Oxiclean...two years and no infections

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You are supposed to add cold water in to the container you are filling and THEN add the StarSan mixing gently. If you pour water on star san it will foam like a mother !@#$
I dont remember but knowing me I added the Star San first and blasted it with water "to get it good and mixed up"

Oxyclean foams alot when I add hot tap water. I wait for the foam to subside and then fill to the top with more hot water
Thats exactly how I do it...in the tub till it overflows to get the entire bucket clean and SANITIZED....had to throw that in LOL

Then just tilt the bucket empty and rinse with the shower head...simple system but going back to post #1....its never let me down

Last edited:
When adding acid, do as you oughter, add the acid to the water.

With both Oxyclean and Starsan, I fill my sink up with hot water and then add the chemicals. It doesn’t foam at all that way.

Well, I heated the water in the erlenmeyer flask to 160F and only afterward added the Oxiclean Free, and it did bubble up and foam quite a bit. So, maybe higher temperature, and the amount added, has something to do with it. Or maybe its the more confined space of the flask that makes it more noticeable. Maybe in a sink or bucket it wouldn't be so much.

Well, I heated the water in the erlenmeyer flask to 160F and only afterward added the Oxiclean Free, and it did bubble up and foam quite a bit. So, maybe higher temperature, and the amount added, has something to do with it.
What your experiencing is "The power of Oxiclean" :D...Your overthinking it with getting the temp right. Just stick some in some luke warm water and let it do its thing.

You are supposed to add cold water in to the container you are filling and THEN add the StarSan mixing gently. If you pour water on star san it will foam like a mother !@#$

Oxyclean foams alot when I add hot tap water. I wait for the foam to subside and then fill to the top with more hot water

The big difference is that the Starsan foam is just fine, but the Oxyclean foam requires rinsing.

What your experiencing is "The power of Oxiclean" :D...Your overthinking it with getting the temp right. Just stick some in some luke warm water and let it do its thing.

I tried it with luke warm water, and yes, it doesn't bubble-foam as much. In fact, very little by comparison.

Last edited:
I run tap as hot as it goes for fermenter (fermonster), kegs and any bulk/large items.

If something needs a heavier clean, I'll add boiling water and raise the temp closer to 150.

Small parts like poppets, I set my electric tea kettle to 160 and soak in a small pyrex bowl with oxi. Soak until cool enough to handle.

Since I'm completely rinsing the vessel clean, I'm not sure that it makes any difference whether I use Oxiclean Fresh vs. regular, cheaper Oxiclean. I suspect it doesn't, as I suspect anything remaining after a thorough rinse would be just trace amounts. However, if anyone knows differently, please post.

Since I'm completely rinsing the vessel clean, I'm not sure that it makes any difference whether I use Oxiclean Fresh vs. regular, cheaper Oxiclean. I suspect it doesn't, as I suspect anything remaining after a thorough rinse would be just trace amounts. However, if anyone knows differently, please post.
The general rule is unscented for obvious reasons...If you used the scented stuff and it works without residual scent post it but it seems easy enough just to use the the unscented stuff

The general rule is unscented for obvious reasons...If you used the scented stuff and it works without residual scent post it but it seems easy enough just to use the the unscented stuff

Are you using unscented also? Because that's what I've tried so far. For some reason I thought you were using the scented stuff, I guess because it's cheaper.

The preference is unscented, but many including myself have used the scented version in a pinch. The concern is there may be residual scent may not be removed causing off or unexpected flavors. I usually 3-4x rinse if stuck with scented folled by a sniff test.

https://beersmith.com/blog/2019/02/...tion-with-rick-theiner-beersmith-podcast-187/

Topics in This Week’s Episode (47:41)

• Today my guest is Rick Theiner. Rick is the President of Logic, Inc, makers of the Eco-logic line of cleaning and sanitation products including One-step, Straight-A and San-Step.
  • Rick explains the difference between cleaning and sanitation and why they are separate steps using different chemicals. He also explains the more stringent disinfecting and sterilizing terms.
  • We discuss the cleaning process which removes dirt and biofilms and how the material/surface being cleaned makes a big difference.
  • Rick tells us why the soil/biofilm types also matter and it often takes a different combination of chemicals and action to remove them all.
  • We discuss the four basic elements of cleaning: Time, temperature, mechanical action and chemical action.
  • Rick also explains the many different phsio-chemical reactions going on when we clean a surface.
  • We talk about sanitizing agents and why they are different from cleaning agents.
  • Rick provides his basic rules for cleaning for home brewers.
  • Rick tells us why household cleaners may not be a great substitute for cleaners and sanitizers designed for home brewing.
  • He walks us through the products his company offers including Straight-A, One-Step and San-Step NS and how each are best used.

Having tried it now both ways, I do seem to get better flask cleaning when using oxyclean at 160F than when using it luke warm. Cleaning glassware is currently what I use it for. Maybe it's different with other materials.

Last edited:
Reporting back: very happy with Oxiclean Free as a cleaner. I'm planning to buy more of it.

Last edited:
I have heard reports of Oxi leaving a scale on things that are soaked for long periods of time. One of the videos that crazy sanitation guy made shows scale deposits on his brand new glass fermentors. For that reason, I limit soaking to 30 minutes. I think the other ingredients in PBW allow longer soaks.

I have heard reports of Oxi leaving a scale on things that are soaked for long periods of time.

I got scale without even soaking, just regular cleaning. However, it was only ever on the floor of my brew kettle. I've never gotten any form of residue using Oxiclean on anything else such as my stainless fermenters, Rubbermaid mash tun, new Stainless Ss Brewtech mash tun, etc. Not sure why it only affects the floor of the kettle but it happened with both my previous Blichmann kettle and my current Spike kettle. As a result I went back to PBW as it doesn't leave any scale.

Rev.

Yes 2 years is proof it works...what does it take to convince someone...5 years ...10 years...20 years

I ask you, Whats the threshold before you believes it works

Lack of something does not prove something else, as others have stated. No amount of time = proof, it only equals probability. Only objective evidence that is not dependent on other factors is proof. (see the seatbelt and shingles questions above)

The only real "proof" would be to culture a series of swabs of brewing equipment "sanitized" with oxiclean and rinsed vs swabs of equipment sanitized with starsan, calculate the initial cell counts, average the data over the number of swabs taken (must be a statistically viable number to get you standard deviation down), and then compare the results. If the oxiclean shows no statistical difference from the star san, I will call it a moot point.

If it DOES show a statistical difference from the star san, then not getting an infection while using it is simply a matter of probability.

I run tap as hot as it goes for fermenter (fermonster), kegs and any bulk/large items.

If something needs a heavier clean, I'll add boiling water and raise the temp closer to 150.

Small parts like poppets, I set my electric tea kettle to 160 and soak in a small pyrex bowl with oxi. Soak until cool enough to handle.

You were so right about 160F.

Does higher than 160F work even better? There's no question that oxyclean works far better at 160F than it does at even 120F.

You were so right about 160F.

Does higher than 160F work even better? There's no question that oxyclean works far better at 160F than it does at even 120F.
Believe it or not, I am occasionally right.

Regarding higher temps: yes, but, depends.
I use fermonsters so I'm cautious on temp for those. Usually only max tap water hot.

For non-heat sensitive items, I don't know that it hurts. I clean non-brew gear with a boil, kill heat and add oxy. Just did that in a stock-pot used for baked beans. Crusty burnt carbon layer on the bottom. Boil water, add oxy, cover till cool. Cleaning is a breeze.

Latest posts

Back