Thermocouple questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mtn_Brewer

Reaction score
I have an Auber PID wired to a k-type thermocouple meant to be placed in the air for kiln temp measuring and I would like to add another thermocouple meant for a thermowell to the system (the air sensor has an attached nut that won't fit inside the thermowell). Ideally, I would like to have a switch on the control panel that would allow me to toggle between the air and thermowell sensor. Would a standard electrical toggle switch work or would splicing this into the thermocouple wires screw them up?

Alternatively, if I cut the wires to the air thermocouple and attached them to the new thermocouple to just replace it and give it a longer reach, would this be ok or will this also screw up how it works?

I have an Auber PID wired to a k-type thermocouple meant to be placed in the air for kiln temp measuring and I would like to add another thermocouple meant for a thermowell to the system (the air sensor has an attached nut that won't fit inside the thermowell). Ideally, I would like to have a switch on the control panel that would allow me to toggle between the air and thermowell sensor. Would a standard electrical toggle switch work or would splicing this into the thermocouple wires screw them up?

Alternatively, if I cut the wires to the air thermocouple and attached them to the new thermocouple to just replace it and give it a longer reach, would this be ok or will this also screw up how it works?

To select different thermocouples requires special switches compatible with the thermocouple material.
Omega Engineering has all the materials you need for your project.
Selector switches
http://www.omega.com/pptst/OSW_SW14.html
Search for thermocouple extension wires to increase the length.

Cheers,
ClaudiusB

Low cost option, no selector switch required.

Get two panel K type jacks or similar connectors (round hole versions) and wire your thermocouples to the back.
http://www.omega.com/ppt/pptsc_lg.asp?ref=SPJ&Nav=

Get one male K type thermocouple connector and thermocouple wire, wire into your temp controller.
To select one of the two thermocouples you plug the male connector into one of the receptacles.

Cheers,
ClaudiusB

It seems kind of crazy to spend $100 on a switch, so I'll go with plan B (the male/female connectors). I was just hoping there was some $10 toggle switch solution. Thanks for the info.

Latest posts

Back