Thermometer for getting into Mashing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bacchus00

Reaction score
I want to start doing BIAB or Partial Mashes then go into All grain, I can't afford a Thermopen right now so how does this thermometer look from amazon. I have a Dial Probe but doesn't seem to be that accurate because it does get far enough into my 15G kettle to get the best reading on the water level for 5gallon full boil batches.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/WATERPROOF/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
Thermo works has a digital thermometer for much cheaper than the thermapen. Different reading time (not quite as fast) and maybe .1deg less accurate.

But in that same price range if I remember right. Check thermoworks's site.

also rememer thermometers like the one you posted, the metal part on the end of the wire is the only part waterproof. you can't actually put any of the wire into the mash.

you can, however, get a teflon (PTFE) lead for a k-style probe from thermoworks. you can drop that bad boy right into the mash.

Have you thought about a "floating dairy thermometer"? They are less than ten dollars each, very accurate, and completely waterproof.

That thermometer looks darn good to me.

EDIT: Also looks like it'd be easy to hold in one hand (and still be able to see the readout) while stirring with the other.

I used to use a floating thermometer but it took forever to adjust to the temperature so I consider them to be pretty worthless. The faster the temperature is read accurately, the better.

I'm testing my new RT301WA from ThermoWorks right now. So far I' m very happy with it. 5-6 second response - NICE. The stem is only 5" as opposed to 12" & 24" on the RT610B and was only $19 + ship. :mug:

Whatever you get, make sure you calibrate/test it in ice water and at boiling. I have a floating thermometer that reads a consistent 7*F high.

I have used the 12" Thermoworks thermometer with great success. It is "water resistant," not completely waterproof. It is probably the fourth or fifth thermometer I have tried, and have found it is very well suited for measuring my mash temp.

I love that thermoworks, it has stayed accurate in many uses. Good deal, too, I don't know why you'd spend so much more for a thermopen. b

Back