Thermostat controlled refrigerator idea, need help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

S2005

Reaction score
So, I was going to buy a chest style freezer, and toss a thermostat controller on it to use as a climate controlled fermentation chamber. At most, I'll only ever have 2 carboys going at once, and I only one 1 so far.

I haven't gotten the chest freezer yet, but I do have an extra full size refrigerator in the garage... I also already bought my thermostat controller from Amazon, and made my ghetto light bulb in a paint can heating element.

Just to throw this out there, I got the IMAGE® Mini Digital Temperature Controller Thermostat Aquarium Sensor STC-1000.

The refrigerator I have is a side by side (Freezer Left/Fridge Right) and I currently use the fridge side for beer (bottles, cans etc). I don't use the freezer side at all.

My question is, can I use that thermostat controller to ONLY control the freezer side? Anyone ever done something like that?

From the directions, and looking at the STC-1000, It looks like you cut off the plug end of a freezer/fridge and wire it through the controller so it can turn it on and off accordingly. However, on the back of my fridge, there is only one plug (obviously, like all other fridges) and it powers the fridge AND the freezer.

I found this thread. Its a long read, but it's helping my plan a bit!
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/side-side-kegerator-fermentation-chamber-161176/

Last edited by a moderator:
I think that as long as you put the STC-1000's temperature probe in the freezer compartment, it will keep the freezer side at whatever temp you set it at.

And you don't have to cut the plug off the end of your freezer cord. Wire the STC-1000 to an electrical outlet and plug the fridge into that.

I would be courious how constant the temperature on the refridgerator side would be and how much warmer than the freezer?

Thats the problem, the fridge side. I want it to not affect that at all. I want that to still be a beer fridge.

I only want the freezer side temp controlled.

(Also, side question, what is the best temp for a fermentation chamber? 70F?)

Thats the problem, the fridge side. I want it to not affect that at all. I want that to still be a beer fridge.

The freezer side does all the cooling. There is a fan that circulates air into the fridge side to cool.

Point is you would have to reverse the sides as the freezer side will be the coldest.

I'm sure someone here is smarter about refrigerators than me, but that won't stop me from taking a shot at your question. ;)

The power chord obviously runs both. If you want to intercept only the freezer side you would need to take the thing apart and just re-wire the freezer side's thermostat. That said, depending on how advanced your fridge is, I think the two sides operation are inter-related. On cheap fridges and dorm style fridges the fridge temp is just what is left over after you set the freeze temp. (or vice versa perhaps) I also think that most all refrigerators only have one compressor and radiator coils. So it might be difficult to separate unless you really know what you are doing.

As to fermentation temperature. That will vary between about 62 and 70 depending on your yeast strain and your beer recipe. I've also heard of people wanting the ability to get down to +/- 40 degrees F so they can cold crash things.

Good luck, keep us posted on how it goes.

The freezer side does all the cooling. There is a fan that circulates air into the fridge side to cool.

Point is you would have to reverse the sides as the freezer side will be the coldest.

This is bad news for my plan then :(

I'm sure someone here is smarter about refrigerators than me, but that won't stop me from taking a shot at your question. ;)

The power chord obviously runs both. If you want to intercept only the freezer side you would need to take the thing apart and just re-wire the freezer side's thermostat. That said, depending on how advanced your fridge is, I think the two sides operation are inter-related. On cheap fridges and dorm style fridges the fridge temp is just what is left over after you set the freeze temp. (or vice versa perhaps) I also think that most all refrigerators only have one compressor and radiator coils. So it might be difficult to separate unless you really know what you are doing.

As to fermentation temperature. That will vary between about 62 and 70 depending on your yeast strain and your beer recipe. I've also heard of people wanting the ability to get down to +/- 40 degrees F so they can cold crash things.

Good luck, keep us posted on how it goes.

Thank you so much for the reply. I'm doing some reading on some other threads I found about people who have done similar things with fridges. I'll eventually update this thread with what I end up doing :D

Back