Therminator froze. Do you think it's ruined?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Therminator froze last month with water in. I just noticed it's bowed out on one corner. Do you think it's ruined? I can't think of anyway to test it?

image.jpg

Cap one side of the water channel, then connect your hose to the other side. If there is a leak, water will run out. Repeat with the wort side.

I was going to suggest that there is no way the think got damage, but if it's bowed then it's already in worse shape than I would have expected. Those things are bricks.

Personally, I would cap one side and pressurize with air or co2 while it is submerged in a bucket of water. Molecules are smaller and you would find more leaks. By submerging it, you will know exactly where it is leaking from and how bad.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Home Brew mobile app

I think what's important is to make sure your hose water doesn't contaminate your wort.

How about running plain water through the wort side and pumping water with some food coloring through the water size. If the water going through the wort comes out tinted, it's shot.

Looks like its still okay, but I may end up experimenting with it though and cut it in half. I've always been curious to see just how clean they are inside.

Looks like its still okay, but I may end up experimenting with it though and cut it in half. I've always been curious to see just how clean they are inside.

I'm curious enough about that myself to make you an offer: Cut it, post the pics, and I'll PayPal ya $10 towards a new one.

Anyone else similarly curious enough to subsidize this science project? :)

No need to fund it. It's gonna happen :) I just need to figure out if a hack saw will be enough.

Out-standing!

A hacksaw should do it, but it'll be hell. If you can find someone with a cutoff saw, preferably the ceramic wheel type, you'll be lovin' life :)

Know any machine shop guys you can bribe with beer?

My vote using a 4 1/2" grinder with cut off wheels for stainless. Two cuts, removing each "shoulder" so you can look thru it.

I don't think you will see much by cutting it in half. It's a plate heat exchanger. Google images will give you a better idea how it works. I've had to take a couple industrial ones apart for normal maintenance and they are pretty neat. But a cross section will not show you much.

Cutting across the in out tubes is a better picture than I imagined. That shows a bit more info. Nice pic bad67

I worried about the ability to properly clean a counterflow chiller, hence my love affair with my immersion chiller. I doubt I could be convinced to convert to a chill plate type design unless it could be disassembled, cleaned and reassembled. Thanks Jamil for making me a germaphobe!

If you want to mail it to me, I'll take it to my friend's metal shop and have him run it through his big ass metal band saw.

But damn, that's an expensive piece of equipment to cut open if it's still operating!

A rubber wheel is needed to make a decent cut. A band saw, hack saw is not the proper tool. I'm a little surprised at the Duda Diesel cut. That looks more like a radiator to me. Now I'm curious to see how a plate chiller from Duda or Therminator is actually constructed. It's not what I imagined. In the Duda the slight bulge might not ruin it. I'd test it first, but I'm leaning towards cutting it open to see.

I worried about the ability to properly clean a counterflow chiller, hence my love affair with my immersion chiller. I doubt I could be convinced to convert to a chill plate type design unless it could be disassembled, cleaned and reassembled. Thanks Jamil for making me a germaphobe!

This is my issue too. I back flow,pbw, bake, then CIP before I brew and I still worry. With the dent it mine I worry now that there is a crevice that gunk will hide.

Sabco makes this model, but looks like they jacked the price up to $750, was like 600 a week ago for a smaller plate version.

Front_Left-web-379x600.jpg

Latest posts

Back