Thermometer placement

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaBills

Reaction score
I am buying a 100 quart kettle to do double batch BIAB: http://www.foodservicewarehouse.com/update-international/sps-100/p5180.aspx. I am thinking about getting the sightglass/thermo combo but I want my sightglass to be as low on the pot as possible. My question is if I get the combo will the thermometer be too close to the heat source? I plan on having a heat shield as well. Or would I be better off getting a thermo separate from the sightglass?

If you want to be able to get temperature readings from more than one spot, you'll need to do something else. In my case, that was getting a quality (digital) thermometer that uses type K sensors. I have ones that you can submerge into extremely high temperature fluids (easily more than boiling) so I can get a reading from several locations without issue.

I know Bobby_M sells a lot of the combo items, and they're fine for the majority. I just find that thermometers installed into a MLT, HLT or BK just shy of useless. At best, you'll get the reading of what's right there. A few inches in any direction can be a different temperature, but you'll never know. What he sells is significantly cheaper than what I'm using. So, if you want to go the lower cost route, get the fitting from Bobby_M. I would also get (a the very least) a long stem instant/fast read digital thermometer too.

Besides, having the fixed thermometer probe sticking in from the side could be a bad thing for BIAB. Unless your bag will never actually touch it (so it can't rip on it) that is.

Thanks for replies. I plan to use a digital thermometer for mashing just by sticking it in the grains from the top after stirring like a madman. I mostly wanted the thermometer for when I'm cooling so I don't have to take measurements by sticking a thermo in the top. I know it's not really accurate for mashing but will give me a ball park estimate at least.

Goldiggie can you send me a link for a thermometer similar to the one you have?

Back