Thermometer for round cooler

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcsewnab

Reaction score
Hey all,
Does anyone have a suggestions for a themometer that would work with my 10 gallon round rubbermaid cooler? I would like to drill a hole and mount it right in the side of the cooler. I've seen the weldless ones but wanst sure if they would work on a plastic cooler. I dont want to have any leak problems.

I hate mine. I did exactly what you mention, but the cooler wall was so thick that I had to modify the weldless fitting to make it work. The thermometer probe hardly extends past the fitting, so as soon as a bit of grain works its way into the fitting, the temperature stops changing. My average mash temp (taken with a digital probe thermometer) could be as much as 30 degrees higher than the reading on the installed thermometer (calibrated accurately at 32 and 206 - the boiling temp of water at my altitude).

I'd suggest getting an instant read digital thermometer with a submersible probe that you can put right in the center of the mash.

Back