. But for basic ferm control....the Ronco works great.

Back